Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    IUP has announced the finalized enrollment numbers for this year.

Total enrollment for 2020-21 is at 10,067 (5.34% decrease from 2019-20).
    I wonder what % have tested positive for Covid?

I recall IUP having around 14-15,000 in my undergrad and grad days there. That is quite a drop.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post

I wonder what % have tested positive for Covid?

I recall IUP having around 14-15,000 in my undergrad and grad days there. That is quite a drop.

The official high-water mark in school history was the Fall of 2012 (15,379).

But, yes, there were many years in that vicinity.

Crazy to think they've lost 5,000 students between 2012 and 2020. That's a whole lot of coin.

Comment

The official high-water mark in school history was the Fall of 2012 (15,379).

But, yes, there were many years in that vicinity.

Crazy to think they've lost 5,000 students between 2012 and 2020. That's a whole lot of coin.
        Roughly $100MM a year.

Comment

• Well, that was the calmest Homecoming in IUP history.

Comment

Well, that was the calmest Homecoming in IUP history.
            I'm still trying to recover from the 2005 edition and the body count!

I wonder if I may be the only local IUP alum who has never seen a single Homecoming Parade?

Comment

I'm still trying to recover from the 2005 edition and the body count!

I wonder if I may be the only local IUP alum who has never seen a single Homecoming Parade?
              Somebody has to guard the tool shed.

Comment

Somebody has to guard the tool shed.
                The Angry Mob just cannot be trusted.

I should also note that I have not been to the Indiana Fair since 1982.

Comment

• From today's Gazette:

"Effective next fall, there will be one less college at Indiana University of Pennsylvania, as the College of Humanities and Social Sciences and College of Fine Arts will be combined into an as-yet-unnamed college focused on the creative arts, humanities and design."

Full story online.

Comment

From today's Gazette:

"Effective next fall, there will be one less college at Indiana University of Pennsylvania, as the College of Humanities and Social Sciences and College of Fine Arts will be combined into an as-yet-unnamed college focused on the creative arts, humanities and design."

Full story online.
                    There's a good Pittsburgh PG article about IUP's changes. They also picked a good day to announce because it was overshadowed by the PASSHE BOG decisions. It's a logical consolidation, but I did find this statement to be something worth noting:

Comment

• It's clearly a movement towards a more technical focus. That's the direction that's been discussed the past few years. Understand that Driscoll is an Engineer and that's what he's into. The big $90 million science building that just had groundbreaking seals the deal. Otherwise, it makes no sense to put humanities, social science under the same admin as fine arts. That indicates a de-emphasis.

I think Driscoll is partly to blame for the enrollment problems. Aside from the demographics in Western PA, the decline has been on his watch. That's indisputable. But if this is the direction for IUP I think it's good. I hope they can find (re-find) their niche.

P.S. The other benefit of a shift towards science/math is the incoming students tend to have higher test scores.

Last edited by iupgroundhog; 10-15-2020, 12:09 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

It's clearly a movement towards a more technical focus. That's the direction that's been discussed the past few years. Understand that Driscoll is an Engineer and that's what he's into. The big $90 million science building that just had groundbreaking seals the deal. Otherwise, it makes no sense to put humanities, social science under the same admin as fine arts. That indicates a de-emphasis.

I think Driscoll is partly to blame for the enrollment problems. Aside from the demographics in Western PA, the decline has been on his watch. That's indisputable. But if this is the direction for IUP I think it's good. I hope they can find (re-find) their niche.

I'd substitute "applied" for "technical." High school applicants are choosing jobs first then a degree program that leads directly to that job. Schools have also created pre-professional tracks that are designed to lead toward that next step. For example, 25 years ago students studied political science if they intended to be a lawyer. Now a lot of campuses have dedicated pre-law programs. This has also extended to medical careers (pre-vet, pre-dental, pre-PA) in place of biology. It's even in less technical areas such as journalism in place of English, graphic design in place of applied art, and starting decades ago, business in place of economics. This is all at the expense of humanities and liberal arts (and if you notice, the programs being cut at PASSHE schools). The campuses where humanities and liberal arts still rule are predominantly private and/or those with wealthier enrollment. You can't study business, engineering, or pre-anything at Williams College.

Check out the specification of business programs too: sports management, financial planning, recreation & tourism, etc. I just saw that one of the top public business schools, the Farmer School at Miami University in Ohio, just added a full degree program in real estate business. Not a track. Not a minor. A full on degree in real estate. I'd be interested in knowing if any PASSHE school's top major isn't business.

Comment

• Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

It's clearly a movement towards a more technical focus. That's the direction that's been discussed the past few years. Understand that Driscoll is an Engineer and that's what he's into. The big $90 million science building that just had groundbreaking seals the deal. Otherwise, it makes no sense to put humanities, social science under the same admin as fine arts. That indicates a de-emphasis.

P.S. The other benefit of a shift towards science/math is the incoming students tend to have higher test scores.
                          What you say has a certain logic to be sure----but traditionally speaking these high-caliber math/science/engineering types will opt for Penn State or some other big name school. I probably have five or six cousins who are engineers of some sort----and of course they all went to Penn State. Does IUP really make out in trying to attract these types of students?

Certainly one thing that caught my eye in the article was the elimination of 43 programs. Holy Toledo that is quite a few. I know that they did eliminate several in the past decade or so but 43!

Does anyone know which programs are getting the proverbial axe?

Comment

What you say has a certain logic to be sure----but traditionally speaking these high-caliber math/science/engineering types will opt for Penn State or some other big name school. I probably have five or six cousins who are engineers of some sort----and of course they all went to Penn State. Does IUP really make out in trying to attract these types of students?

Certainly one thing that caught my eye in the article was the elimination of 43 programs. Holy Toledo that is quite a few. I know that they did eliminate several in the past decade or so but 43!

Does anyone know which programs are getting the proverbial axe?
                            When I was at RMU, their school of engineering grew exponentially. A lot of students choose it for good reasons: smaller campus, less expensive for some, and faculty engagement. Some students aren't interested in research. Or having grad students teach their classes. Do some wish they were at Penn State? Hell yeah but mostly for football & parties.

Comment

• Another shooting off campus last night. Were those the Carriage House apartments?

Comment

• Rock at IUP today

Nevermind

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X