Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Yep. A bag full of dope has one IUP student dead, a 17-year-old local gal (IHS honors student) charged with homicide (as an adult) and the others -- who will be caught shortly -- going 'upstate' for a very long time.

Tell you what, if somebody would compile a 30-year history of The Carriage House ... it would be a shocking, fascinating read.

It's funny how bars can get shut down for being 'nuisance bars' yet the crime epicenter of Indiana for (3) decades cannot.
    It won't be popular with the libertarian crowd, but the DA could take the owners to court for negligence.

Comment

Yep. A bag full of dope has one IUP student dead, a 17-year-old local gal (IHS honors student) charged with homicide (as an adult) and the others -- who will be caught shortly -- going 'upstate' for a very long time.

Tell you what, if somebody would compile a 30-year history of The Carriage House ... it would be a shocking, fascinating read.

It's funny how bars can get shut down for being 'nuisance bars' yet the crime epicenter of Indiana for (3) decades cannot.
      Probably a pretty fair point to be honest. Wasn't that place they called Cooper Beach or Copper Beach the same way pretty much. I think they changed the name of it even. No doubt to throw the police and litigants off a little. LOL.

Seems like we are really seeing the Good Ship IUP going down here with all of this stuff that has been happening in recent years. Sad to see. But, hey, some of us did call some things out over the years. Too bad it all fell upon deaf ears!

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

It won't be popular with the libertarian crowd, but the DA could take the owners to court for negligence.
        What could the owners have done to avoid this happening? How are they negligent? I don't see it. but like I always say "I ain't no lawyer."

Comment

• Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

What could the owners have done to avoid this happening? How are they negligent? I don't see it. but like I always say "I ain't no lawyer."

That's an interesting question. Consider it is unofficial campus housing. Those are exclusively IUP students living there -- although it is privately owned and, albeit barely, off-campus.

But, going back at least 20-30 years, ... there's a common denominator involved in the IUP drug trade -- and most of the violent crime, shootings, stabbings and deaths near campus.

I wouldn't go anywhere near that place after dark.

Perhaps it's a 30-year coincidence the same place has the same problems year after year.

Other than keeping a Borough patrol car stationed there 7 days a week ... nothing is really going to change.

Because this incident involved the murder of an IUP student -- and a local underage girl -- it will be much more difficult to sweep under the rug. A lot of 'sweeping' gets done down at The Carriage House.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post

Probably a pretty fair point to be honest. Wasn't that place they called Cooper Beach or Copper Beach the same way pretty much. I think they changed the name of it even. No doubt to throw the police and litigants off a little. LOL.

Seems like we are really seeing the Good Ship IUP going down here with all of this stuff that has been happening in recent years. Sad to see. But, hey, some of us did call some things out over the years. Too bad it all fell upon deaf ears!

It's the number of violent crimes that is so alarming. What happened to the simple fist fight on 7th Street. Too strenuous nowadays, I suppose. Lordy ... we're in mid-October and have already been on the Pittsburgh news 4-5 times for shootings and stabbings. We're on an IUP record pace.

What's funny is this notion that there's only 1,500 students here. LOL. There's probably about 7,000 or so -- with nothing to do. The party scene is booming, which of course leads to all the other nonsense after midnight.

The new DA ran his campaign on tough punishments ... no more slaps on the wrists, etc. They need to make examples out of some of these dealers, etc. End of the day the students have to make better choices. Just don't hold your breath.

Comment

• Carriage House was sketchy at best in the late 70s. It was the bad egg in the Regency, Essex, Carriage house trilogy. Even back then the place reeked of pot and stale beer, but shootings where unheard of back then. Plenty of rumors about fist fights, but no shootings. Carriage house always seemed to have dark cloud hanging over it.

Comment

• A second arrest has been made ... 19-year-old male from Johnstown. Two remain at large -- the alleged shooter from Philly and another assailant from Johnstown.

WTAE didn't state if today's arrest was made local to Indiana.

I'd give the other two jabronis 24 more hours or less.

This wasn't a planned 'hit' .... these guys didn't have a plan in place. I'd guess they are underneath a couch in an Indiana basement. Matter of time now. The other two will likely rat them out.
                Last edited by IUPbigINDIANS; 10-19-2020, 05:00 PM.

Comment

A bar having as many incidents could lose its liquor license. Why couldn't Indiana law enforcement threaten to cut their rental permit?

Comment

A second arrest has been made ... 19-year-old male from Johnstown. Two remain at large -- the alleged shooter from Philly and another assailant from Johnstown.

