Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Good for West Chester. They held firm and didn't want to clean up the mess made by others. Sounds like they smartly wanted nothing to do with Cheyney.

IUP already has a branch campus (Punxsy). LOL. Anybody remember IUP-Kittanning?
    Does the wording " from having to accept..... forced affiliation" mean that should the deal be sweet enough IUP/WCU could choose to accept a merger/affiliation ?

Comment

Originally posted by Bart View Post

If schools lose their names, I think they'll lose alumni support. If Bloom turns into Northern University, I have no interest in it and I am out. When the Baltimore Colts left Baltimore, I left them. When schools change the names of buildings based on a donation, I lose confidence in them. When Cat Stevens changed his name to Yusuf Islam, I still liked his music, but where did Cat Stevens go. What's in a name? As Jim Croce sang "Like the pine trees linin' the windin' road I've got a name, I've got a name Like the singin' bird and the croakin' toad I've got a name, I've got a name And I carry it with me like my daddy did".
      That's actually opposite of what you said. While the Colts left Baltimore, they didn't change their name. And it seems like the Baltimore Ravens have quite the following among former Colt fans.

Comment

Thanks for sharing those additional pieces. If West Chester is indeed fully immune from any possible consolidation/merger, then Cheyney is toast. The only possible merger for them is Lincoln - but then you're merging state owned with state affiliated. A marriage of the oldest with the first in such close proximity is a good match. Or my idea of turning Cheyney into a residential two-year school to improve college readiness, which is different than the mission of all the community colleges in its vicinity.

I disagree with the immunity. Would the state give a state park office immunity from merging with a nearby park? No.

I still think the only thing that's going to save PASSHE is some form of handshake agreement that ties increased funding to tuition management. As fewer students attend college for the party, our reputations should improve a bit. But the cost to attend has to be too hard to pass up over the Pitt/PSU branches and the privates. That doesn't really happen without a significant increase on the state side.

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
          That's actually opposite of what you said. While the Colts left Baltimore, they didn't change their name. And it seems like the Baltimore Ravens have quite the following among former Colt fans.
          The Baltimore Colts left Baltimore in 1984 and became the Indianapolis Colts. Baltimore didn't have a team until 1996. I liked Baltimore, and could care less about the mascot name colts. I don't want Bloomsburg University to become Northern University, whether they are huskies or not. That's it.

Comment

The Baltimore Colts left Baltimore in 1984 and became the Indianapolis Colts. Baltimore didn't have a team until 1996. I liked Baltimore, and could care less about the mascot name colts. I don't want Bloomsburg University to become Northern University, whether they are huskies or not. That's it.
            Just a guess but if they're trying to draw up a plan to save the system, alumni loyalty based on the sports following is likely way down the list of considerations. Speaking ONLY for me, if the entire system was rebranded and the CAL U VULCANS became the SOUTHWEST PA UNIVERSITY VULCANS, I'd be right there cheering them on. Especially if that rebranding meant more potential students were interested in attending a school without the funky name.

Comment

Then when push comes to shove you should speak up about it. Write another Letter to the Editor. Go to the meetings and tell them.

Alumni donations could take a dip, you're right. Then again whatever the new entity comes to be they will be soliciting $$ from you.

I would think the town names would be retained no matter what, at least as part of it.

Identity is lost or compromised all the time. IUP lost part of its unique identity when PASSHE was formed and all the other schools became XXX of Pennsylvania. There was a reason IUP was named that way but there really wasn't for the others. The effect was that it equalized the other schools to IUP. As I've said many times PASSHE was the first IUP Rule.

This has always made me think of my older sister who graduated from the Philipsburg State School of Nursing in 1967. None of those state nursing schools exist anymore. They outlived their purpose and were shut down. Think about that. There are precedents (even though they say they won't close any PASSHE schools).

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
                I disagree with the immunity.
                That's because you're not a constituent of the immune.

