X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

What if its Duane Brown?
    He's good from what I'm told.

But, as the Warden said in Shawshank ... Exceptions can be made. LOL.

Comment

• while the PSAC is afraid of the PA gov. and will buckle at his whim, teams and schools (at least the private schools) want to play. Schools are scheduling scrimmages and plans are in place for an extended Spring season (more practices, scrimmages, etc). Also, some PSAC schools are still participating in non-conf. games in other sports. Some AD's and Presidents simply won't stand for another cancelled season, they may look to go elsewhere on a short-term or perm. basis. A lot has been learned how to play games and conduct practices under the current health crisis, the PSAC leaders have hopefully learned something from this which will allow the students the opportunity to play.

Comment

• Originally posted by playersdad View Post
        while the PSAC is afraid of the PA gov. and will buckle at his whim, teams and schools (at least the private schools) want to play. Schools are scheduling scrimmages and plans are in place for an extended Spring season (more practices, scrimmages, etc). Also, some PSAC schools are still participating in non-conf. games in other sports. Some AD's and Presidents simply won't stand for another cancelled season, they may look to go elsewhere on a short-term or perm. basis. A lot has been learned how to play games and conduct practices under the current health crisis, the PSAC leaders have hopefully learned something from this which will allow the students the opportunity to play.
        I thought they got ultra-conservative in their decision making. We saw throughout the country that sports were possible. Not only possible, but many thrived.

I have no idea -- none -- why the PSAC isn't playing basketball right now. A couple are -- or, at least, trying to play (Clarion, Gannon and Mercyhurst). To cancel the season was a travesty. I think a large part of it was they knew they wouldn't be able to have fans in the stands -- and that takes a huge chunk of revenue away. We needed 6 schools to play (that's it) and only 4 allegedly voted to play. I have no idea why IUP, which voted to play, then elected to decline playing as an Independent. The MEC is playing (our neighbor conference in WV and OH). The conference has lost some quality players over it already. Cal lost two of its top recruits. They bailed and went to Fairmont State.

Personally, I'm fine with just a normal Spring football season for IUP. They don't need to play any meaningless games and risk injuries for the actual Fall season. Tort said the same thing himself a few weeks back in the Gazette. He wasn't risking his stars to knee injuries, etc., in a couple glorified exhibitions. But, they better have Spring Ball. These kids can't be going dang-near 2 years without playing. We won't have much of a league left if that's the case. They'll all transfer out.

Comment

• Originally posted by playersdad View Post
          while the PSAC is afraid of the PA gov. and will buckle at his whim, teams and schools (at least the private schools) want to play. Schools are scheduling scrimmages and plans are in place for an extended Spring season (more practices, scrimmages, etc). Also, some PSAC schools are still participating in non-conf. games in other sports. Some AD's and Presidents simply won't stand for another cancelled season, they may look to go elsewhere on a short-term or perm. basis. A lot has been learned how to play games and conduct practices under the current health crisis, the PSAC leaders have hopefully learned something from this which will allow the students the opportunity to play.
          It seems like you might be confused about governance. Nearly all of the PSAC are schools *owned* by the state. Not funded by the state like Pitt or Penn State or even the local high school. The private schools (and UPJ) could do whatever they wanted within the conference rules. If I'm wrong, my apologies.

The state has within the last few months granted some permission to the state-owned (PASSHE) schools to dictate practices, workouts, etc. I will tell you that I've heard that if Gannon or Mercyhurst or Seton Hill want to bounce for another conference, there won't be much of a fight.

Comment

It seems like you might be confused about governance. Nearly all of the PSAC are schools *owned* by the state. Not funded by the state like Pitt or Penn State or even the local high school. The private schools (and UPJ) could do whatever they wanted within the conference rules. If I'm wrong, my apologies.

The state has within the last few months granted some permission to the state-owned (PASSHE) schools to dictate practices, workouts, etc. I will tell you that I've heard that if Gannon or Mercyhurst or Seton Hill want to bounce for another conference, there won't be much of a fight.
            Clarion did play its first basketball game over the weekend. Blown out, of course, but nonetheless. They are the only 'state school' to play a game.

I wonder how much longer Seton Hill will stick around. They are a perfect fit as a D3 private and even have a perfect conference to join in Western PA. The sample size down in Greensburg isn't that small anymore. If anything, they've got worse in the past five years in football and men's basketball. They've already complained off the record they can't get the same types of students that us lowly state schools can get admitted.

Tark the Shark had some decent basketball teams there several years ago. Football there ... competing in the PSAC is a lost cause. It's a nice school. Neat campus. Athletically -- at least in the revenue sports -- they aren't going to compete in the West. When they have got a few good football players lately they've all left early. IUP and SRU both took a RB from them. Their top WR a couple years ago moved up.

UPJ is kind of an odd fit, too. They at least have a very competitive men's basketball program.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Clarion did play its first basketball game over the weekend. Blown out, of course, but nonetheless. They are the only 'state school' to play a game.

