Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Good for West Chester. They held firm and didn't want to clean up the mess made by others. Sounds like they smartly wanted nothing to do with Cheyney.

IUP already has a branch campus (Punxsy). LOL. Anybody remember IUP-Kittanning?

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Good for West Chester. They held firm and didn't want to clean up the mess made by others. Sounds like they smartly wanted nothing to do with Cheyney.
      As Wcball00 said, WCU has, maybe had, been providing backend services to Cheyney for a while. So WCU probably has more insight of what their situation really is there. It's understandable that WCU would want to protect themselves from PASSHE forcing Cheyney's issues on them.

Comment

I think The state related schools should be brought into this if the legislation permits it. How about Pitt -Clarion (like Pitt - Johnstown), or Temple - Kutztown or PSU - Slippery Rock, etc? So much money goes to these state related universities that they can take on another campus and do the taxpayers a favor. There could still be DII athletics.

Comment

Late to this conversation, but only a government that can continue to hose taxpayers will keep some of these schools open.
          In private industry" if you ain't cutt'n it, you ain't eat'n". In the world of profit & loss, a dollar bill has no conscious.
          Unfortunate as it is some of these should be converted to Community Colleges. If they can support sports so be it, if not, oh well. Life is hard adapt or perish.

Comment

Originally posted by BADinPA View Post
            I think The state related schools should be brought into this if the legislation permits it. How about Pitt -Clarion (like Pitt - Johnstown), or Temple - Kutztown or PSU - Slippery Rock, etc? So much money goes to these state related universities that they can take on another campus and do the taxpayers a favor. There could still be DII athletics.
            Or maybe the PA state system should operate more like the SUNY system...New York seems to run theirs much better and has 4 times the students across their system.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

Or maybe the PA state system should operate more like the SUNY system...New York seems to run theirs much better and has 4 times the students across their system.
              Because it's a comprehensive system. All state funded in the same system regardless of 2 or 4 years. New York also doesn't have a flagship or any of our state related BS. They also didn't fund a second system to compete against their own investment.

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

Because it's a comprehensive system. All state funded in the same system regardless of 2 or 4 years. New York also doesn't have a flagship or any of our state related BS. They also didn't fund a second system to compete against their own investment.
                Imagine all of that in PA. PASSHE looks rinky dink in comparison.

Comment

The reason for my suggestion is that the state related schools like Temple, Penn State and Pitt are always getting the lion's share of PA funding. Another way of looking at it is that the PASSHE has been hosed. It is time for them to step up for the taxpayers of the Commonwealth. Why isn't it reasonable for them to do this?

Comment

Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

Imagine all of that in PA. PASSHE looks rinky dink in comparison.
                    I think it shows how disconnected PA is from its system. SUNY has commuter 2 years, residential 2 years, tech and vocational schools, colleges and "universities", and true research universities. Hell in the Buffalo-Rochester metro they have almost one of each category. They didn't allow Cornell or Syracuse to go out and create a second system duplicating efforts.
                    Last edited by Fightingscot82; 06-29-2020, 07:19 AM.

Comment

I think it shows how disconnected PA is from its system. SUNY has commuter 2 years, residential 2 years, tech and vocational schools, colleges and "universities", and true research universities. Hell in the Buffalo-Rochester metro they have almost one of each category.
                      I don't know much about the SUNY system, but from what I was told they have their **** together. I could be wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by ESU Warrior View Post

I don't know much about the SUNY system, but from what I was told they have their **** together. I could be wrong.
                        I always heard good things about the SUNY system. Education in New York has always been better than PA. They do pay the highest in taxes but they get a lot back for them in New York. Even their roads are better. Going up 81 you can see a huge difference once your cross over into New York.

Comment

Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post

It's curious to see it now but just prior to my arrival at CALIFORNIA STATE COLLEGE, it had changed from CAL ST TEACHERS COLLEGE with a specific purpose as with all 14 PASSHE schools of training staff for the Commonwealth's K-12 schools. At that time there where still remnants of the particular part of the K-12 curriculum that had been assigned which in the case of CSTC was INDUSTRIAL ARTS or SHOP as it was more commonly called. To my recollection IUP'S speciality was HOME ECONOMICS and SRU'S was PHYSICAL EDUCATION. That radical change away from the very clear mission to the very ephemeral one of LIBERAL ARTS is basically how we got to the point of needing another radical change. I don't know who would get which specialties but the era of the STATE RUN LA college, especially in PA which is covered with private LA schools, has come and the definition of a 21st-22nd century education needs to be laid out. Two things wrong with the stated process is it doesn't begin with that definition and it doesn't allow for the merciful end to institutions that should have come years, if not decades, ago.
                          Geez you're old. JK :) But yes, the same for WCU - changed from the West Chester State Teachers College to West Chester State College in 1960. Millersville was the first normal school in PA, founded in 1855. And wasn't SRU once SRGTU?

Comment

Thanks for sharing those additional pieces. If West Chester is indeed fully immune from any possible consolidation/merger, then Cheyney is toast. The only possible merger for them is Lincoln - but then you're merging state owned with state affiliated. A marriage of the oldest with the first in such close proximity is a good match. Or my idea of turning Cheyney into a residential two-year school to improve college readiness, which is different than the mission of all the community colleges in its vicinity.

I disagree with the immunity. Would the state give a state park office immunity from merging with a nearby park? No.

I still think the only thing that's going to save PASSHE is some form of handshake agreement that ties increased funding to tuition management. As fewer students attend college for the party, our reputations should improve a bit. But the cost to attend has to be too hard to pass up over the Pitt/PSU branches and the privates. That doesn't really happen without a significant increase on the state side.
                            Sorry, circling back here as I'm getting caught up on ya'll dialogue. I don't know the PC way to make this statement, but even if WC wasn't fully immune from a merger/consolidation, Cheyney would be toast. I'd be willing to take an educated guess that no more than 10% of Cheyney students would meet WC min application requirements.

Comment

Originally posted by Wcball00 View Post

Geez you're old. JK :) But yes, the same for WCU - changed from the West Chester State Teachers College to West Chester State College in 1960. Millersville was the first normal school in PA, founded in 1855. And wasn't SRU once SRGTU?
                              Thats too funny! I always wondered why some posters referred to SRU as Gym Teacher U!!! Now its clear. Guess SRU could fire back calling IUP Betty Crocker U or maybe call Cal U Wood Shop U!!

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

Thats too funny! I always wondered why some posters referred to SRU as Gym Teacher U!!! Now its clear. Guess SRU could fire back calling IUP Betty Crocker U or maybe call Cal U Wood Shop U!!
                                Miss Ballbricker is an icon at Slimey Pebble.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X