• Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by IUP412 View Post

Irv in the mix that's for sure.
    That's very good to hear.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP412 View Post

Irv in the mix that's for sure.
      In the mix for this Spring, the upcoming Fall, or both !?

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

You must live in Montour County...number one in per capita vaccinations in PA.

Comment

• Word around town is IUPatties is either next weekend or the following.

Comment

• From WCCS:

th.

IUP also notified the State College and University Professional Association of the elimination of five other positions and the transition of one 12-month position to a nine-month position.

The university also said that employees who are transferred to the nine-month positions will retain their full benefits.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
              Word around town is IUPatties is either next weekend or the following.
              That should get them some unpaid media exposure.

Comment

• Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

That should get them some unpaid media exposure.
                Well, remember (as we're told over and over again by IUP) ... it's not an "IUP event".

Comment

• That's a good move. It used to be that every office needed an adult to receive visitors, answer phones, type, etc. In all honesty, those skills are so common now that with some work they could hire students at a much lower rate and no need for benefits. The compensation for these positions is pretty nice. If you put in the years you can easily make $55-60k without a degree and really great benefits. If they can replace some of these folks with GAs or work-studies they'll save some serious money.

Those SCUPA positions are student-facing so they've probably deemed them as unnecessary for summer months. Their pay will just be prorated down.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
                    That's a good move. It used to be that every office needed an adult to receive visitors, answer phones, type, etc. In all honesty, those skills are so common now that with some work they could hire students at a much lower rate and no need for benefits. The compensation for these positions is pretty nice. If you put in the years you can easily make $55-60k without a degree and really great benefits. If they can replace some of these folks with GAs or work-studies they'll save some serious money.

Those SCUPA positions are student-facing so they've probably deemed them as unnecessary for summer months. Their pay will just be prorated down.
                    It will save alot of money, but the people being cut are mostly the 30k salaried secretaries. It will certainly be more efficient, since during summer there were some department secretaries sitting around reading the paper alot. The problem is both the offices that were active and the offices that were not will have equal cuts, based on seniority. and for the busy departments, the student sercice will be cut pretty significantly. A GA can answer phones, do data entry, and direct students, but for difficult student questions, an experienced secretary is invaluable. Student services are being redone at a time when gaining back our previous market share of a decreasing student population is essential, and we're cutting the student services in draconian ways. Hard to not see this as a death spiral.

Comment

• Originally posted by ironmaniup View Post

It will save alot of money, but the people being cut are mostly the 30k salaried secretaries. It will certainly be more efficient, since during summer there were some department secretaries sitting around reading the paper alot. The problem is both the offices that were active and the offices that were not will have equal cuts, based on seniority. and for the busy departments, the student sercice will be cut pretty significantly. A GA can answer phones, do data entry, and direct students, but for difficult student questions, an experienced secretary is invaluable. Student services are being redone at a time when gaining back our previous market share of a decreasing student population is essential, and we're cutting the student services in draconian ways. Hard to not see this as a death spiral.
                      It depends. There are two classifications: Clerk Typist and Management Technician. Each has tiers as well. Clerk Typist is your basic secretary/receptionist. Clerical work for an office: phones, documents, data entry, etc. Management Technician is closer to an office manager with bigger administrative tasks that don't necessarily require a degree or specific experience. I haven't seen the breakdown on which of these positions are planned to go.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

It depends. There are two classifications: Clerk Typist and Management Technician. Each has tiers as well. Clerk Typist is your basic secretary/receptionist. Clerical work for an office: phones, documents, data entry, etc. Management Technician is closer to an office manager with bigger administrative tasks that don't necessarily require a degree or specific experience. I haven't seen the breakdown on which of these positions are planned to go.
                        Wow, that sounds anachronistic!

Reminds me of when I started working professionally in the late 80's/early 90's and I used to write up marketing reports in cursive and take them to a secretary/typist to type. That actually happened.

Are these positions really necessary?

Comment

• Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

Wow, that sounds anachronistic!

Reminds me of when I started working professionally in the late 80's/early 90's and I used to write up marketing reports in cursive and take them to a secretary/typist to type. That actually happened.

Are these positions really necessary?
                          I don't know. I've seen it done that you can provide receptionist staffing and some basic admin work with a good fleet of student workers. Older and more experienced undergrads or GAs can handle more projects. When I was a junior and senior, my work-study job in the Alumni office 10 hours a week had me manage the office alumni account and manage the alumni news updates they'd summarize at the end of the alumni magazine and the letter from the president that would accompany each one. There was an endless list of address changes to process, too. I was very rarely ever not working. So match that up with some other Federal Work Study jobs (100% free to the university from government money) and you've saved yourself a benefits-eligible position.

My time working in higher ed did lead me to believe there's value in having more students work on campus. Beloit College in Kentucky provides nearly free education in exchange for working on campus. Campus jobs tend to pay less (most are minimum wage) but they're never going to schedule you over class, finals, etc. Most are during business hours so you also rarely work evening and weekends unless that's the job. Plus you build some great relationships with staff and those relationships matter.

Comment

• Police have arrested the fourth suspect (and alleged shooter) in last year's Carriage House murder.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                              Police have arrested the fourth suspect (and alleged shooter) in last year's Carriage House murder.
                              All over marijuana... sad!

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

All over marijuana... sad!
                                $10 sale (not joking)

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X