Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm a little skeptical of this class.

Comment

• As you and I had discussed off the board, I was a little skeptical coming in to Signing Day (based on what we knew from the Twitter world).

They definitely missed a couple targets they went after this year.

We lost out on two offered WRs (Shippensburg and SRU).

The first QB we offered went to Maine ... so not much you can do there. The second QB went to East Stroudsburg. As I said earlier, I think they had a very tough job to sell a QB in this class. Ramart has two years left and Davis has three years left. Of course, many of us believe one of them may be gone by Fall camp. I find this Krug kid interesting. He's a lefty with a big arm. He's only about 6' or so but can also run well. The question (as Tort hinted at in the paper today) was he played at a small school against small school competition. But, unless there's a debacle this Fall, he won't be needed for a couple years. He could be a diamond. Cal went after him, too.

I really liked the two lineman they signed. On film those guys are just big and nasty. Once IUP gets them bulked up some, they could be a tremendous force.

They wanted a big, physical RB and, well, they don't come much bigger or faster than the one they got. He was a home run signing. I know they are calling him an RB, but he has upside all over the field. He was all-conference TE as a junior and all-conference RB as a senior. And, he played QB and WR. They can do a lot of things with this guy. Got me thinking about a big back ... have you seen Houser lately? Looks like He-Man.

Darius Bruce, the late signing yesterday, may be the prize of the class. I think he'll play right away.

Bilal is another one they will have many options with ... he's incredibly fast. Same with Houser. Neither is very big in stature but they can turn on the burners.

I don't what the plan is with Sirianni ... whether they keep him in a crowded RB room or moving him to safety. Maybe they let that work itself out.

The kicker has a big leg on film. He only attempted 3 FGs in his high school career so hard to tell. He hit all three ... maybe they just scored all TDs.

Tort also said today that they will be plugging some needs with the transfer portal this Spring.

Like everybody else from every other team ... I think the class looks pretty good today. Of course, we all say that every year.

Comment

• Both swimming teams improved to 2-0 with blowout wins over Wheeling.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
          As you and I had discussed off the board, I was a little skeptical coming in to Signing Day (based on what we knew from the Twitter world).

They definitely missed a couple targets they went after this year.

We lost out on two offered WRs (Shippensburg and SRU).

The first QB we offered went to Maine ... so not much you can do there. The second QB went to East Stroudsburg. As I said earlier, I think they had a very tough job to sell a QB in this class. Ramart has two years left and Davis has three years left. Of course, many of us believe one of them may be gone by Fall camp. I find this Krug kid interesting. He's a lefty with a big arm. He's only about 6' or so but can also run well. The question (as Tort hinted at in the paper today) was he played at a small school against small school competition. But, unless there's a debacle this Fall, he won't be needed for a couple years. He could be a diamond. Cal went after him, too.

I really liked the two lineman they signed. On film those guys are just big and nasty. Once IUP gets them bulked up some, they could be a tremendous force.

They wanted a big, physical RB and, well, they don't come much bigger or faster than the one they got. He was a home run signing. I know they are calling him an RB, but he has upside all over the field. He was all-conference TE as a junior and all-conference RB as a senior. And, he played QB and WR. They can do a lot of things with this guy. Got me thinking about a big back ... have you seen Houser lately? Looks like He-Man.

Darius Bruce, the late signing yesterday, may be the prize of the class. I think he'll play right away.

Bilal is another one they will have many options with ... he's incredibly fast. Same with Houser. Neither is very big in stature but they can turn on the burners.

I don't what the plan is with Sirianni ... whether they keep him in a crowded RB room or moving him to safety. Maybe they let that work itself out.

The kicker has a big leg on film. He only attempted 3 FGs in his high school career so hard to tell. He hit all three ... maybe they just scored all TDs.

Tort also said today that they will be plugging some needs with the transfer portal this Spring.

Like everybody else from every other team ... I think the class looks pretty good today. Of course, we all say that every year.

With the extra year waiver being offered and used at the D-1 level, you think/believe Coach Tort is probably leaning more on the transfer route for this recruiting class?

Comment

• Originally posted by ShoNuff View Post

With the extra year waiver being offered and used at the D-1 level, you think/believe Coach Tort is probably leaning more on the transfer route for this recruiting class?
            I suspect they bring in 4-7 transfers prior to Fall camp starting. Some could already be here and not announced.

