Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who’s the best you’ve seen (in the PSAC)?n

I’m bored. Aren’t we all? Football season can’t start soon enough.

So, tell me who are the best players you’ve seen in the PSAC, on teams other than yours?

I’ll start.

QB - Trevor Harris, Edinboro.

RB - Antoine Bagwell, California.

WR - Garry Brown, California.

OL - Jhari Evans, Bloomsburg

DL - Xavier Brown, CW Post

LB - Tyler Morrissey, West Chester

DB - Rontez Miles, California
    Last edited by Matt Burglund; 06-29-2020, 06:09 AM.
    http://www.indianagazette.com
    www.twitter.com/MattBurglund

Originally posted by Matt Burglund View Post
    I’m bored. Aren’t we all? Football season can’t start soon enough.

So, tell me who are the best players you’ve seen in the PSAC, on teams other than yours.

I’ll start.

QB - Trevor Harris, Edinboro.

RB - Antoine Bagwell, California.

WR - Garry Brown (California).

OL - Jhari Evans, Bloomsburg

DL - Xavier Brown, CW Post

LB - Tyler Morrissey, West Chester

DB - Rontez Miles, California

Wesley Cates (Cal, RB) ... played on some horrendously poor Vulcan teams and teams knew he was their only weapon. Yet, still had a monster career.

Comment

I agree on those. Not to take anything away from Miles but what about Brent Grimes? Maybe Marcus Martin too? Some of those skill positions are hard.

Comment

He wasn’t the most physically talented QB, but there still hasn’t been a player who’s scared me more as an IUP fan than Randy McKavish. He just made plays.

Comment

LB - John Mobley - Kutztown
          LB - Lee Woodall - West Chester
          WR - Mike Washington - West Chester
          RB - Jamar Brittingham - Bloomsburg

Just off the top of my head...You see MANY great players in 30+ years...

Comment

Note: I based my picks on what they did when I saw them play.

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
            Wesley Cates (Cal, RB) ... played on some horrendously poor Vulcan teams and teams knew he was their only weapon. Yet, still had a monster career.
            Although he did have 100+ yard games against IUP his junior and senior seasons, when I think of him I think about his sophomore year. He rushed for 1,935 yards, which was the third-highest in PSAC history at the time, but against IUP he had 19 carries for 19 yards. ... Bagwell was just on another level. He was the football equivalent to the basketball player who can score from any spot on the floor.

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
            I agree on those. Not to take anything away from Miles but what about Brent Grimes? Maybe Marcus Martin too? Some of those skill positions are hard.
            Damn, I honestly forgot about Grimes. He was spectacular the times I saw him.

For this discussion, I'm torn on Martin. His numbers speak for themselves. He should be inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame someday. But his freshman season, he had 3.5 sacks against IUP. The next three years, he had zero. Maybe some of that has to do with Ethan Cooper or Jerron Searles blocking him, or maybe it had to do with Lenny Williams being the QB. ... Xavier Brown just couldn't be blocked.

Originally posted by Chuck Norris View Post
            He wasn’t the most physically talented QB, but there still hasn’t been a player who’s scared me more as an IUP fan than Randy McKavish. He just made plays.
            You described McKavish perfectly. When he scrambled, people held their breath.

Originally posted by WarriorVoice View Post
            You see MANY great players in 30+ years...
            I can only imagine. I've "only" got 22 seasons under my belt. When I mention something to Jack B. that happened in 2005, he calls it "recent."

Comment

LB - John Mobley - Kutztown
              LB - Lee Woodall - West Chester
              WR - Mike Washington - West Chester
              RB - Jamar Brittingham - Bloomsburg

Just off the top of my head...You see MANY great players in 30+ years...
              Funny how names slip from memory. Wes Cates (5647 yds) and Jamar Brittingham (5689 yds) are truly memorable, but FRANKLIN QUITEH (7523yds) was unbelievable.