I wonder how much longer Seton Hill will stick around. They are a perfect fit as a D3 private and even have a perfect conference to join in Western PA. The sample size down in Greensburg isn't that small anymore. If anything, they've got worse in the past five years in football and men's basketball. They've already complained off the record they can't get the same types of students that us lowly state schools can get admitted.

Tark the Shark had some decent basketball teams there several years ago. Football there ... competing in the PSAC is a lost cause. It's a nice school. Neat campus. Athletically -- at least in the revenue sports -- they aren't going to compete in the West. When they have got a few good football players lately they've all left early. IUP and SRU both took a RB from them. Their top WR a couple years ago moved up.

UPJ is kind of an odd fit, too. They at least have a very competitive men's basketball program.
              Specific to SHU, its a marketing ploy to aid male enrollment. That's all its ever been. By joining the PSAC, they can market that you'll watch the Griffons play your old HS classmates currently playing at Cal, Slippery Rock, IUP, etc. For UPJ, its somewhat similar motivation but they're more competitive.

One person intimate with PSAC politics told me: "If you aggressively pursue someone to date for years and they finally give in, you can't immediately start complaining about the relationship."

Comment

Specific to SHU, its a marketing ploy to aid male enrollment. That's all its ever been. By joining the PSAC, they can market that you'll watch the Griffons play your old HS classmates currently playing at Cal, Slippery Rock, IUP, etc. For UPJ, its somewhat similar motivation but they're more competitive.

One person intimate with PSAC politics told me: "If you aggressively pursue someone to date for years and they finally give in, you can't immediately start complaining about the relationship."

I think the league itself likes having Seton Hill. It's a close road trip for several teams. You hate to call it a bye week in football, but, ... it's pretty much a bye week.

I'm not a fan of their basketball program. IUP is like 25-1 against them but there have been some heated moments as you may recall. Their basketball gym would be a bad high school facility -- and it's awful for a D2 league. Joe once said it's like playing at Indiana High School.

They are pretty good in the non-revenue sports and fairly good in women's basketball. I don't think the PSAC would ever boot them. If anything, perhaps they'd leave on their own.

Comment

I think the league itself likes having Seton Hill. It's a close road trip for several teams. You hate to call it a bye week in football, but, ... it's pretty much a bye week.

I'm not a fan of their basketball program. IUP is like 25-1 against them but there have been some heated moments as you may recall. Their basketball gym would be a bad high school facility -- and it's awful for a D2 league. Joe once said it's like playing at Indiana High School.

They are pretty good in the non-revenue sports and fairly good in women's basketball. I don't think the PSAC would ever boot them. If anything, perhaps they'd leave on their own.
                  I doubt the PSAC boots anyone without some sort of gross impropriety. So highly unlikely.

Comment

• Scratch WR Judah Tomb off the list. He got one D1 offer and he took it. He's heading to Saint Francis.

Luckily that's close to Indiana. After a year in Loretto (reference The Shining) he may want to come to the 'big city' of Indiana.

Comment

• IUP has offered WR/DB Isaiah Houser (Shippensburg High). Not sure if he's related to current IUP RB Adam Houser.

He visited this past weekend.

IUP is also interested in South Fayette QB. No offer yet, however. Good size at 6'5", 200 lbs. Big arm ... little raw.

Comment

Scratch WR Judah Tomb off the list. He got one D1 offer and he took it. He's heading to Saint Francis.

Luckily that's close to Indiana. After a year in Loretto (reference The Shining) he may want to come to the 'big city' of Indiana.
                        You forgot to insert the laugh track here. St. Francis a D-I school. I'm having a hearty Snoopy laugh over that one.

Comment

IUP has offered Vinny Sirianni (Peters Twp.).

DB/RB/LB in high school.
                          Vinny Sirianni is a Crimson Hawk. He went Twitter official this evening.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post

You forgot to insert the laugh track here. St. Francis a D-I school. I'm having a hearty Snoopy laugh over that one.
                            He'll either double down on saying he's a "division 1 athlete" or he'll realize he's a big fish in an empty pond and transfer. He had a long list of suitors to choose from.

Comment

• Final days of the recruiting battle for Warwick QB Joey McCraken. Looks like it's down to IUP, Shippensburg, Kutztown and West Chester.

He visited IUP this past weekend.

6'2", 190 lbs

2x 5A 1st Team All-State

If he was 6"4" instead of 6'2" ... we'd have no shot at him.

Comment

Final days of the recruiting battle for Warwick QB Joey McCraken. Looks like it's down to IUP, Shippensburg, Kutztown and West Chester.

He visited IUP this past weekend.

6'2", 190 lbs

2x 5A 1st Team All-State

If he was 6"4" instead of 6'2" ... we'd have no shot at him.
                                Crazy that 6-2 is now considered not tall enough.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X