Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post
    One thing about Matt's recent article about IUP football that I do not quite get after giving things some thought is what Tort said about how program coffers saved some $27,000 by not having to travel to overnighters this fall to places like Gannon, Shepherd, and Kutztown. Well, those places are really not that far. Why can't the team just leave early in the morning of the day of the game and get to the opposing stadium with plenty of time for guys to get their legs, take a power nap or get some nutrition. I don't quite follow why you would need to stay overnight for these places.

Okay, I get it that it is not ideal to have your players sitting on a bus for a four or five hour bus ride----but it really wouldn't be that hard to work the logistics to avoid all of the superfluous expenses.

Comment

• Lol. Three hours by bus.

They don't want a noon kick with a 3-hour ride. Staying up there is a nice advantage if you can afford it.

You gotta be ready for the Lit Squad. They drop the boom and all that other crap.

#LIT-AF

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Lol. Three hours by bus.

They don't want a noon kick with a 3-hour ride. Staying up there is a nice advantage if you can afford it.

You gotta be ready for the Lit Squad. They drop the boom and all that other crap.

#LIT-AF
        The noon kickoff time would be the sticky wicket regarding my plan to save the IUP football program on travel expenses by a one-day two way travel. That would make it real tough.

Comment

Lol. Three hours by bus.

#LIT-AF

Comment

• Or move back the friggin kickoff times so they can make it a day trip.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

Or move back the friggin kickoff times so they can make it a day trip.
              Yes. Night games are popular and are an event. It would bring the university populace out much more. Even the four o'clock kick times bring much more energy and life to a stadium.

Comment

They prefer noon. Smaller crowds. Lol.

Comment

Yes. Night games are popular and are an event. It would bring the university populace out much more. Even the four o'clock kick times bring much more energy and life to a stadium.
                  I'm thrilled IUP spent who knows how much coin on brand new stadium lights last year.

They come in handy for that once a decade night game.

Comment

I'm thrilled IUP spent who knows how much coin on brand new stadium lights last year.

They come in handy for that once a decade night game.
                    LOL. That's about the truth of it. The really sad part is that just about every time that they hold a night game it is a very memorable event.

2006- IUP came up just short against Rock in quite a clash on a cold November night.

2011- Incredible energy in Miller as Curt Cignetti showed that IUP football was indeed back against Bloom (although they did lose).

2015- IUP downs Cal on a frigid October evening. Forum historians also pointed to this game where Homer got showed up by Lenny and began a years long cyber campaign against him LOL.

2017- IUP beat a quality Ashland team. Damon Lloyd's crunching hit on the QB that turned the game around and Sarka's long FG at the gun from the KCAC lot.

You just can't beat the night games. Why IUP does anything at all that they do----well, I have given up even trying to figure that one out.

Comment

LOL. That's about the truth of it. The really sad part is that just about every time that they hold a night game it is a very memorable event.

2006- IUP came up just short against Rock in quite a clash on a cold November night.

2011- Incredible energy in Miller as Curt Cignetti showed that IUP football was indeed back against Bloom (although they did lose).

2015- IUP downs Cal on a frigid October evening. Forum historians also pointed to this game where Homer got showed up by Lenny and began a years long cyber campaign against him LOL.

2017- IUP beat a quality Ashland team. Damon Lloyd's crunching hit on the QB that turned the game around and Sarka's long FG at the gun from the KCAC lot.

You just can't beat the night games. Why IUP does anything at all that they do----well, I have given up even trying to figure that one out.

The 2015 game you mention was a terrific game and atmosphere. It appeared Cal was going to steal it at the end until IUP had a huge interception right around the 1-yard line. That was a cold one.

The Ashland game was one of my favorites in 30-some years. The forgotten hero of that game was John McDonald-Horner. Recall Ashland had driven to put the game away with a relatively short FG. McDonald-Horner blocked it. Lenny then got them up the field enough for the famous kick. History shows he hit it from 47 yards. It would have been good from probably 55 yards.

My absolute favorite night game ever at Miller (and favorite game all-time) was the 2000 win over Slippery Rock. I have no idea what the announced attendance was but that was the largest crowd I've ever seen there. It was in the peak of the Frank vs. Dr. Evil era. McKavish. Amir Dew. Eyerman. The somewhat unlikely hero that night was Tink Stennett. He broke away for a long run in the fourth quarter to put the game away. It was the loudest I've ever heard Miller. That was also the first meeting after the infamous 'Rock Dance' in the playoffs the year prior.

As for the 'why' they don't play more night games ... no idea. We've heard all the theories, stories and excuses. I can promise you this, though: Tell Joe Lombardi he's going to play Saturday afternoon instead of the coveted KCAC Saturday night. Let me know what he says. LOL. Of course, Joe may be the most powerful person on that campus.

Comment

Do either of the Erie Catholic Schools have lights installed at their fields?

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

Do either of the Erie Catholic Schools have lights installed at their fields?
                          Both. I think the only PSAC stadium without lights is Shepherd.

Comment

• It's always been my understanding the home team dictates the start time. So, why the thrilling IUP vs Seton Hill game (schools are 30 minutes apart) has to start at Noon ... I will never understand.

I'd love to see IUP play one Thursday night game and one Saturday night game per season. Thursday night just has its own atmosphere. The students are all on campus. A lot of them come to the game for at least the first half. They are excited because they are going out afterward. Saturday at noon is just hangover city for half the campus -- and, the result is the typical Miller Stadium crowd that acts hungover.

IUP has finally allowed tailgating (for a discounted price of just $65 per spot). Who wants to tailgate at 9 a.m.? I know tons of people do it ... but a 3 p.m. kick is much better.

On the tailgate topic, IUP does need to go Happy Valley on it a bit. Issue last year was people got rolling out there and never came in to the game. PSU bans tailgating once the game kicks off.

I'll never forget the SRU Homecoming game a couple years ago. IUP came out CHOKE CITY in the first half. It was ugly and it seemed SRU was going to go all 1999 on them. Then the weather delay hit for almost two hours. The whole crowd left and went tailgating -- and never came back in. IUP had a furious comeback and nearly (should have) won the game. Not joking in the second half there was about 15 people on the IUP side of Miller -- and about 2,000 in the parking lot.

Noon is just the worst time slot. It's why the trash games of D1 kick at Noon. Too much competition for the families -- soccer, etc. Hate to say IUP students aren't rolling out of bed 'that early' ... but, they aren't rolling out of bed that early. I know the 'bingo crowd' loves that Noon kick and all but hopefully it someday changes. IUP football games feel like high school games. IUP basketball games feel like events in primetime. The difference between the two is astronomical.

Comment

• I like college football games on Saturday afternoon. Maybe not 12pm start but 1, 130, or 2 is good for me. Don't know why, I just do. I guess I'm just used to it.

Comment

• Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post
                                I like college football games on Saturday afternoon. Maybe not 12pm start but 1, 130, or 2 is good for me. Don't know why, I just do. I guess I'm just used to it.
                                Slippery Rock largely went to the 3 p.m. or 4 p.m. time slots over the past 5 years -- especially in SEPT and OCT. They also usually play at least one night game.

Something they are doing up there, crowd-wise, is working. No denying. They are crushing attendance and game-day atmosphere.

IUP, overall, has improved over the past 2-3 years. But, ... still a long way to go.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X