Hard to say for sure until we see who decided to stay and who decided to get on with life.

Another factor is the green neighbor is getting really good at finding impact transfers. Two losses in a row doesn't make our 'emotional' fan base real happy.

But, the belief is the portal will be flooded. It's a tricky situation with the money available.

I just sure hope they elect to have a season.

Comment

• So at this point what does the running back roster look like with the addition of the Big Rig from McKeesport supposing they use him at RB. As we will know, past history dictates at least two dominate RBs backed by a couple capable depth guys in the rotation because these guys take a beating and IUP offense will continue to be run/pass balanced as much as possible.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPMonk View Post
                So at this point what does the running back roster look like with the addition of the Big Rig from McKeesport supposing they use him at RB. As we will know, past history dictates at least two dominate RBs backed by a couple capable depth guys in the rotation because these guys take a beating and IUP offense will continue to be run/pass balanced as much as possible.
                You should get the "Big Rig" on a t-shirt and sell it outside of the Tool Shed on Flemming Street. If he's as advertised, I suggest it will be a big seller.

Comment

• I think predicting rosters for the fall is going to be extra difficult. Sure everyone got an extra year of eligibility but things change. Still lots of time for Player A's mom to tell him to get a big boy job and lots of time for Player B to get kicked off the team or Player C to bomb academically. That's not just IUP that's everyone. Our schools recruit a ton of kids from lower income communities and if football isn't happening in the fall those rosters might look different.

Remind me - what happened to Duane Brown? He's not on the roster. Taking a semester off?

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
                    I think predicting rosters for the fall is going to be extra difficult. Sure everyone got an extra year of eligibility but things change. Still lots of time for Player A's mom to tell him to get a big boy job and lots of time for Player B to get kicked off the team or Player C to bomb academically. That's not just IUP that's everyone. Our schools recruit a ton of kids from lower income communities and if football isn't happening in the fall those rosters might look different.

Remind me - what happened to Duane Brown? He's not on the roster. Taking a semester off?
                    Duane is fine. He'll be here in the Fall (he's here now). Confirmed he is returning to the roster.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
                      I think predicting rosters for the fall is going to be extra difficult. Sure everyone got an extra year of eligibility but things change. Still lots of time for Player A's mom to tell him to get a big boy job and lots of time for Player B to get kicked off the team or Player C to bomb academically. That's not just IUP that's everyone. Our schools recruit a ton of kids from lower income communities and if football isn't happening in the fall those rosters might look different.

I don't feel warm and fuzzy yet about a Fall season. If the testing requirements remain the same ... just not sure the money will be there to accommodate an entire football program at this level. With coaches, players and support staff ... we're talking, what, 100-some tests per round (3x per week)? That adds up real quick.

I just have a feeling they will take the same route as basketball and put it up to a vote. Only a few PSAC schools could probably swing the football testing. I just have a hunch we'll see some teams play (some form of an independent schedule) and many not.

Comment

Duane is fine. He'll be here in the Fall (he's here now). Confirmed he is returning to the roster.
                        Irv Charles is still the wild card. No mention of him anywhere. I'm assuming he's gone.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

Irv Charles is still the wild card. No mention of him anywhere. I'm assuming he's gone.

What if ADP was slinging deep balls to Irv come October on a grassy knoll?
                          Last edited by IUPbigINDIANS; 02-08-2021, 11:44 AM.

Comment

What if ADP was slinging deep balls to Irv come October on a grass knoll?
                            I'd say that there would have to be a second passer then. My candidate for Mr. Big would be Hankins or Wilkerson. Or I suppose maybe even $tockett but in that case there would at least be a money trail.

Comment

• Looked up last year's recruiting class (because I basically forgot who was even in it).

Tort had a good class last year. Hopefully most of them stick around. I assume there will be a casualty or two.

Going back a year prior that class had many redshirt as true freshman (in 2019). Wild to think they'll be academic juniors (hopefully) but redshirt freshmen football players.

Those first couple days of practice should be interesting.

Comment

Looked up last year's recruiting class (because I basically forgot who was even in it).

Tort had a good class last year. Hopefully most of them stick around. I assume there will be a casualty or two.

Going back a year prior that class had many redshirt as true freshman (in 2019). Wild to think they'll be academic juniors (hopefully) but redshirt freshmen football players.

Those first couple days of practice should be interesting.
                                They better have names on their backs. It's been so long I can't remember half of them. hahahaha

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X