Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Let's hope the next step isn't letting townies rent dorm rooms. LOL.

One thing I know for sure is the Slum Lord market in Indiana is dying. Lots and lots of what were forever college dumps are being sold by the week. Flippers are buying them up and renovating them to family homes. There are very few college houses left 'across' Philly Street. Even the once-booming college neighborhood across from the Wayne Ave McDonald's (a couple streets back) is largely becoming all permanent residents.

It's actually good for the town in the current time. For decades they had no reason to fix those dumps up. They were in demand. Now, there are thousands less students and the ones who want to live off campus want nice places.

I have a slum lord buddy in town who owns 6 houses. He said he can't even give them away right now to renters.
    So basically what you are saying is that the flop houses are being turned into flip houses. LOL.

Yeah, I think student housing has very much exponentially improved down that way.

Comment

Check out the article in today Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

WCCC students moving in to IUP dorms ...

yeah ... that's the subject.
      Basically they are de facto outsourcing the first 2 years of school to much cheaper professors. The problem is, how many of these students will eventually make it at IUP. The fail rate from community colleges is really high. WCU used this to great effect, but that was because they had no room for the weaker students the first two years. This seems to be encouraging students not to come to IUP.

Comment

Let's hope the next step isn't letting townies rent dorm rooms. LOL.

One thing I know for sure is the Slum Lord market in Indiana is dying. Lots and lots of what were forever college dumps are being sold by the week. Flippers are buying them up and renovating them to family homes. There are very few college houses left 'across' Philly Street. Even the once-booming college neighborhood across from the Wayne Ave McDonald's (a couple streets back) is largely becoming all permanent residents.

It's actually good for the town in the current time. For decades they had no reason to fix those dumps up. They were in demand. Now, there are thousands less students and the ones who want to live off campus want nice places.

I have a slum lord buddy in town who owns 6 houses. He said he can't even give them away right now to renters.
        They were dumps 35 years ago. I can only imagine how many of them have been fire code violations all these years.

There are some beautiful old homes in Indiana. If some of them are being restored that will be a wonderful thing.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

They were dumps 35 years ago. I can only imagine how many of them have been fire code violations all these years.

There are some beautiful old homes in Indiana. If some of them are being restored that will be a wonderful thing.
          Interesting dynamic developing. You are correct ... there are some old, actual near- mansions in Indiana proper -- particuarly on N. 6th and parts of S. 6th.

N. 6th has stayed much nicer. Many on the south end have unfortunately turned in to college houses.

The N. 6th item is those really big, fancy houses are slowly coming up for sale one after another. Most of the owners are getting up there in age. Many are initially listing for big numbers (Indiana standards). Problem is the 'young money' in Indiana doesn't want to live in town. Indiana is now surrounded by more modern developments in White Twp.

So, who knows what will become of those big houses. Many of them are extremely grand. They were the homes of wealthy coal execs in the 50s, etc. They don't build 'em like that anymore. Some of them would cost a fortune to try and duplicate today.

On that street, The Brown Hotel is a whole different subject.

Comment

• IUP has offered QB Joey McCraken (Warwick High). Also has a Ship offer.

5A first-team All-State (I know ...they're all All-everything at this point).

Comment

Interesting dynamic developing. You are correct ... there are some old, actual near- mansions in Indiana proper -- particuarly on N. 6th and parts of S. 6th.

N. 6th has stayed much nicer. Many on the south end have unfortunately turned in to college houses.

The N. 6th item is those really big, fancy houses are slowly coming up for sale one after another. Most of the owners are getting up there in age. Many are initially listing for big numbers (Indiana standards). Problem is the 'young money' in Indiana doesn't want to live in town. Indiana is now surrounded by more modern developments in White Twp.

So, who knows what will become of those big houses. Many of them are extremely grand. They were the homes of wealthy coal execs in the 50s, etc. They don't build 'em like that anymore. Some of them would cost a fortune to try and duplicate today.

On that street, The Brown Hotel is a whole different subject.
              Is the restaurant at the Brown Hotel still open. A group of us ate dinner there as students and we though we were being fancy...:-D

Ypuvard right about the homes on 6th Street...gorgeous old homes.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

Is the restaurant at the Brown Hotel still open. A group of us ate dinner there as students and we though we were being fancy...:-D

Ypuvard right about the homes on 6th Street...gorgeous old homes.
                The Brown was shut down a couple years back. It needs some serious structural repairs. It's been sitting vacant. It was a nice place at one time ... still could be but it would take some coin.

Comment

• IUP has offered Darius Bruce (Westinghouse).

Comment

IUP has offered Darius Bruce (Westinghouse).
                    As a DB???

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

As a DB???
                      I would assume DB.

He has several D2 offers. IUP would be his most high-profile football offer as of now.

Comment

The Brown was shut down a couple years back. It needs some serious structural repairs. It's been sitting vacant. It was a nice place at one time ... still could be but it would take some coin.

Comment

• Bruno's would look exactly the same today ... kind if the charm of it, I suppose.

Coyne's down Wayne Ave ... I remember it.

Comment

Bruno's would look exactly the same today ... kind if the charm of it, I suppose.

Coyne's down Wayne Ave ... I remember it.
                            Yup, Bruno's NEVER changes at all. Denny Della Penna is the host with the most. Fun guy.

Coyne's Pub was really an outstanding place way back in the day. Tommy Coyne was second to no one when it came to knowing how to run a good restaurant.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post

Yup, Bruno's NEVER changes at all. Denny Della Penna is the host with the most. Fun guy.

Coyne's Pub was really an outstanding place way back in the day. Tommy Coyne was second to no one when it came to knowing how to run a good restaurant.
                              Brings back memories. I used to go to all of those places. I remember Mr. Coyne. I went there a lot. It was pretty good. I used to go to The Brown Hotel in the early 80's. They would have live jazz there in the dining room. It was a good atmosphere. Somebody back then had restored the place; I think it was even more prominent decades earlier. It might be too far gone to restore it again. I was in Bruno's about 10 years ago. That might have been the last time I was in Indiana.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post

It's the charm of Bruno's for sure. It's like a time capsule.

The two most popular higher-end restaurants in Indiana now are Benjamin's and Naps. Right beside Naps is Josephine's, which is the 'trendy-hipster-yuppy' place in town. There are two Mexican restaurants on Philly Street now along with all the bars and pizza places. Brunzies is the more-upscale bar/restaurant. It has a city vibe to it and really packs the place -- some students but mostly the 25 and up crowd.

The Grapevine was forever the high-end restaurant in town. It moved several years ago out to Homer City. It still seems odd.

What many of us knew as Kangaroo's and later Boomerangs and later Boomies ... now has yet another name. It's a microbrewery. It just re-opened under the new scheme.

Twisted Jimmy's also closed for a re-brand. It has yet to re-open.

The Train Station closed for most of Covid and then re-opened early this month -- only to close again.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X