X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting article from WCCS:

School District Cases

1. Blairsville-Saltsburg School District: 0 since start of school year
    School District Communities: 1973 tests, 101 total cases since March (0.05)

2. United School District: 2 cases since start of school year
    School District Communities: 484 tests, 13 cases since March (0.02)

3. Purchase Line School District: 0 cases since start of school year.
    School District Communities: 771 tests, 0 confirmed cases. (0.00)

4. Penns Manor School District: 1 case since start of school year
    School District Communities: 277 tests, 16 confirmed cases (0.05)

5. Marion Center School District: 0 cases since start of school year
    School District Communities: 631 tests, 31 confirmed cases (0.04)

6. Homer-Center School District: 2 cases since start of school year, both have returned to school
    School District Communities: 758 tests, 45 confirmed cases. (0.05)

7. Indiana School District: 1 case since start of school year
    School District Communities: 3,696 tests, *282 confirmed cases (0.08)

*87 IUP cases in 15701 and 15705 zip codes.

Comment

• Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

You have previously said that all conservative whites are racists. Now you are saying that most white police are conservative. So if most white police conservatives then they must be racist right?

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
        Interesting article from WCCS:

School District Cases

6. Homer-Center School District: 2 cases since start of school year, both have returned to school

Comment

Interesting article from WCCS:

School District Cases

Something that came up in my last meeting with Edinboro people, the president said something that led to their decision was not just how wide of a reach they have with people driving to campus every day to learn & work - but the frequency that residential students (on campus and in town) go home on the weekends. They didn't want to contribute to any spread in NWPA and that's admirable. Edinboro also wasn't in the financial position to conduct the amount of testing necessary for 5,000 students and employees stepping foot on campus. I posted the main article in the Covid thread, but this graphic was posted in an article by the SRU student paper:

Comment

• Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

This is laughable but so very inline with liberal propaganda! According to liberal/socalist talking points:

1. White cops are ALL racists.
            2. White cops target blacks for execution.
            3. The only people that shoot and kill blacks are white cops.

As always...facts don't back up ANY of this so they are dismissed is irrellivent and the people that highlight them are summarily dismissed as "racist."

If minority cops want to quit, then they should. BIG difference between a person saying they want to quit their job and actually doing it. I "wanted to quit my job" at least 20 times over my 20 year career

If the Philly cops don't listen to the new comissioner, she should fire them for cause. If she is unwilling or unable to do that, she gets what she gets.
            I believe police are no less likely to have bad people among their ranks than any other profession. HOWEVER, I do believe the profession attracts bad people more than some others. Two college fraternity brothers were studying criminal justice - both were (and still are) racist. One ended up a police officer outside of Philly and was actually fired for posting racist political posts on Facebook. The other works in state correction facility and also posts racist political things online. My cousin's husband is in law enforcement. He used to say coded racist things, like referring to black people as "Canadians". He's a good person, a good father, and a good officer - but I believe he grew up with some racist beliefs that had to be worked out. I do believe policing attracts people who want to bully. The "do as I say or else" attitude is what is causing a lot of the problems with police. I was once stopped on suspicion of DUI (I was trying to plug in my phone) and I refused to perform field sobriety tests. I was in a hurry, knew I had nothing to drink in the last 12 hours (it was not even 9am) and its also my right to refuse those. The officer instantly got upset and told me I'm "going to regret saying that" and also falsely told me my license would be suspended for 12 months if I didn't consent. Any officer (and someone with Google) can learn that refusal of a breathylizer is what gets your license suspended, not refusal to perform field sobriety. He took 10 minutes to set up his PBT and I blew .000. He was upset and asked for permission to search my car for anything illegal. Again, I refused because I have that right and he didn't have probable cause. He got a call on his radio that called him away, but he parted by telling me I was a "smart ass" and "too smart for my own good." Actually, I know how the law works. I'm also lucky that I'm white and well educated. That stop could have gone downhill if I didn't respond respectfully, if I had a criminal record, or if my demographics made him assume I was "up to no good."

