Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Right. That's why I said President's, etc. It would trickle down. Eliminate many positions. Add it all up and it becomes a savings.

They can trim a lot of fat. A lot.
    Not really. They're incredibly efficient. In most cases, staffing models are lean. It's the system compensation that drives expense.

You still need people in charge. Nobody is driving 72 miles each way multiple days a week to "supervise" a division of the new Lock Mansfield.

I have a former coworker who works at Georgia Southern which recently merged with Armstrong State outside of Savannah. He said it's not going well because the schools have different personalities and require different approaches. Ask Bucks County if their one school district means lower taxes than the 150 districts in Allegheny County.

Comment

Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post
      Does it say that multiple mergers are allowed or not ? A true consolidation would merge several campuses based on recent enrollment and IMO if this is meant as a true restructuring renaming the consolidated units to do away with past associations. 99.9% odds against either of these ideas but that's what wild speculation is for. Sooo....BORO, CLARION,SRU with 18155 ('19) enrollment becomes PA WESTERN UNIVERSITY. BLOOM, LHU, MANS with 13534 enrollment becomes PA NORTHERN UNIVERSITY. ESU, KUTZ with 12413 becomes PA EASTERN UNIVERSITY. MILL, SHIP with 13913 enrollment becomes PA SOUTHERN UNIVERSITY. WCU with 17691, IUP with 11581 and CAL with 6842 remain as is. CHEYNEY becomes a special focus campus renamed to connect with it's HBCU history. In the end 14 separate universities reduced to 8. Totally insane but if you're taking the time to do this why nibble around the edges.
      If schools lose their names, I think they'll lose alumni support. If Bloom turns into Northern University, I have no interest in it and I am out. When the Baltimore Colts left Baltimore, I left them. When schools change the names of buildings based on a donation, I lose confidence in them. When Cat Stevens changed his name to Yusuf Islam, I still liked his music, but where did Cat Stevens go. What's in a name? As Jim Croce sang "Like the pine trees linin' the windin' road I've got a name, I've got a name Like the singin' bird and the croakin' toad I've got a name, I've got a name And I carry it with me like my daddy did".

Comment

Originally posted by Bart View Post

If schools lose their names, I think they'll lose alumni support. If Bloom turns into Northern University, I have no interest in it and I am out. When the Baltimore Colts left Baltimore, I left them. When schools change the names of buildings based on a donation, I lose confidence in them. When Cat Stevens changed his name to Yusuf Islam, I still liked his music, but where did Cat Stevens go. What's in a name? As Jim Croce sang "Like the pine trees linin' the windin' road I've got a name, I've got a name Like the singin' bird and the croakin' toad I've got a name, I've got a name And I carry it with me like my daddy did".
        Appreciate the poetry of Croce's work, but this discussion has to do with restructuring a PASSHE system that we both came through and enjoyed, but which is now bleeding cash and will be gone in any form soon if something isn't done. I suggested the consolidations I did because I feel they give a bolder direction for the system as a whole as opposed to fiddling with program A, degree B and campus C and watching it all fade away. As I also said there is zero chance my proposal, insane speculation, will ever become reality.
        I would be interested in hearing your suggestions though as long as the don't start with throwing buckets of cash at the problem.

Comment

Appreciate the poetry of Croce's work, but this discussion has to do with restructuring a PASSHE system that we both came through and enjoyed, but which is now bleeding cash and will be gone in any form soon if something isn't done. I suggested the consolidations I did because I feel they give a bolder direction for the system as a whole as opposed to fiddling with program A, degree B and campus C and watching it all fade away. As I also said there is zero chance my proposal, insane speculation, will ever become reality.
          I would be interested in hearing your suggestions though as long as the don't start with throwing buckets of cash at the problem.
          It will be interesting to watch. A corporation would have closed 4-5 of these schools 10 years ago. Cut your losses. Layers of political (idiot) decisons have led us to current atrocity. This could finally be a good step.

Comment

If there has to be consolidation and since no school is closing, let each school keep it's name. Or let market forces determine the winners and losers. There is a reason the Saturn car isn't made anymore.

Comment

If there has to be consolidation and since no school is closing, let each school keep it's name. Or let market forces determine the winners and losers. There is a reason the Saturn car isn't made anymore.
              Not really up for a long slow death match. Hope the Chancellor and Board of Governors can come up with something more creative than a LAST MAN STANDING match.

Comment

Not really up for a long slow death match. Hope the Chancellor and Board of Governors can come up with something more creative than a LAST MAN STANDING match.
                I think we are already in round 15 and it won't be long before it is over. I recall in the eighties, the system was pushing to rename all the schools. It was going to be something like Pennsylvania University System at Bloomsburg, Pennsylvania University System at California, and so on. Bloom's president McCormick was in favor of the name change. He had a building on campus with his name on it, and I wondered if they should change the name of it too. It was the only time I ever wrote a letter to the newspaper editor for print. For whom the bell tolls.

Comment

Slippery Rock The Rock Golden Eagles at Clarion Branch.

Sounds great

Comment

Slippery Rock The Rock Golden Eagles at Clarion Branch.

Sounds great
                    Just because people get married, doesn't mean they have to change their names. It could be Slippery Rock and Clarion. No one has to know what goes on behind the scenes.

Comment

Just because people get married, doesn't mean they have to change their names. It could be Slippery Rock and Clarion. No one has to know what goes on behind the scenes.
                      I still love Slippery Rock The Rock. Fantastic nickname.

Comment

I still love Slippery Rock The Rock. Fantastic nickname.
                        Always thought I was being sold insurance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LaaisYNYxvs

Comment

Always thought I was being sold insurance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LaaisYNYxvs
                          Lol .. that's a good one.

Comment

It will be interesting to watch. A corporation would have closed 4-5 of these schools 10 years ago. Cut your losses. Layers of political (idiot) decisons have led us to current atrocity. This could finally be a good step.
                            10 years ago, 12 of the 14 schools had record enrollment.

Comment

A few additional curve balls thrown out there.

WCU used political connections to protect itself from being dragged down by supporting another school, " his biggest fear was any reorganization legislation that would lessen the academic and financial strength of West Chester University by forcing its affiliation with other institutions."

Schools can declined to merge: "the two largest schools in the system, were waived from having to accept shared services or forced affiliation. Other PASSHE schools would also have the ability to decline such measure by a two-thirds vote of their councils of trustees and further negotiations."

https://www.dailyamerican.com/news/s...e5bc7c3c8.html

Comment

A few additional curve balls thrown out there.

WCU used political connections to protect itself from being dragged down by supporting another school, " his biggest fear was any reorganization legislation that would lessen the academic and financial strength of West Chester University by forcing its affiliation with other institutions."

Schools can declined to merge: "the two largest schools in the system, were waived from having to accept shared services or forced affiliation. Other PASSHE schools would also have the ability to decline such measure by a two-thirds vote of their councils of trustees and further negotiations."

https://www.dailyamerican.com/news/s...e5bc7c3c8.html

Good for West Chester. They held firm and didn't want to clean up the mess made by others. Sounds like they smartly wanted nothing to do with Cheyney.

IUP already has a branch campus (Punxsy). LOL. Anybody remember IUP-Kittanning?

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X