Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Sounds fantastic for the student experience. I'd assume they will all leave (students).
    Some will but the average student isn't tied to program professors the way athletes are to coaches. Few if any have met a program professor before enrollment.

Comment

Temple is no different than Oakland (Pittsburgh). You have Pitt and Carnegie Mellon right beside each other. A couple miles over is Duquesne.

By and large, however, I don't think IUP is competing much with those schools (certainly not Carnegie Mellon). Of the 'state schools' IUP competes with for students, ... IUP is the one constantly getting bad press in Western PA. But, hey, if you have three stabbings, two shootings and a murder prior to Halloween ... you deserve some bad press.

Is it a major factor in IUP hitting the ice berg? Probably not. It's probably just one on a long list. But, every body counts at this point.

I will always believe if they can get a kid here, they should land him/her. The campus and town sells itself (compared to the immediate competition). I'd really put an emphasis on that 'first impression' tour of campus. You need sales people (of sorts) in many ways. People need to feel wanted here. Red carpet. The days of Johnny Frat having a part-time job leading tours around campus need to end. Let the campus sell the kids. Let the trained recruiters sell Mom and Dad.

A lot of us have been to many of the campuses we compete with for students. Que the bias but IUP should clobber them in what they have to sell. It's not even close in many comparisons.

We're losing kids to the PSU and Pitt bum-duck campuses. Has anybody every been to Penn State-Altoona or Pitt-Greensburg? Goodness. Close the freaking deal. I know they get that slightly fancier diploma ... but they also have go to 13th grade in the far corner of Greensburg.

You need, to an extent, the same tenacity recruiting 'students' today as when you recruit 'student-athletes'.
      WOAH! I was a Crimson Guide for 3 years. Easy there buddy. As a former tour guide, I can assure you Johnny Frat isn't anywhere close to showcasing the school. Lots of campus jobs. That's the toughest one to land. When I was a sophomore, that was the high water mark for enrollment. There were over 15,000 on campus in the fall of 2012 and there were 10 of us who were tour guides. Johnny Frat isn't getting that gig. That's a brutal process. Numerous interviews. Numerous mock tours given to people in admissions. It's a long process and they vet you extremely well for a part time college job. And once you get that job, its yours unless you quit or screw up (DUI, underage, arrest, etc.). So there's years where they might only add 1-2 students based on what was lost to graduation.

I don't think the students leading the tours are the issue. If anything, the ones doing that job are the most passionate on campus about the school.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP24 View Post

WOAH! I was a Crimson Guide for 3 years. Easy there buddy. As a former tour guide, I can assure you Johnny Frat isn't anywhere close to showcasing the school. Lots of campus jobs. That's the toughest one to land. When I was a sophomore, that was the high water mark for enrollment. There were over 15,000 on campus in the fall of 2012 and there were 10 of us who were tour guides. Johnny Frat isn't getting that gig. That's a brutal process. Numerous interviews. Numerous mock tours given to people in admissions. It's a long process and they vet you extremely well for a part time college job. And once you get that job, its yours unless you quit or screw up (DUI, underage, arrest, etc.). So there's years where they might only add 1-2 students based on what was lost to graduation.

I don't think the students leading the tours are the issue. If anything, the ones doing that job are the most passionate on campus about the school.
        You'd be amazed at the number of students that choose a university without visiting these days. The students that do the 10 campus visits and sit on their hands until April, hoping to get a better Financial aid deal to their reach school are not considering IUP any more. The student ambassadors, and tour guides were a huge selling point. But no one is coming to those events any more.
        Most of the current students are deciding, and then making one trip to get to meet people and look for funding. Times have changed, and the people involved don't have the motivation/ability/resources to change with it.

Comment

• Originally posted by ironmaniup View Post

You'd be amazed at the number of students that choose a university without visiting these days. The students that do the 10 campus visits and sit on their hands until April, hoping to get a better Financial aid deal to their reach school are not considering IUP any more. The student ambassadors, and tour guides were a huge selling point. But no one is coming to those events any more.
          Most of the current students are deciding, and then making one trip to get to meet people and look for funding. Times have changed, and the people involved don't have the motivation/ability/resources to change with it.
          Class of 1998: applied to 3 schools on avg

Class of 2018: applied to 14 schools on avg

Comment

I'm not disagreeing with what your saying. My post was in response to saying BigIndians saying the students giving campus tours are Johnny Frat, and they aren't lol. It's incredibly difficult to get that position on campus.

