Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wcball00 View Post

Geez you're old. JK :) But yes, the same for WCU - changed from the West Chester State Teachers College to West Chester State College in 1960. Millersville was the first normal school in PA, founded in 1855. And wasn't SRU once SRGTU?
    Cheyney was founded as a residential high school for black youth. They were the last state normal school in 1914 when the state bought it.

Everyone else was founded independently to train teachers then eventually went from state related to state owned in 1914. IUP was the first PA state teachers college to progress to state college, but everyone else followed suit not long after. But IUP had so much size and momentum that they only spent 5 years as a state college before becoming a state university. For one year, IUP was the state's only university west of State College. There were some in Harrisburg that wanted IUP to be the state university in the West and Temple in the East. But then the University of Pittsburgh rapidly approached bankruptcy, the state bailed them out, and they took IUP's place. So I guess you should say the IUP Rule began in 1966.

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

Cheyney was founded as a residential high school for black youth. They were the last state normal school in 1914 when the state bought it.

Everyone else was founded independently to train teachers then eventually went from state related to state owned in 1914. IUP was the first PA state teachers college to progress to state college, but everyone else followed suit not long after. But IUP had so much size and momentum that they only spent 5 years as a state college before becoming a state university. For one year, IUP was the state's only university west of State College. There were some in Harrisburg that wanted IUP to be the state university in the West and Temple in the East. But then the University of Pittsburgh rapidly approached bankruptcy, the state bailed them out, and they took IUP's place. So I guess you should say the IUP Rule began in 1966.
      You're comin' around. You might just earn yourself an honorary IUP degree.

Comment

For the record:

Cheyney founded in 1837
        Bloom founded in 1839
        ESU the most recent in 1893

Comment

Oakland High School was once called Western University of PA or WUP.

Yep...IUP was screwed. It seems like a long standing pattern. The Western Pennsylvania State University at Indiana never had a chance.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

I always heard good things about the SUNY system. Education in New York has always been better than PA. They do pay the highest in taxes but they get a lot back for them in New York. Even their roads are better. Going up 81 you can see a huge difference once your cross over into New York.
            I have been to many parts of North America and the roads in PA are the worst I have ever seen!

Comment

I'm curious - what is the difference between state related and state owned? In MN, all public schools are run by the state - well, that's not entirely true. The U of M is sometimes under the jurisdiction of the state and sometimes they aren't from my understanding, but I believe they are still classified as state owned.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

Yep...IUP was screwed. It seems like a long standing pattern. The Western Pennsylvania State University at Indiana never had a chance.
                The history of Pitt (Western University of PA) is a very interesting read. Been around since 1787 (WOW!) and has had industrial titans Andrew Carnigie, Westinghouse and Mellon as part of it's board.

Comment

New York DOES have a "second public system." It is called CUNY. CUNY is the forth largest university system in the US. It consists of 12 seperate colleges plus community colleges and graduate schools.

While by no means in as much financial trouble as PASSHE, it does appear that SUNY and CUNY are in line for some pretty major state budget cuts.

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
                    New York DOES have a "second public system." It is called CUNY. CUNY is the forth largest university system in the US. It consists of 12 seperate colleges plus community colleges and graduate schools.

While by no means in as much financial trouble as PASSHE, it does appear that SUNY and CUNY are in line for some pretty major state budget cuts.
                    Mega systems.....and well priced.
                    https://www.ny.gov/programs/tuition-...or-scholarship

Comment

• Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post
                      Saw a govt report last year about Pell Grants. Thing that struck me was a chart that showed the % of college students that would have been eligible to receive a Grant but for what ever reason, chose NOT to even complete the Federal Student Aid Package...35%!! This included almost 2 MILLION college students that would have been eligible for the maximum grant or close to $6,000 per school year.

Worth noting with the NY state provided grants, they are on top of federal $'s that a student may be eligible to receive. Between Pell Grants and the NY grant, students should be able to go to college for free. Of course, that is assuming the students chose to fill out the paperwork! Also worth noting that students who accept one of these NY grants are required to work in NY state for the same amount of time that the grant covers. Unclear if this is a month for month or year for year commitment (i.e. You got one year of (2 semesters) so you owe NY 1 year of work).
                      Last edited by boatcapt; 07-02-2020, 05:31 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by ESU Warrior View Post

I have been to many parts of North America and the roads in PA are the worst I have ever seen!
                        Driven in all 50 states and traveled roads in 51 countries. Last time I was on I-10 in New Mexico was the worse I ever seen
                        as a paved road. Granted, it was a while back but the impression was so strong. I sure its been repaved.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

Come on man, I'm sure someone bought somebody from IUP at least ONE dinner...:) You guys have to figure out how to stop getting screwed!!
                          Last edited by WarriorVoice; 07-02-2020, 04:17 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

You're right. I guess I didn't include them because they're not distributed throughout the state like PASSHE & Penn State. CUNY is centered around Manhattan (logically) but doesn't extend much into Long Island as there are some well established SUNY schools there, most notably Stony Brook.

Comment

• Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post

I'm curious - what is the difference between state related and state owned? In MN, all public schools are run by the state - well, that's not entirely true. The U of M is sometimes under the jurisdiction of the state and sometimes they aren't from my understanding, but I believe they are still classified as state owned.
                              The state owns the 14 universities you know from the PSAC like Slippery Rock, IUP, West Chester, etc. The state gives annual appropriations to Penn State, Pitt, Temple, and Lincoln. They're not state owned or controlled or even subject to open records law. But the state gives them money in exchange for seats on their board and lower tuition for PA students.

The state has funded Penn State from day one. In 1965 they bailed out failing Temple, Pitt in 1966, and Lincoln in 1971. Those three bailouts saved failing private universities on the brink of bankruptcy and in exchange for significant annual payments from the states the schools agree to charge a lower rate for PA residents. I guess this was a common thing in the 1960s and it did open up access to a major research university education for some. The longterm challenge is that now Pitt has flourished (top 20 public, $4 billion endowment) and both Pitt and Penn State have nearly 25 4 year branch campuses that compete with the state owned universities.

Comment

• Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

I think CUNY was free at one time.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X