Going back to Antwon Rose, the District Attorney cleared him of any wrongdoing. Its right here: https://www.post-gazette.com/news/cr...s/201806270138

Shooting offensively is a crime. Even if you're a police officer. They're not above the law. Its the same as those idiots in Georgia who went after the jogger. Or George Zimmerman going after Trayvon Martin. That's what people are tired of - assuming the worst of a brown skinned person and using excessive force, usually as an offensive move. My unqualified opinion is that its cyclical - when the police stop using unnecessary force at a disproportionate rate with black people, we'll see black people start to trust the police more, resist less, and flee less. One can't happen without the other. Its hard to shape cultural behavior - much easier to change professional training.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

I believe police are no less likely to have bad people among their ranks than any other profession. HOWEVER, I do believe the profession attracts bad people more than some others. Two college fraternity brothers were studying criminal justice - both were (and still are) racist. One ended up a police officer outside of Philly and was actually fired for posting racist political posts on Facebook. The other works in state correction facility and also posts racist political things online. My cousin's husband is in law enforcement. He used to say coded racist things, like referring to black people as "Canadians". He's a good person, a good father, and a good officer - but I believe he grew up with some racist beliefs that had to be worked out. I do believe policing attracts people who want to bully. The "do as I say or else" attitude is what is causing a lot of the problems with police. I was once stopped on suspicion of DUI (I was trying to plug in my phone) and I refused to perform field sobriety tests. I was in a hurry, knew I had nothing to drink in the last 12 hours (it was not even 9am) and its also my right to refuse those. The officer instantly got upset and told me I'm "going to regret saying that" and also falsely told me my license would be suspended for 12 months if I didn't consent. Any officer (and someone with Google) can learn that refusal of a breathylizer is what gets your license suspended, not refusal to perform field sobriety. He took 10 minutes to set up his PBT and I blew .000. He was upset and asked for permission to search my car for anything illegal. Again, I refused because I have that right and he didn't have probable cause. He got a call on his radio that called him away, but he parted by telling me I was a "smart ass" and "too smart for my own good." Actually, I know how the law works. I'm also lucky that I'm white and well educated. That stop could have gone downhill if I didn't respond respectfully, if I had a criminal record, or if my demographics made him assume I was "up to no good."

Going back to Antwon Rose, the District Attorney cleared him of any wrongdoing. Its right here: https://www.post-gazette.com/news/cr...s/201806270138

Shooting offensively is a crime. Even if you're a police officer. They're not above the law. Its the same as those idiots in Georgia who went after the jogger. Or George Zimmerman going after Trayvon Martin. That's what people are tired of - assuming the worst of a brown skinned person and using excessive force, usually as an offensive move. My unqualified opinion is that its cyclical - when the police stop using unnecessary force at a disproportionate rate with black people, we'll see black people start to trust the police more, resist less, and flee less. One can't happen without the other. Its hard to shape cultural behavior - much easier to change professional training.
              The officer was tried and aquitted. Pretty common for a DA to absolve a dead person of any culpability in a crime when they have another person they are charging. Don't want to give the defense any chance to argue that the dead person was the ringleader or was involved and thereby, reduce his clients liability.

Comment

How does one get cleared of no wrong-doing after just being in a car that did a drive-by shooting -- regardless of who pulled the trigger?

This is an incredibly 'hindsight is 20-20' case.

"Under PA law, police officers are justified in using force when they believe it is necessary to prevent death or serious injury to themselves or others, or if they believe it necessary to prevent a suspect's escape from arrest. That suspect, the law continues, must have committed or attempted to commit a forcible felony and pose a danger to human life."

Rosfeld was found not guilty on all charges. And, his jury did have African Americans on it. In fact, they deliberated less than 4 hours.

