Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

They better have names on their backs. It's been so long I can't remember half of them. hahahaha
    That's about the truth there. Other than Touchdown Brown and hearing IUPBigIndians mention Davis and Ramart I honestly don't think that I can recall any names at all. It's been quite a long time.

Wonder if the IUP teams will have problems in getting fans back? Folks tend to move on sometimes. Or maybe it will be as if nothing happened.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post

That's about the truth there. Other than Touchdown Brown and hearing IUPBigIndians mention Davis and Ramart I honestly don't think that I can recall any names at all. It's been quite a long time.

Wonder if the IUP teams will have problems in getting fans back? Folks tend to move on sometimes. Or maybe it will be as if nothing happened.
      I don't think. Football and basketball here are oddly somewhat different crowds.

Joe was becoming the hottest ticket in town last year. They had a 6-game stretch with 3,000+ ... that's nuts at the D2 level. His whole team, which was No. 4 in this year's preseason poll, is back next year. The men's team has really built up a following. They got 3,700 on a freaking Wednesday night last year. That's like 4 football games at some schools.

I worry a bit more about football. That's a much older crowd than basketball. Perhaps it's because Joe only plays in primetime and football plays during brunch. That core football crowd gets older by the year.

Beating a dead horse but if they ever want rocking football games ... get off the noon train. Hell, let's go for a few steps above funeral parlor and then we'll get to rocking.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

I don't think. Football and basketball here are oddly somewhat different crowds.

Joe was becoming the hottest ticket in town last year. They had a 6-game stretch with 3,000+ ... that's nuts at the D2 level. His whole team, which was No. 4 in this year's preseason poll, is back next year. The men's team has really built up a following. They got 3,700 on a freaking Wednesday night last year. That's like 4 football games at some schools.

I worry a bit more about football. That's a much older crowd than basketball. Perhaps it's because Joe only plays in primetime and football plays during brunch. That core football crowd gets older by the year.

Beating a dead horse but if they ever want rocking football games ... get off the noon train. Hell, let's go for a few steps above funeral parlor and then we'll get to rocking.
        Winning championships will fix that. We need a sugar daddy to write foosball a check so we can just outspend everyone like Northwest Misery and Grand Valley did for years.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

Winning championships will fix that. We need a sugar daddy to write foosball a check so we can just outspend everyone like Northwest Misery and Grand Valley did for years.
          Well ... we have Mr. Youtube.

He'd be the best candidate for that type of coin.

Comment

Maybe a major stadium renovation...but his IUP experience was defined by running track, so Miller 2.0 might have a track. That would be alright if the stadium looked like many of the other top stadiums with tracks.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

Maybe a major stadium renovation...but his IUP experience was defined by running track, so Miller 2.0 might have a track. That would be alright if the stadium looked like many of the other top stadiums with tracks.
              I don't know. They've had so much success even with crappy football facilities. I'd put it in the scholarship fund. Get maxed. Miller is what is. The power of that program going from 23 scholarships to 35 could be tremendous. Replace the horrendous prison-style, chain-link perimeter fence with something nice. That's a big start. Other than that you're getting in to total renovations/rebuild. I'd actually put money first in to a fancy locker room and training facility.

The home side needs blown up. Total start over. The restrooms underneath the home side were last updated in probably 1975. The pressbox is well-documented -- and Lord knows how they get past any code inspectors. As we know they aren't building a football version of the KCAC anytime soon. A project they could do is the back of the home side bleachers. It's a mess back there and looks terrible. They use it as storage - track crap everywhere, chipped paint all over. That gives the stadium an instant bad look from the parking lot.

Many have complained in the past but the concrete wall between Miller and the Field House looks like it got bombed. Awful. That's a relatively quick fix for a HIGHLY visible area.

Unfortunately, I think they let some of this stuff go for so long that it's nearing a total overhaul. Minus our version of a T. Boone Pickens (Hurley) ... that overhaul isn't happening any time soon.

Comment

I don't know. They've had so much success even with crappy football facilities. I'd put it in the scholarship fund. Get maxed. Miller is what is. The power of that program going from 23 scholarships to 35 could be tremendous. Replace the horrendous prison-style, chain-link perimeter fence with something nice. That's a big start. Other than that you're getting in to total renovations/rebuild. I'd actually put money first in to a fancy locker room and training facility.

The home side needs blown up. Total start over. The restrooms underneath the home side were last updated in probably 1975. The pressbox is well-documented -- and Lord knows how they get past any code inspectors. As we know they aren't building a football version of the KCAC anytime soon. A project they could do is the back of the home side bleachers. It's a mess back there and looks terrible. They use it as storage - track crap everywhere, chipped paint all over. That gives the stadium an instant bad look from the parking lot.

Many have complained in the past but the concrete wall between Miller and the Field House looks like it got bombed. Awful. That's a relatively quick fix for a HIGHLY visible area.

Unfortunately, I think they let some of this stuff go for so long that it's nearing a total overhaul. Minus our version of a T. Boone Pickens (Hurley) ... that overhaul isn't happening any time soon.
                Maybe do a two-fer of the new locker room and weight room under a new home side? I still think if they build a new stadium it should be shared with the fairgrounds. That's a big grandstand across the street that sits there most of the year.

Comment

Comment

• From wikipedia, seems he is into "football" but not necessarily football.

Hurley has made several investments. He is a part-owner of the NBA's Golden State Warriors and the MLS' Los Angeles Football Club.[14]
                    On the 25th January 2021 Hurley announced on Twitter that he had become an investor at Leeds United, the English Premier League Football Club.[15][16]

Comment

• Never know until you ask. Unfortunately, we do have a track inside Miller Stadium so who knows. Maybe that hated track could be a blessing. People with that kind of coin love having stuff named after them.

He could certainly be the 'whale' donor every program dreams about having -- especially at this level.

Comment

• Article from the Tribune-Democrat on new OL:

Comment

• Wow, his dad is Mean Mike Marshall? He was a great player. Sounds like IUP should try and get more former Marines----remember Barry Threats. Marines are a different breed than most of us. I remember talking to a Marine recruiter in high school and he boasted that they did more by 9 AM than most people do all day long. And you consider this a selling point I asked.

But sounds like a good recruit for IUP to get to be honest. And thanks for sharing the story!

Comment

Wow, his dad is Mean Mike Marshall? He was a great player. Sounds like IUP should try and get more former Marines----remember Barry Threats. Marines are a different breed than most of us. I remember talking to a Marine recruiter in high school and he boasted that they did more by 9 AM than most people do all day long. And you consider this a selling point I asked.

But sounds like a good recruit for IUP to get to be honest. And thanks for sharing the story!
                            Yeah his Dad could rip people in half back in the 90s.

Comment

Wow, his dad is Mean Mike Marshall? He was a great player. Sounds like IUP should try and get more former Marines----remember Barry Threats. Marines are a different breed than most of us. I remember talking to a Marine recruiter in high school and he boasted that they did more by 9 AM than most people do all day long. And you consider this a selling point I asked.

I think you do more by 8Am then the Marines do by 9Am. Tort should send a few guys your way to see of they could keep up with you. I bet they'd tap out of chores by noon. Heck, IUP should offer a 3 credit course called "rural choring" and assign the students to you.

Comment

• Long article in the Tribune-Review (Feb. 7)

Here's the first part:

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X