Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Down from old frat row near the KCAC.

Think the old Giant Eagle ... Uncle Sud's and McDonald's area.
    You are absolutely correct. It's basically at the Y intersection towards McDonald's. What a dump that area has become. Send that action back to the Carriage House.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

You are absolutely correct. It's basically at the Y intersection towards McDonald's. What a dump that area has become. Send that action back to the Carriage House.
      Carriage House -- somewhat -- has cleaned up a bit over the past 5 years or so. It doesn't get the police action it used to in the 90s and early 00s. You'd think that area of Wayne would be easy to patrol and keep somewhat under wraps. But, that's really the only full strip of exclusively college houses. Both sides of Wayne and even behind it (Fleming). Right at the 'Y' there where the old video store is they have 3-4 in a row all for sale -- although I think the offer is for all of them together. They all all need torn down -- total eyesores.

What's sad is Giant Eagle spent a fortune converting their old store to what they called a prototype Giant Eagle Market. It was a really nice store, but it closed within a couple years. That building has been sitting there empty for at least 3 years now. It's still for lease but they want something like $30,000/month for it. Could an Olive Garden or something work there? Hard to say. It's now right in the heart of the new ghetto of campus -- which surely doesn't help.

Comment

Carriage House -- somewhat -- has cleaned up a bit over the past 5 years or so. It doesn't get the police action it used to in the 90s and early 00s. You'd think that area of Wayne would be easy to patrol and keep somewhat under wraps. But, that's really the only full strip of exclusively college houses. Both sides of Wayne and even behind it (Fleming). Right at the 'Y' there where the old video store is they have 3-4 in a row all for sale -- although I think the offer is for all of them together. They all all need torn down -- total eyesores.

What's sad is Giant Eagle spent a fortune converting their old store to what they called a prototype Giant Eagle Market. It was a really nice store, but it closed within a couple years. That building has been sitting there empty for at least 3 years now. It's still for lease but they want something like $30,000/month for it. Could an Olive Garden or something work there? Hard to say. It's now right in the heart of the new ghetto of campus -- which surely doesn't help.
        I remember a Pizza Hut at that intersection. It's probably been gone for decades.

Comment

Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

I remember a Pizza Hut at that intersection. It's probably been gone for decades.
          It's still there ... although it's now half KFC and half Pizza Hut.

Comment

Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

I would go to the Pizza Hut next to the student union (which had an Hardee's inside).

Comment

Carriage House was a riot the two years I lived there. Contact buzz is an understatement. hahahaha Funny that you call that the new ghetto. I drive by there and it's not even close to as run down and ****ty as the "ghetto' areas of Erie. Bring back Uncle Sudsy's!!!

Comment

Carriage House was a riot the two years I lived there. Contact buzz is an understatement. hahahaha Funny that you call that the new ghetto. I drive by there and it's not even close to as run down and ****ty as the "ghetto' areas of Erie. Bring back Uncle Sudsy's!!!
                That Giant Eagle ran Sudsy's out ... and then closed. I'm still lobbying for The Gingerbread Man to make a comeback.

Comment

That Giant Eagle ran Sudsy's out ... and then closed. I'm still lobbying for The Gingerbread Man to make a comeback.
                  Wolfies is up for sale.

Comment

Wolfies is up for sale.
                    It's a tough gig. The owners there have been there about 20 years.

Twenty years of putting up with drunken college kids. They made some serious coin there.

Remember $2 anything ... lol. They were certainly the first bar on Philly to ever have cage dancers.

The Coventry Inn finally sold. Not sure what the new owners have in mind. It appears the latest edition of The Train Station is dead.

Comment

The Wolfies owner have owned it more than 20. I'm thinking like 25 years. Ken looked old way back then. hahahahaha

Comment

I have never heard of The Gingerbread Man. But when I was in school, Munchie Man was a big deal. Although he "retired" after my sophomore year. He set up a hot dog stand on the street next to the Giant Eagle Express store on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday nights. Could get 50 cent hot dogs.

Comment

It didn't take long for the slum section of the IUP campus (800 block of Wayne Ave) to make some headlines. First stabbing over the weekend (those involved were 20 and 23 years old). No official word if either were IUP students.

For those who haven't been back in years, the old 'Frat Row' (as most of us knew it) is largely gone. A lot of the slum frat houses were tore down. It seems most of the trouble simply moved further down the street. Several of the worst crimes near campus in the past 5 years have all come on the same block.

Comment

It's a tough gig. The owners there have been there about 20 years.

Twenty years of putting up with drunken college kids. They made some serious coin there.

Remember $2 anything ... lol. They were certainly the first bar on Philly to ever have cage dancers.

The Coventry Inn finally sold. Not sure what the new owners have in mind. It appears the latest edition of The Train Station is dead.
                            Last edited by IUPNation; 09-07-2020, 08:49 AM.

Comment

There's two left on what we'd call the old frat row. By IUP standards they are nicer ones. The others have kind of spread out -- which I think was the goal.

Seventh Street looks nicer now. It still gets a lot of activity being the main gateway from campus up to Philly Street. But, visually it's 100 times nicer than in the 80s and 90s.

Comment

Originally posted by IUP24 View Post

I have never heard of The Gingerbread Man. But when I was in school, Munchie Man was a big deal. Although he "retired" after my sophomore year. He set up a hot dog stand on the street next to the Giant Eagle Express store on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday nights. Could get 50 cent hot dogs.
                                The G-Man was a popular bar in the 80s and 90s. It was located in what you'd remember as Cozumel. They were famous for quarter Rolling Rock drafts a couple nights a week. More recently it was called Off the Rocks but that place has closed. It has a sign up now stating a Mexican Bar and Grill is soon opening (two on Philly).

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X