I still see it as -- end of the day -- a decision was made to commit a crime (drive-by). That decision had consequences. Not saying Rosfeld was right. Not saying he was wrong. But, if you do the crime, ... sometimes you pay the bill. It's easy to look back at that in slow motion. Being in that moment is a whole different thing.

Comment

How does one get cleared of no wrong-doing after just being in a car that did a drive-by shooting -- regardless of who pulled the trigger?

"Under PA law, police officers are justified in using force when they believe it is necessary to prevent death or serious injury to themselves or others, or if they believe it necessary to prevent a suspect's escape from arrest. That suspect, the law continues, must have committed or attempted to commit a forcible felony and pose a danger to human life."

Rosfeld was found not guilty on all charges. And, his jury did have African Americans on it. In fact, they deliberated less than 4 hours.

I still see it as -- end of the day -- a decision was made to commit a crime (drive-by). That decision had consequences. Not saying Rosfeld was right. Not saying he was wrong. But, if you do the crime, ... sometimes you pay the bill. It's easy to look back at that in slow motion. Being in that moment is a whole different thing.
                  Police officers have an incredibly difficult job. I respect the heck out of those men and women considering what they go through. And they aren't paid much for it either.

This discussion is mostly about choices, as you say. At some point, people just need to be better people. The best way to not have interactions with the police is to not break the law. Bottom line. Even on the road. Drive the speed limit. Stop for a second at stop signs. Slow down at yellow lights instead of trying to beat the red. The list goes on. Don't want to be involved in a drive by shooting and have potential negative consequences? Simple, don't get in that car. Don't want to get wrapped up in people dealing drugs? Simple, get different friends. You make your own choices regarding what you do and who you associate with. That in itself is life or death for some people. And not at the hands of cops either.

Society teaches children to give authority the middle finger. You see that with player/coaching interactions in sports at all levels. You see and experience that in schools. And you certainly see and experience that in the streets as it pertains to police officers. As a society, when the heck did we forget about respecting authority, people, and the law?

Comment

• IUP just reported 46 new cases.

136 total.

Comment

• IUP hired Reggie Overton to be the athletic department's first full-time Strength and Conditioning coach.

Comment

You still can't provide evidence that Rose committed a crime. Yes, he likely would have been charged if apprehended, but the DA later said there was no evidence to support, therefore charges would have been dropped. If Rosfeld got to defend himself against charges, Rose deserved that chance too. But instead he was killed. We're supposed to be innocent until proven guilty. But too often black men are treated as presumed guilty and made to prove their innocence. Especially if they were previously convicted of an unrelated crime.

Using my previous experience, if I had refused to comply with the Sewickley police officer and got back into my car, would he have shot me? Probably not. What if I was black? That's what is at issue.

Comment

You still can't provide evidence that Rose committed a crime. Yes, he likely would have been charged if apprehended, but the DA later said there was no evidence to support, therefore charges would have been dropped. If Rosfeld got to defend himself against charges, Rose deserved that chance too. But instead he was killed. We're supposed to be innocent until proven guilty. But too often black men are treated as presumed guilty and made to prove their innocence. Especially if they were previously convicted of an unrelated crime.

Using my previous experience, if I had refused to comply with the Sewickley police officer and got back into my car, would he have shot me? Probably not. What if I was black? That's what is at issue.

Comment

• Wanna know what's wrong with society? Google what happened at Freedom High School and its football program.

Comment

Wanna know what's wrong with society? Google what happened at Freedom High School and its football program.

Comment

• Or maybe your privilege shields you from the reality that we're only hearing about the incidents that result in death or catastrophic injury. There's a reason there's been a proliferation of police review boards. It's not coincidence that we're not hearing stories of white people killed when they refuse to comply with an officer's orders.

It doesn't have to be an either/or. It can be and/if/when. It's possible that we need to do a better job training police. And screening recruits for prejudice. And doing a better job of forging positive relationships between police officers and the community they patrol.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X