WTAE didn't state if today's arrest was made local to Indiana.

I'd give the other two jabronis 24 more hours or less.

This wasn't a planned 'hit' .... these guys didn't have a plan in place. I'd guess they are underneath a couch in an Indiana basement. Matter of time now. The other two will likely rat them out.
                    One thing that really gets me is that it was really freaking COLD the night of the shooting. I think it went down to something like 26 degrees. What the hell were they doing outside at 4 AM? I guess we know the answer to that one but geez that is nuts. I guess they found the girl and one guy walking on Oakland Ave. a few hours later. Really strange to be out in that sort of weather that time of early morning. I guess drugs do that to you.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post

One thing that really gets me is that it was really freaking COLD the night of the shooting. I think it went down to something like 26 degrees. What the hell were they doing outside at 4 AM? I guess we know the answer to that one but geez that is nuts. I guess they found the girl and one guy walking on Oakland Ave. a few hours later. Really strange to be out in that sort of weather that time of early morning. I guess drugs do that to you.
                      I'd guess the girl was freaked up out of her mind and doesn't remember much. That could explain why she was taking a stroll a block from the scene when picked up.

Oddly these criminals were the ones who called 911. Heck, they all left on foot. Not many shoot somebody and then call for help.

Just a guess but like the infamous Valentine's robbery of 2020 the gun was probably there for show. Then it went off in a tussle.

The whole story isn't out ... and these four will all turn on each other under police heat.

Sure doesn't sound like master criminals.

Sad stuff. Four young adults and a minor. One is dead. One is getting life (likely). For what?

Comment

I lived there for two years... That place is quality!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

I don't know what this has to do with Libertarianism. I think what you're suggesting is about basic rights.

It's privately owned. It doesn't matter who lives there or that it is primarily IUP students who live there.

There are privately owned housing complexes all over the country where this sort of thing is a weekly occurrence. Why is it different than that if it's in small-town Indiana, PA?

What are you going to do? Surveil the heck out of the place? Compromise the tenant's rights (most of whom are law-abiding, I'm sure)? Conduct illegal searches? What?

IUP could buy it. Then maybe they would have more control.

Comment

I don't know what this has to do with Libertarianism. I think what you're suggesting is about basic rights.

It's privately owned. It doesn't matter who lives there or that it is primarily IUP students who live there.

There are privately owned housing complexes all over the country where this sort of thing is a weekly occurrence. Why is it different than that if it's in small-town Indiana, PA?

What are you going to do? Surveil the heck out of the place? Compromise the tenant's rights (most of whom are law-abiding, I'm sure)? Conduct illegal searches? What?

IUP could buy it. Then maybe they would have more control.

In many ways it's a similar situation to the old Frat Row on 7th Street. The difference is Carriage House is like it's own little tucked away community. Most of the stuff that happens there stays out of public eye -- the way the town likes it. Frat Row was a different sort of problem because 7th Street is the main gateway from Philly Street to IUP. They grew mighty tired of it being such an eyesore. So, they eventually ran out almost all the frats and tore down those craphole houses. Of course, they all just moved down the street to Wayne Ave.

So, short of some rich local or alumni buying the place and hiring a wrecking ball, I think Indiana is stuck with The Carriage House. And, even if they did tear it down ... the crime will just move someplace else. They can't legally keep a police car on the premises ... but I'd sure as heck have one parked on the street beside it -- especially Thursday through Saturday.

I do know Indiana has laws set up for the slumlords. If the police get called out three times to a slumlord house the owner gets fined. Whether that actually ever happens or not is probably a different story. Not sure on apartment complexes.

One positive for the locals with the enrollment hitting the sh!t can is there's less and less college houses in town. Dramatically less. Very, very few exist beyond Philly Street. There are some really nice, old, almost-mansions on the IUP side of Philly. Problem is they have a 'South' on their address (South 7th, etc.). The ones for sale currently ... they can't even give away. If the same house had a 'North' address, they'd sell for double.

Comment

• Was checking out the IUP Football Twitter page and saw an interesting little jab.

They had a Tweet about 'QB Day' and Yahmir Wilkerson (formerly of IUP and now at WCU) replies (and copies) Javon Davis and Tate Gregory ... telling Javon to go get it and for IUP to stop taking transfers.

Twitter jabs aside, Javon looks like he bulked up a good bit. I'm not convinced that QB race is as set as we all thought. That said, I'm hearing many good things about our latest MAC addition.

Comment

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X