Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Consolidation Conference

When I posted a new football conference April 29th, it was met with quite a bit of skepticism, that certainly could be understood. However, given the Consolidation talk, and it appears that while schools may not close, is merging a possibility? And, if it is, and as some have suggested with designated directional institutions together, who will survive and continue with their football programs. Or, will these possible mergers absorb other programs? What seemed outrageous to some a couple of months ago, may be gaining traction. Personally, I'd like to see a return to a PASSHE school league with Shepherd if all programs are kept. Maybe a 12 team league playing 11 games, or even two 6 team divisions playing each other twice for cost containment and better gates. Just stretching the possibility thinking..............

I think you need to start by determining the probability that the individual PASSHE schools maintaining football:

100% certainty - WCU and IUP
    Highly Probable - SRU, Bloom, Cal, Kutz
    Probable But Signifigant Chance Not - Ship, Millersville, ESU
    More Probable not to have Football - Locke Haven, Clarion, Edinboro
    Out of the Football Mix Already - Cheyney, Mansfield

I think the line will be drawn at Probable which would give the PSAC nine PASSHE members. At that point, the logical move for the PSAC is to try and build a 12 team football conference meaning one of the three private schools or the out of state schools will be kicked out. The PSAC line-up would be:

WCU
    IUP
    Cal
    SRU
    Bloom
    Kutz
    ESU

And three of the following:

Gannon
    Hurst
    SHU
    Shepherd

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
      I think you need to start by determining the probability that the individual PASSHE schools maintaining football:

I think the line will be drawn at Probable which would give the PSAC nine PASSHE members. At that point, the logical move for the PSAC is to try and build a 12 team football conference meaning one of the three private schools or the out of state schools will be kicked out. The PSAC line-up would be:

WCU
      IUP
      Cal
      SRU
      Bloom
      Kutz
      ESU

Gannon
      Hurst
      SHU
      Shepherd
      Nice analysis but I think the consideration of athletic configurations probably falls below the midway point on the PASSHE to do list. However, from that list minus one from the non-PASSHE seems to be a 10 team league. What am I not seeing ??

Comment

Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post
        Nice analysis but I think the consideration of athletic configurations probably falls below the midway point on the PASSHE to do list. However, from that list minus one from the non-PASSHE seems to be a 10 team league. What am I not seeing ??
        Non-football - UPJ

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Non-football - UPJ
          I always seem to forget about them. Even back in the WVIAC days!!

Comment

Non-football - UPJ
            Once again "try and build a 12 team football conference"....?..!?..Huh ?

Comment

I don't know. Weather a school survives is largely a $ issue and a million $'s (or more) on a schools bottom line could be tempting. Mansfield made that decision about football a number of years ago and that may have been enough for them to limp forward to today. Cheyney made a similar decision although they x'ed all rheir NCAA programs to save $'s. It at least got them to the table for this reorg that includes a gurantee that they will not be closed outright.

When a system is shaking the cushons for loose change, that dollar athletic departments have in their hand looks very enticing.

Comment

WCU
                IUP
                Cal
                SRU
                Bloom
                Kutz
                ESU

Gannon
                Hurst
                SHU
                Shepherd
                Or... stick with 13 and try to entice NDC. ;)

Comment

Originally posted by EastStroud13 View Post

Yep. Or Frostburg. They'll poach somebody.

Comment

Originally posted by EastStroud13 View Post

Those 400+ mile bus rides across the entire state of PA in January play a Wednesday night road basketball game would be really fun!

You could always steal Lincoln PA from the CIAA. They are close to a LOT of PSAC teams and they are in PA to boot! If the PSAC really wants to be the only DII game in PA, I'd think they would take them with open arms, right?? ;) :0

Comment

Yep. Or Frostburg. They'll poach somebody.
                      That's the PSAC's go to move, isn't it! When a PSAC school can't cut it and has to drop out of the conference, just take a non PA school! Mansfield can't cut it and has to drop football...take a NE10 school...Use them for a few years then when the WVIAC closes down, take Seton Hill and kick Post to the curb. Cheyney can't cut the mustard and drops athletics...take a MEC school...Other PSAC schools on the verge of colapse...Try and take another out of state DII school.

Given the PSAC's history of kicking out of state members to the curb when they are no longer needed, Shepherd has to be pretty worried right about now!

Comment

That's the PSAC's go to move, isn't it! When a PSAC school can't cut it and has to drop out of the conference, just take a non PA school! Mansfield can't cut it and has to drop football...take a NE10 school...Use them for a few years then when the WVIAC closes down, take Seton Hill and kick Post to the curb. Cheyney can't cut the mustard and drops athletics...take a MEC school...Other PSAC schools on the verge of colapse...Try and take another out of state DII school.

Given the PSAC's history of kicking out of state members to the curb when they are no longer needed, Shepherd has to be pretty worried right about now!
                        If you didn't notice POST used the PSAC for football and field hockey competition for 4 years otherwise they were all NE10. And as things turned out they had other plans altogether and were in no way kicked to the curb. Conference fans had been begging CHEYNEY to drop the sport for years and they finally did out of necessity. Since at the time it happened the PSAC included every D2 school in Pa, the only option to replace the WOLVES was to check out of state. SHEPHERD seemed happy to make the jump, especially since they had nothing left to prove in the MEC. I could be wrong but the RAMS seemed pretty happy with season 1, but who can say.

Comment

If you didn't notice POST used the PSAC for football and field hockey competition for 4 years otherwise they were all NE10. And as things turned out they had other plans altogether and were in no way kicked to the curb. Conference fans had been begging CHEYNEY to drop the sport for years and they finally did out of necessity. Since at the time it happened the PSAC included every D2 school in Pa, the only option to replace the WOLVES was to check out of state. SHEPHERD seemed happy to make the jump, especially since they had nothing left to prove in the MEC. I could be wrong but the RAMS seemed pretty happy with season 1, but who can say.
                          You can rationalize all you want but the bottom line is when PASSHE schools cut their athletics, PSAC goes looking in other conferences. When those schools are not needed anymore, they are quickly shown the door. That's the conferences go to move.

Comment

So.....none.

Comment

Originally posted by Horror Child View Post

So.....none.
                              Post.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X