Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by IUP24 View Post

I agree. I could see IUP, Gannon, and Hurst all electing to play. I imagine some MEC teams opting in as well. Might be an interesting season where we finally get that IUP/WLU regular season matchup. Stay tuned.

That said, has there been any outbreaks linked to high school sports? I haven't heard of any.
    I think if they do choose to play their biggest obstacle will be finding opponents.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

I think if they do choose to play their biggest obstacle will be finding opponents.
      All you need is 10 teams in the Atlantic Region.

So ... if 10 out of 45 (roughly) play you could have a season. Play each other twice. Pick up a non-con somewhere.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

All you need is 10 teams in the Atlantic Region.

So ... if 10 out of 45 (roughly) play you could have a season. Play each other twice. Pick up a non-con somewhere.
        You also run into big travel costs and quarantine issues.

I think this is a perfect year to admit we don't need sports, save the money, and plan for next year.

Comment

You also run into big travel costs and quarantine issues.

I think this is a perfect year to admit we don't need sports, save the money, and plan for next year.

We can agree to disagree.

Comment

We can agree to disagree.
            What do you disagree on?

Regardless of how much money is coming into IUP men's basketball, they're looking at $4-5k a week just on testing. Most of their schedule is a coach bus less than 250 miles round trip. If they try to make it happen, they're looking at bus trips twice as long.

IUP is also in cost cutting and cost savings mode - and they're taking it on the chin from alumni and students on what those cuts may look like. It could be a futher PR nightmare for IUP if they try to force men's basketball spending while cutting jobs and programs. I've been told by a contact in senior administration at IUP that athletic staff cuts are on the table. No program cuts, just reductions in program staff. Not playing this year could save enough cash to keep an assistant on staff. I think in the long run, that's more important to Lombardi regardless of what he says in the IG. He's making his $179k if they play 30 games or 0 games.

Comment

What do you disagree on?

Regardless of how much money is coming into IUP men's basketball, they're looking at $4-5k a week just on testing. Most of their schedule is a coach bus less than 250 miles round trip. If they try to make it happen, they're looking at bus trips twice as long.

IUP is also in cost cutting and cost savings mode - and they're taking it on the chin from alumni and students on what those cuts may look like. It could be a futher PR nightmare for IUP if they try to force men's basketball spending while cutting jobs and programs. I've been told by a contact in senior administration at IUP that athletic staff cuts are on the table. No program cuts, just reductions in program staff. Not playing this year could save enough cash to keep an assistant on staff. I think in the long run, that's more important to Lombardi regardless of what he says in the IG. He's making his $179k if they play 30 games or 0 games.
              We're jumping pretty far ahead in hypotheticals. As of now, the PSAC is planning to play basketball (minus the walk-ons).

Comment

What do you disagree on?

This is sort of outside my realm - however, I think that on paper the increased testing costs could be offset by the decreased number of trips to games. There is a budget for 2020-21.

In general, I agree with you. Cancel it all and look to the following year.

Comment

• Pres Driz is getting lit on social media.

I don't know how much longer his tenure will last.

Comment

Pres Driz is getting lit on social media.

I don't know how much longer his tenure will last.
                    He's learning what the presidents at other schools learned the hard way: don't fvck with APSCUF or you get fvcked with.

Comment

He's learning what the presidents at other schools learned the hard way: don't fvck with APSCUF or you get fvcked with.
                      Lol ... they about to go Jimmy Hoffa on is behind.

Comment

Lol ... they about to go Jimmy Hoffa on is behind.
                        Does that mean that he will get buried in the end zone down at The Dump? LOL

Probably the only way I can see the PSAC/Atlantic having a hoops season is to do the bubble thing. Pick several places that are accomodating enough to hold a number of teams and seal them off for a long weekend or so and each team plays a game every day for three or four days. Lots of testing and nobody gets into said bubble with a positive test.

Comment

• Breaking story from WCCS:

Indiana Borough Police announced today that a third suspect has been apprehended in the fatal shooting on October 17th in Indiana Borough.

Police say that 20-year old Isaiah Moore of Philadelphia was apprehended by state police in Philadelphia and was transferred back to Indiana on Sunday. He was arraigned yesterday on charges of criminal homicide, robbery to inflict serious bodily injury, conspiracy to both of those crimes, and misdemeanor theft by unlawful taking. He is being held in Indiana County Jail without bail and will have a preliminary hearing on November 2nd at 10:00 AM in front of District Judge Christopher Welch.

Moore was one of four suspects in the shooting of Jaedyn Wright on October 17th in a parking lot at the Carriage House apartments on Oakland Avenue. Police believe that Moore, along with 17-year-old Isabella Edmonds of Indiana, 21-year-old Delmar Chatman of Johnstown and 18-year-old Terrion Gates, also of Johnstown, conspired to acquire a quantity of marijuana from Wright with the encounter leading to the shooting. The four fled on foot after the shooting.

Chatman and Edmonds are already in custody and both face charges of criminal homicide and robbery-inflicting serious injury. Edmonds also faces two other conspiracy charges, while Chatman also faces a charge of theft by unlawful taking. Gates remains at large.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post

Does that mean that he will get buried in the end zone down at The Dump? LOL

Probably the only way I can see the PSAC/Atlantic having a hoops season is to do the bubble thing. Pick several places that are accommodating enough to hold a number of teams and seal them off for a long weekend or so and each team plays a game every day for three or four days. Lots of testing and nobody gets into said bubble with a positive test.

The entire bench area (players, trainers, coaches, etc.) has to get tested 3 times per week. That cost ranges from $33 per to $44 per (from what I've been told).

For purposes of simple math, say 13 players, 3 coaches, 1 trainer ... so, 17 tests at $40 per ... $680 per round of testing times 3 times a week ... $2,040/week. Obviously, that tab is going to get expensive real fast.

The PSAC, from my understanding, needs at least 6 schools to play basketball in order to qualify for the NCAA postseason.

So, which 6 could probably swing this (and, want to do it)? Just a guess but I'd say IUP, Gannon and Mercyhurst for sure. I could see UPJ and Seton Hill electing to play. Possibly California or Slippery Rock. I don't have a good feel on the finances of the East schools.

I'm holding out hope there could be 'some' level of PSAC basketball. We already know West Chester is out. Several programs right off the top aren't coming up with the funds ... Clarion, Mansfield, etc. The decision will need made fairly soon.

Comment

• https://twitter.com/Coach_MSnyder/st...20750606049280

Comment

• He's getting jacked up. Looks 15 lbs of muscle heavier than last year

That guy is going to be a terror to deal with in the coming years.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X