The IUP ambassadors is a different group that is not affiliated with IUP admissions. I graduated in 2015, so I can't tell you what those open house admission dates look like now. They were always packed when I was there. But those aren't the only times students come to campus. We would all give multiple tours through the week to groups of about 8-10 prospective students and families. In my experience, more visited campus that way than through the open house events. May be different 5 years later though.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

Class of 1998: applied to 3 schools on avg

Class of 2018: applied to 14 schools on avg
              I know, that's the crazy thing, they are not doing all the visits. Maybe too many schools to visit, but alot decide sight unseen.

Comment

I know, that's the crazy thing, they are not doing all the visits. Maybe too many schools to visit, but alot decide sight unseen.
                My wife enrolled at Edinboro sight unseen. She had originally chosen Clarion. After attending orientation, she was convinced it wasn't the right decision. She bumped into one of her favorite teachers. He told her how he played football at Edinboro, met his wife there, and rattled off a list of kids from her hometown going to Edinboro. That was enough and she did the work to change everything.

Comment

My wife enrolled at Edinboro sight unseen. She had originally chosen Clarion. After attending orientation, she was convinced it wasn't the right decision. She bumped into one of her favorite teachers. He told her how he played football at Edinboro, met his wife there, and rattled off a list of kids from her hometown going to Edinboro. That was enough and she did the work to change everything.
                  I never visited any colleges. I applied to two, and ended up attending seven.

Comment

• I couldn't imagine picking a college sight unseen. Imagine being 18 and being delivered to Mansfield.

Each his own.

Comment

Temple is no different than Oakland (Pittsburgh). You have Pitt and Carnegie Mellon right beside each other. A couple miles over is Duquesne.

By and large, however, I don't think IUP is competing much with those schools (certainly not Carnegie Mellon). Of the 'state schools' IUP competes with for students, ... IUP is the one constantly getting bad press in Western PA. But, hey, if you have three stabbings, two shootings and a murder prior to Halloween ... you deserve some bad press.

Is it a major factor in IUP hitting the ice berg? Probably not. It's probably just one on a long list. But, every body counts at this point.

I will always believe if they can get a kid here, they should land him/her. The campus and town sells itself (compared to the immediate competition). I'd really put an emphasis on that 'first impression' tour of campus. You need sales people (of sorts) in many ways. People need to feel wanted here. Red carpet. The days of Johnny Frat having a part-time job leading tours around campus need to end. Let the campus sell the kids. Let the trained recruiters sell Mom and Dad.

A lot of us have been to many of the campuses we compete with for students. Que the bias but IUP should clobber them in what they have to sell. It's not even close in many comparisons.

We're losing kids to the PSU and Pitt bum-duck campuses. Has anybody every been to Penn State-Altoona or Pitt-Greensburg? Goodness. Close the freaking deal. I know they get that slightly fancier diploma ... but they also have go to 13th grade in the far corner of Greensburg.

You need, to an extent, the same tenacity recruiting 'students' today as when you recruit 'student-athletes'.
                      Oh Oakland is much nicer than North Philadelphia. Oakland is more like University City where Penn and Drexel are located.

It is odd that as the IUP campus has improved, the less students they have enrolled. I mean I have looked at Slimey on Google Maps Street View and I'm not getting the lure to be there. It looks boring and low energy.

I'm thinking IUP just doesn't have programs that students need to go out and get jobs anymore. Why doesn't IUP have a Physician Assistant Program...there is a flipping hospital within walking distance to the campus that they can hook up with.

Also...kids probably think that IUP isn't that much cheaper than schools with bigger names so they may as well go in full hock and get the bigger school diploma.

Comment

I applied only to IUP and Millersville. My parents took me to both. I was only given the option to go to a state system school since they were paying for it and that is what they could afford.

I wanted to go to Millersville because it was an hour from home. I got sent to IUP. Once again, mother knows best.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bart View Post

I never visited any colleges. I applied to two, and ended up attending seven.
                          Your high point was going to IUP. Why you gave that up for Bloomsburg confuses me...LOL.

Comment

I couldn't imagine picking a college sight unseen. Imagine being 18 and being delivered to Mansfield.

Each his own.
                            Hey...being left in Indiana, PA was not easy for someone from Norristown, PA. It was a major adjustment that took well over a few semesters to achieve.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

Your high point was going to IUP. Why you gave that up for Bloomsburg confuses me...LOL.
                              Bloom came first, so technically I left Bloom for IUP. I drove to Indiana in a 72 Buick with over 100,000 miles and a piece of plastic serving as the driver side window. It has been all icing on the cake since. .

Comment

• Originally posted by Bart View Post

Bloom came first, so technically I left Bloom for IUP. I drove to Indiana in a 72 Buick with over 100,000 miles and a piece of plastic serving as the driver side window. It has been all icing on the cake since. .
                                So IUP put you on the right trajectory in life!!!!

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X