Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by WarriorVoice View Post

Another thing we agree on! 2020 is one crazy year!! Anyone really think we'll see any sports in the Spring?
    D1 basketball will play. As much as I pray D2 hoops plays I'm not optimistic. That said they are already working out.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

D2 this week already stated this season won't count for eligibility (winter sports).
      I know some area teachers at one local institution who are planning on the status quo (remote learning) being in place until at least the end of the 2022 calendar year...Batten down the hatches. Normalcy could take a while...

Comment

• Not confirmed but hearing that the victim of the mid-Sept shooting (behind Regency) may have passed away.

He was a 19-year-old male from Aliquippa.

Now, he wasn't an IUP student. That shooting (and rumored homicide) has got absolutely zero press since the day after it happened.

Recall that was the party with 250 people and like 2-3 clips of a 9mm fired. Yes ... that's like 30 shots.

No idea if any arrests have been made. It's been buried on the news front.

The victim was also never identified in the media.

It's just baffling how an event like that can get treatment in a small town like it never happened.
        Last edited by IUPbigINDIANS; 10-21-2020, 07:11 PM.

Comment

Not confirmed but hearing that the victim of the mid-Sept shooting (behind Regency) may have passed away.

He was a 19-year-old male from Aliquippa.

Now, he wasn't an IUP student. That shooting (and rumored homicide) has got absolutely zero press since the day after it happened.

Recall that was the party with 250 people and like 2-3 clips of a 9mm fired. Yes ... that's like 30 shots.

No idea if any arrests have been made. It's been buried on the news front.

The victim was also never identified in the media.

It's just baffling how an event like that can get treatment in a small town like it never happened.
          The new DA seems to s uck major azz! Or so it seems.

Indiana has always been a very corrupt and crooked place. Did we ever really get a real answer to what happened to Jack Davis 33 autumns ago?

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post

The new DA seems to s uck major azz! Or so it seems.

Indiana has always been a very corrupt and crooked place. Did we ever really get a real answer to what happened to Jack Davis 33 autumns ago?
            He "fell down the steps."

#wink-wink

Comment

• Originally posted by WarriorVoice View Post

Another thing we agree on! 2020 is one crazy year!! Anyone really think we'll see any sports in the Spring?
              Right now I may put the odds at 50/50. The biggest detriment that I see at this point for D2 sports is that they don't have the money for the medical testing apparatus and preventive measures at their disposal like the world of big time D-I and pro sports have.

Even if a vaccine should come out sometime in early 2021 I kind of doubt that D2 athletes would be very high on the pecking order to receive it.

Comment

He "fell down the steps."

#wink-wink
                Ah, yes. And I believe that he choked on his own vomit, too.

#winking-back-at-ya

My one neighbor died at IUP in March of 1973 and her family always had some very big questions about what had actually happened to her. They got the Indiana/IUP treatment.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post

Right now I may put the odds at 50/50. The biggest detriment that I see at this point for D2 sports is that they don't have the money for the medical testing apparatus and preventive measures at their disposal like the world of big time D-I and pro sports have.

Even if a vaccine should come out sometime in early 2021 I kind of doubt that D2 athletes would be very high on the pecking order to receive it.
                  That's going to be it. A friend told me they're paying roughly $50 a test for basketball. Players, coaches, and trainers must test no less than three times a week. Plus officials and staff to run games. Thousands per week before travel.

At best we're looking at empty seats and streamed games. So an entire season of those late December and early January games. Let's just scuttle the season, save money, and look to 2021.
                  Last edited by Fightingscot82; 10-22-2020, 05:52 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

That's going to be it. A friend told me they're paying roughly $50 a test for basketball. Players, coaches, and trainers must test no less than three times a week. Plus officials and staff to run games. Thousands per week before travel.

At best we're looking at empty seats and streamed games. So an entire season of those late December and early January games. Let's just scuttle the season, save money, and look to 2021.
                    Yeah, that might be the best strategy. Its a shame too, many athletes at IUP have already had covid, most asymptomatic, or a couple days of cold symptoms. There is really no reason to test athletes any differently than the general public. Keep them away from grandma, don't have 70+ old, or vulnerable people go to the games, it would be fine. Students more at risk of dying of a gunshot or overdose than of Covid.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

I get the whole liability thing. But it is funny high school players aren't being tested at all.

I will say -- unlike PSAC football and the unanimous vote to not play -- I don't think basketball will get an anonymous vote. I could see IUP electing to play. That's a program with a lot of money -- and a lot big donors. Same with Gannon and Mercyhurst.

So, while there may not be 'PSAC' basketball ... there may be basketball for some.

Comment

• Originally posted by ironmaniup View Post

Yeah, that might be the best strategy. Its a shame too, many athletes at IUP have already had covid, most asymptomatic, or a couple days of cold symptoms. There is really no reason to test athletes any differently than the general public. Keep them away from grandma, don't have 70+ old, or vulnerable people go to the games, it would be fine. Students more at risk of dying of a gunshot or overdose than of Covid.
                        Those odds are actually pretty good at IUP. As of late, anyway.

Comment

• I was told that during orientation students spin a wheel for their IUP fate with the following possibilities:

Fail out but live in Indiana three more years
                          Get stabbed
                          Contract a virus from a guy met at a party
                          Get shot
                          Attacked with a machete
                          Screamed at by a white nationalist

Comment

I get the whole liability thing. But it is funny high school players aren't being tested at all.

I will say -- unlike PSAC football and the unanimous vote to not play -- I don't think basketball will get an anonymous vote. I could see IUP electing to play. That's a program with a lot of money -- and a lot big donors. Same with Gannon and Mercyhurst.

So, while there may not be 'PSAC' basketball ... there may be basketball for some.
                            I agree. I could see IUP, Gannon, and Hurst all electing to play. I imagine some MEC teams opting in as well. Might be an interesting season where we finally get that IUP/WLU regular season matchup. Stay tuned.

That said, has there been any outbreaks linked to high school sports? I haven't heard of any.

Comment

Those odds are actually pretty good at IUP. As of late, anyway.
                              You beat me to the punch. LOL.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP24 View Post

I agree. I could see IUP, Gannon, and Hurst all electing to play. I imagine some MEC teams opting in as well. Might be an interesting season where we finally get that IUP/WLU regular season matchup. Stay tuned.

That said, has there been any outbreaks linked to high school sports? I haven't heard of any.
                                They let these kids back on campus. Joe's team has been here all summer. No reason they can't play.

With the team Joe has this year ... they wot't be voting with the rest.

I'd say IUP basketball is at 99% playing. PSAC or not.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X