Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Intresting. Three big nuggets from the updated article:

The authorization for the board to make changes sunsets in three years.
    IUP and WCU can not be merged with any other PASSHE schools (guess WCU can not "take over" Cheyney)
    No schools can be closed.

Also a lengthy review and comment period. This probably means that any proposed changes will come out relatively quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post

Insane speculation being a great tradition on this MB I'll step up and say that the first two mergers will be SRU/CLARION and LHU/MANSFIELD. Four in the West appears to be the minimum but who knows. In the East it seems another merger would be logical but I can't see which one. Any guesses ?
      I say Cheyney becomes part of Kutztown and Mansfield merges with Lock Haven, Bloom, or ESU. Mansfield was bailed out to the tune of $6 million this year. I have no guesses on the others.

Comment

Insane speculation being a great tradition on this MB I'll step up and say that the first two mergers will be SRU/CLARION and LHU/MANSFIELD. Four in the West appears to be the minimum but who knows. In the East it seems another merger would be logical but I can't see which one. Any guesses ?
        Clarion/SRU is a no-brainer. They are less than an hour apart.

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
          Intresting. Three big nuggets from the updated article:

The authorization for the board to make changes sunsets in three years.
          IUP and WCU can not be merged with any other PASSHE schools (guess WCU can not "take over" Cheyney)
          No schools can be closed.

Also a lengthy review and comment period. This probably means that any proposed changes will come out relatively quickly.
          I'll be interesting in seeing if WCU and CHEYNEY sharing functions (personnel, purchasing, maintenance etc) but maintaining separate identities could be possible. They're essentially in the same zip code. In fact there would seem to be potential savings in administrative staffing and eliminating duplication of work in several adjacent schools even short of merging. It would require some serious union negotiations but this whole process will require that one way or the other.

Comment

Eastern side of the state:
            Cheyney becomes an affiliate of Kutz
            Ship Becomes an affiliate of Millersville
            Mansfield becomes an affiliate of ECU
            LH becomes an affiliate of Bloom

Western side of the state:
            Edinboro becomes an affiliate of Slippery Rock
            Clarion becomes an affiliate of Cal

With WCU and IUP, that makes an eight school system with six affiliates.

Comment

I'll be interesting in seeing if WCU and CHEYNEY sharing functions (personnel, purchasing, maintenance etc) but maintaining separate identities could be possible. They're essentially in the same zip code. In fact there would seem to be potential savings in administrative staffing and eliminating duplication of work in several adjacent schools even short of merging. It would require some serious union negotiations but this whole process will require that one way or the other.
              The schools can't close...doesn't mean they cant merge (except for WCU and IUP) or become affiliates. The goal is to save $'s so I would think that from an administrative stand point and perhaps an athletic stand point, there would be very little duplication of effort. That could playout many ways with either everything consolidated at the "main" school or distributed between the two but not duplicated.

However it shakes out, think the plan hits the street relatively quickly (6 mo??). There is a long public comment period followed by a rewrite and a three year window before the law sunsets. Yes there is a provision that allows changes started inside that three year window but not yet completed to continue BUUUUTTTT, the changes need to be largely complete when the authority reverts to the legislature or the legislature will be tempted to undo the changes that their voters might not like.
              Last edited by boatcapt; 06-24-2020, 08:58 PM.

Comment

WCU has been providing Cheyney staff in all those departments that you mentioned for a few years now already. WCU is still WCU. Cheyney is still Cheyney.

Comment

Originally posted by Wcball00 View Post

WCU has been providing Cheyney staff in all those departments that you mentioned for a few years now already. WCU is still WCU. Cheyney is still Cheyney.
                  Makes sense to me. Hope the powers that be can come up with a more focused mission for CHEYNEY since it doesn't look like small liberal arts college is the answer. Even on the list of HBCU it holds a rather minor place versus the likes of HOWARD, HAMPTON, MOREHOUSE and TUSKEGEE.

Comment

My thoughts:

I hope that in whatever configuration evolves that the system and the state can adequately support IUP as a national university and research institution. IUP needs to fulfill that promise and they need the state to get them there.

Everybody is looking at consolidation in a 2 school framework but who is to say there couldn't be groupings e.g. ESU, Bloom, and Kutztown merge or Cal/SRU/Clarion and Edinboro as one?

If you take out IUP and WCU it leaves 12 which could be 4 groupings of 3 schools each or 3 groupings of 4 schools.

For these consolidated entities, I don't think athletics is going to be a priority.

Comment

Perhaps. Of course it could be like a willow as opposed to a glacier. They have been bending in the wind for a long time now. Evantualy even willows break in the wind.

If I were a betting man, I'd say that there will be some quick action (Attaching Cheyney to WCU and closing Mansfield) and things that will take a few years to take place (be they the changes I predict or the ones you project).

But as this is an athletic board. Who do you project maintains athletics and football specifically? PASSHE schools that evade the knife but are still in financial straights could save a pretty penny by cutting athletics out of their annual budget.
                      Here's how it was explained to me...Student-athletes take up seats in a classroom too, and for now the trend is expanding sports to attract more student-athletes...Women's wrestling, rhythmic gymnastics, e-sports are just a few examples of new programs in many schools...

Comment

Can you imagine getting merged with Mansfield after they needed $6 million to get through this semester? They would be a financial drag on any school they attached. I imagine weaker schools being merged with a stronger school, causing both to sink with the added dead weight.

Comment

Makes sense to me. Hope the powers that be can come up with a more focused mission for CHEYNEY since it doesn't look like small liberal arts college is the answer. Even on the list of HBCU it holds a rather minor place versus the likes of HOWARD, HAMPTON, MOREHOUSE and TUSKEGEE.

Comment

Originally posted by Bart View Post
                            Can you imagine getting merged with Mansfield after they needed $6 million to get through this semester? They would be a financial drag on any school they attached. I imagine weaker schools being merged with a stronger school, causing both to sink with the added dead weight.
                            Before Cheyney stepped out of the PSAC, I said that when they did it would shine a light on some schools that were sort of hidden by the Cheyney's failures. Mansfield was one of those schools. The question I have is can you make Mansfield profitable (or at least have balanced books) by only stripping away all the administrative and perhaps athletic costs? If $6M/semester is the amount they are upside down, going to be difficult for them to go forward without major subsidies from which ever school(s) they are appended to. That's the reason I think it is more likely that they are attached to a more successful college like Bloom as opposed to another struggling college like Lock Haven.

But at the end of the day, the legislature didn't do the PASSHE board any favors by giving them this 3 year window to "right the ship" while at the same forbidding them from making the changes that need to be made. Requiring the PASSHE to keep all the existing colleges open makes it very difficult for them to reach a solution that keeps the ship as a whole from sinking. On top of that you take the only two schools that are succeding and exempt them entirily from the process. Makes it an almost impossible task and certainly one that can't be completed in 3 short years.

Comment

Originally posted by WarriorVoice View Post

Here's how it was explained to me...Student-athletes take up seats in a classroom too, and for now the trend is expanding sports to attract more student-athletes...Women's wrestling, rhythmic gymnastics, e-sports are just a few examples of new programs in many schools...
                              So some PSAC schools are driving enrollment through athletics. Interesting.

Comment

So some PSAC schools are driving enrollment through athletics. Interesting.
                                LOL ... knew that was coming. haha.

If you have a pulse and can pay the bill ... you're in.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X