Comment

QB:Trevor Harris (Boro)
                WR: Mike Washington (WCU)
                RB: Antoine Bagwell (Cal)
                RB: Jamar Brittingham (Bloom)
                FB: John Kuhn (Ship)
                OL: Jordan Morgan (Kutztown)
                OL: Jahri Evans (Bloom)
                LB: Lateef Ferguson (WCU)
                CB: Brent Grimes (Ship)
                CB: Akwasi Owusu-Ansah (IUP)
                S: Mike Baldwin (Kutztown)
                S: Rontez Miles (Cal)

Comment

Note: I based my picks on what they did when I saw them play.

Although he did have 100+ yard games against IUP his junior and senior seasons, when I think of him I think about his sophomore year. He rushed for 1,935 yards, which was the third-highest in PSAC history at the time, but against IUP he had 19 carries for 19 yards. ... Bagwell was just on another level. He was the football equivalent to the basketball player who can score from any spot on the floor.

I remember that game at Miller Stadium. It was like 45-0 or something. IUP really hammered Cal that day.

I still remember the McKavish days. Even when it looked like an IUP player had a wide-open shot on him ... he'd somehow avoid the hit. I think he went 3-2 against IUP. He lost the playoff game at home in 1999 and then the night game in Miller the following year.

Comment

Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post
                    Funny how names slip from memory. Wes Cates (5647 yds) and Jamar Brittingham (5689 yds) are truly memorable, but FRANKLIN QUITEH (7523yds) was unbelievable.
                    Quiteh's stats are amazing. Three 2,000-yard seasons. But I only saw him play twice, both against IUP, and had pedestrian numbers: 22 carries for 91 yards in the first meeting and 15 for 43 in the second.

Comment

Agree on Bagwell. I've never seen a RB in the PSAC do so much on his own. Bloom had a great run of great RBs helped by some AMAZING lines. I don't recall if that was the case for Bagwell. My fandom of PSAC football took off in his era.

Comment

No mention of Jimmy Terwilliger???

Comment

Originally posted by IUPalum View Post
                          No mention of Jimmy Terwilliger???
                          The parameters didn't allow me to choose ESU players...Cheyney's OL James "Big Cat" Williams has to be on that list though. John Kuhn and Franklyn Quiteh as well...Speaking of Jimmy, for his 1st 3 seasons, there were only 2 crossovers a season. In 2006, ESU played 4 crossovers...In his 4 years, Jimmy faced Clarion and Edinboro 3 times. He saw Cal, IUP, Lock Haven, and Shippensburg just once each. Jimmy's ESU teams were 8-2 vs. the PSAC West...The Western schools didn't get to see #13's greatness NEARLY as much as the Eastern schools...:)
                          Last edited by WarriorVoice; 06-30-2020, 04:16 AM.

Comment

The parameters didn't allow me to choose ESU players...Cheyney's OL James "Big Cat" Williams has to be on that list though. John Kuhn and Franklyn Quiteh as well...Speaking of Jimmy, for his 1st 3 seasons, there were only 2 crossovers a season. In 2006, ESU played 4 crossovers...In his 4 years, Jimmy faced Clarion and Edinboro 3 times. He saw Cal, IUP, Lock Haven, and Shippensburg just once each. Jimmy's ESU teams were 8-2 vs. the PSAC West...The Western schools didn't get to see #13's greatness NEARLY as much as the Eastern schools...:)
                            I only saw Jimmy T play once and it’s a game he’s probably like a mulligan for. He went 17-26 for 256 yards but his NCAA record of 39 straight games with a TD pass was stopped. IUP won 35-20. Chris Morgan had 286 rushing yards for IUP.

Comment

I only saw Jimmy T play once and it’s a game he’s probably like a mulligan for. He went 17-26 for 256 yards but his NCAA record of 39 straight games with a TD pass was stopped. IUP won 35-20. Chris Morgan had 286 rushing yards for IUP.
                              That’s because Jimmy T finally played a legit team and showed him what real football was! Pretty easy to pad stats against cream puffs!

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X