Comment

I think we are already in round 15 and it won't be long before it is over. I recall in the eighties, the system was pushing to rename all the schools. It was going to be something like Pennsylvania University System at Bloomsburg, Pennsylvania University System at California, and so on. Bloom's president McCormick was in favor of the name change. He had a building on campus with his name on it, and I wondered if they should change the name of it too. It was the only time I ever wrote a letter to the newspaper editor for print. For whom the bell tolls.
                  The system name should be Interconnected Colleges and Universities of Pennsylvania, or "ICUP."

Comment

Duplication...

Comment

Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

Then when push comes to shove you should speak up about it. Write another Letter to the Editor. Go to the meetings and tell them.

Alumni donations could take a dip, you're right. Then again whatever the new entity comes to be they will be soliciting $$ from you.

I would think the town names would be retained no matter what, at least as part of it.

Identity is lost or compromised all the time. IUP lost part of its unique identity when PASSHE was formed and all the other schools became XXX of Pennsylvania. There was a reason IUP was named that way but there really wasn't for the others. The effect was that it equalized the other schools to IUP. As I've said many times PASSHE was the first IUP Rule.

This has always made me think of my older sister who graduated from the Philipsburg State School of Nursing in 1967. None of those state nursing schools exist anymore. They outlived their purpose and were shut down. Think about that. There are precedents (even though they say they won't close any PASSHE schools).
                      Worth noting that Bloomsburg's current name, Bloomsburg University of Pennsylvania, has only been on the marque since 1983. Prior to that they were Bloomsburg State College and before that they were Bloomsburg State Teachers College. If the curx of the issue is maintaining the name of the town in their new moniquer, the easy fix would be Eastern Pennsylvania University, Bloomsburg or somthing like that.

Te real question to ask alums is are you so wedded to the current name that you would prefer us going out of business vice changing it? That could be the choice.

Comment

Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post

Just a guess but if they're trying to draw up a plan to save the system, alumni loyalty based on the sports following is likely way down the list of considerations. Speaking ONLY for me, if the entire system was rebranded and the CAL U VULCANS became the SOUTHWEST PA UNIVERSITY VULCANS, I'd be right there cheering them on. Especially if that rebranding meant more potential students were interested in attending a school without the funky name.
                        I know someone whose no-name alma mater closed in New Jersey. All the transcripts and records ended up at Princeton University. Now he says he went to Princeton. I do believe alumni have connections to the school's name, with or without athletics. I am sure alumni at Harvard, Yale, or Penn State for that matter, would be upset if the name of their school changed. Small school alumni are no different.

Comment

I am sure alumni at Harvard, Yale, or Penn State for that matter, would be upset if the name of their school changed. Small school alumni are no different.
                          Really..?.,!...?.. OKAAAAY.

Comment

Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post
                            Really..?.,!...?.. OKAAAAY.
                            You do have a Cal icon, right? Mansfied students still wear their gear.

Comment

You do have a Cal icon, right? Mansfied students still wear their gear.
                              Why would anything about my icon change? If SOUTHWEST PA ST UNIV still played sports there would be no reason to change the VULCAN mascot or any of the associated iconography. To be clear while I and most of my fellow alums are proud of our university and really happy with the VULCAN symbol, it's a constant source of discomfort to have to explain "No, not that CALIFORNIA, the CALIFORNIA in Pennsylvania !!" Over 50 years ago I wondered about the possibility of having an alma mater I didn't need to explain.
                              As for this MB, all is good. I still support my VULCANS win or lose and I will always be CALUPA69 so everyone out there can distinguish me from your run of the mill alte cocker.
                              Last edited by CALUPA69; 06-26-2020, 07:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by WarriorVoice View Post

That's drastic change, and I don't see PA doing anything that monumental, at least not in my lifetime...I think they'll more than likely look at moving Cheyney under West Chester's umbrella. Perhaps a merger between Mansfield and Lock Haven. Glaciers have melted faster than the PA legislature doing anything these days...
                                Or ever.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X