Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The 2022 season there will be an influx of PWO players looking for new homes going from Power 5 schools to either G5 schools, FCS schools and D2 schools due to the shortage of scholarships available when the NCAA makes teams go back to 85 scholarships and they'll realize chances of them getting on scholarship are slim to none. As said in a previous post above this should be the target for many PSAC coaches hit the portal for those players not on scholarship at these big programs. I'm not sure any FCS schools are offering many PWO spots knowing their numbers will drastically be hit next year when they drop from 80 back down to 63 scholarships.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

North Catholic is a small classification school. That said, most of their kids are from larger school districts so it's hard to say. Many years they'd compete just fine playing up a couple classes.

Like Frank Cignetti always said ... you'll almost never get a kid with a D1 offer. We all know (most of) the PSAC is pretty good football -- 'we' however are a very small community. When you're in high school, the perception is its just some second-rate D2 league that is perceived as 13th grade at a no-name school. Our football facilities, as a whole, are awful. We're not on TV, etc. Even D1 offers at the true trash programs (that would lose to many D2 schools) still get that 'D1' status on the so-important (to them) social media, etc.

I mentioned a week ago you could make a living here off of signing PWO's from major programs. They get it out of their system. They've seen they aren't going to make it at Penn State or Pitt or wherever. But, they've had a year experience running scout against elite-caliber players. They understand how programs run, etc. You'd get them almost all with four years' eligibility as they no doubt took a redshirt as a PWO. They've had a year in the weight room. You get that year of body development from scrawny (or chubby lineman) 18-year-old out of the way.

I know some PWO's turn in to incredible stories -- but the vast majority do not. Many actually do stick around and play scout team for 4-5 years just for the status.
      Yup. My dad was a proud North Catholic grad but doesn't identify with it anymore. For a long time it was made up of Catholic kids from working and middle class neighborhoods on the North Side up Rt 19 and Rt 8 until maybe North Park. By the time I was in high school it was mostly Cranberry, Wexford, Pine, & Hampton wealthy kids whose parents didn't want their kids in a public school or were trying to buy them playing time. Its why they closed the North Side school and moved it to Mars/Cranberry. It also put Vincentian high school out of business, who were also kept alive from the same crowd who didn't want to drive their kids to Troy Hill or Mars.

Comment

• Originally posted by shipfbfan1 View Post
        The 2022 season there will be an influx of PWO players looking for new homes going from Power 5 schools to either G5 schools, FCS schools and D2 schools due to the shortage of scholarships available when the NCAA makes teams go back to 85 scholarships and they'll realize chances of them getting on scholarship are slim to none. As said in a previous post above this should be the target for many PSAC coaches hit the portal for those players not on scholarship at these big programs. I'm not sure any FCS schools are offering many PWO spots knowing their numbers will drastically be hit next year when they drop from 80 back down to 63 scholarships.
        I don't believe there's a roster limit at FCS and most FCS schools are private, so a PWO opportunity is encouraged by administration. When I was at RMU, I'd meet so many kids from all over (especially the DMV) who were borrowing $40k a year to play "Division 1 football". Some would stick around, earn playing time, then get like $5k. Oh boy!

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

I don't believe there's a roster limit at FCS and most FCS schools are private, so a PWO opportunity is encouraged by administration. When I was at RMU, I'd meet so many kids from all over (especially the DMV) who were borrowing $40k a year to play "Division 1 football". Some would stick around, earn playing time, then get like $5k. Oh boy!

That just makes you cringe. Such bad advice. Hopefully they at least take their academics seriously while there. Bobby Mo, Duquesne, Saint Francis, etc., ... aren't sending many to play on Sunday.

The ones who get me are the basketball players. Just using local Pitt as an example ... they always have those 1-2 dudes at the end of the bench who were usually local high school stars. They sit there for 5 years. They get the occasional 30 seconds at the end of a blowout. Most could be at minimum rotation guys in D2. They stay on walk-on status their whole career. Each his own.

Comment

That just makes you cringe. Such bad advice. Hopefully they at least take their academics seriously while there. Bobby Mo, Duquesne, Saint Francis, etc., ... aren't sending many to play on Sunday.

The ones who get me are the basketball players. Just using local Pitt as an example ... they always have those 1-2 dudes at the end of the bench who were usually local high school stars. They sit there for 5 years. They get the occasional 30 seconds at the end of a blowout. Most could be at minimum rotation guys in D2. They stay on walk-on status their whole career. Each his own.
            Those guys are the same ones that 20 years down the road say, "I played at Michigan St and I was a stud."

Comment

Yuri Demetris haha

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

Yuri Demetris haha
                Yeah he could play. He'd have been a good D2 player. He left Pitt after I think 3 years and played his senior season at La Roche or Point Park. Odd choice for a last hurrah but nonetheless.

Comment

Yeah he could play. He'd have been a good D2 player. He left Pitt after I think 3 years and played his senior season at La Roche or Point Park. Odd choice for a last hurrah but nonetheless.
                  He would have been a D2 monster like Justin Tielsch. Dixon kicked Yuri off the team after he was arrested for breaking into his ex girlfriend's apartment and getting into a kerfuffle with her.

Comment

• LBs coach (and former IUP player) Nick Dubowski is leaving the staff. He was hired in March of this past year. He is taking a job outside of football.

Comment

• IUP has offered WR/KR Bilal Weidler (Susquehanna Twp.).

Comment

• Very troubling, breaking news story in Indiana.

Former (longtime) IASD teacher arrested ... charged with sexual assault of a minor.

All the Pittsburgh news outlets have the story.

Comment

• IUP has offered Vinny Sirianni (Peters Twp.).

DB/RB/LB in high school.

Comment

• IUP has offered Norwin WR Connor Chrisman. He visited this weekend.

He has offers from about half of SR1.

Comment

• Incredibly we are actually inching closer to Spring Ball already. The new semester starts soo, too, so I'd assume any mid-year transfers are already here (despite them, as usual, being kept under lock-n-key).

At some point, too, they'll have to unleash the Spring roster. We can see which seniors decided to stick around. I'd assume most of them.

Tell you what, if they come out of this year with any academic casualties ... just cut them. No excuses.

I guess we'll see what the world looks like this summer. The ultra-conservative approach the PSAC took with sports this year doesn't leave me all warm and fuzzy toward next Fall.

Comment

Incredibly we are actually inching closer to Spring Ball already. The new semester starts soo, too, so I'd assume any mid-year transfers are already here (despite them, as usual, being kept under lock-n-key).

At some point, too, they'll have to unleash the Spring roster. We can see which seniors decided to stick around. I'd assume most of them.

Tell you what, if they come out of this year with any academic casualties ... just cut them. No excuses.

I guess we'll see what the world looks like this summer. The ultra-conservative approach the PSAC took with sports this year doesn't leave me all warm and fuzzy toward next Fall.
                                What if its Duane Brown?

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X