Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

I'd guess LJS is leaving. They already shared that building with A&W (burgers, shakes).

Long John's is good but yeah it would kill ya. Popeye's is equally bad. Lol.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
      Something missing from nearly all of our college towns that you typically see in more prosperous ones is upscale fast food that's typically not franchised and not easily replicated by a local. Things like Starbucks, Chipotle, ChickFilA (they're franchised), etc. These are to college students what Applebee's and Cracker Barrel are to boomers. They also hire young people, pay relatively well, and tend to have some relatively decent benefits for 19 and 20 year olds.

Comment

• May surprise you - I know a CFA franchisee who is openly gay. Makes me wonder if a new generation of the family has taken the lead or if they changed their perspective.

Comment

• Late addition to the class:

Matthew Nelson (Indiana High).

6'3", 275 lbs ... played G, NG and DE at IHS.

No idea if this is a PWO or what.

This kid was a good player on a pretty bad team ... could be a sleeper. Potential to be a 'program guy' and develop over time.

Comment

May surprise you - I know a CFA franchisee who is openly gay. Makes me wonder if a new generation of the family has taken the lead or if they changed their perspective.
            I'm not surprised at all. I had mixed feelings about the boycott on Hate Fil A because I do know many of them are owned by local franchisees and you don't know who they are or what they do or don't support. It would be nice to know if they would publicly advertise they don't support Mr. Cathy's homophobia and financial support of Anti-LGBTQ terror groups...but then they will drive away all the conservative customers who go there specifically because Mr. Cathy supports anti-LGBTQ terror groups.

It's kind of like how people would boycott ExxonMobil by not buying Exxon or Mobil gas when ExxonMobil no longer owns and operates a single gas station in the United States. Every stations flying their brand is owned by another company or individual operator who has a supply contract from a distributor of their gas. So when you boycott buying their brand of gas...the one who feels it the most if the local guy just trying to make a buck. That's how I felt about the Hate Fil A boycott...for all I know the guy who owns the one by me that I can literally walk to might be very supportive of LGBTQ rights. I just don't know that.

Comment

Late addition to the class:

Matthew Nelson (Indiana High).

6'3", 275 lbs ... played G, NG and DE at IHS.

No idea if this is a PWO or what.

This kid was a good player on a pretty bad team ... could be a sleeper. Potential to be a 'program guy' and develop over time.
              It's quite a choice for a local kid to make. I understand why any IHS player would want to go play at a school away from home...you just want to get away and be out on your own.

However, if you stay home and play for IUP...you can get enough money to pay for a chunk of your tuition and not have to worry about covering living costs. You get to play on a top D2 program and you can still go party.

Knowing me..if I grew up in Indiana...I would have been rooting for IUP because they kinda do represent the town too and would have chosen to play for them if I was only good enough to play D2 football. I'm one of those people who always roots for the home team. It's like I could move to Yinzerburgh tomorrow and I'd wear my Philly stuff all day long and still openly hate the Potbellied Snowchickens and be totally indifferent towards the Stillers and Pirates like I am now....I don't think Philly fans have hated the Pirates since the late 70's.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

It's quite a choice for a local kid to make. I understand why any IHS player would want to go play at a school away from home...you just want to get away and be out on your own.

However, if you stay home and play for IUP...you can get enough money to pay for a chunk of your tuition and not have to worry about covering living costs. You get to play on a top D2 program and you can still go party.

Knowing me..if I grew up in Indiana...I would have been rooting for IUP because they kinda do represent the town too and would have chosen to play for them if I was only good enough to play D2 football. I'm one of those people who always roots for the home team. It's like I could move to Yinzerburgh tomorrow and I'd wear my Philly stuff all day long and still openly hate the Potbellied Snowchickens and be totally indifferent towards the Stillers and Pirates like I am now....I don't think Philly fans have hated the Pirates since the late 70's.
                For all the bigger Indiana is it's kind of a strange dynamic living here. The campus is basically its own world. The two sides don't intersect a whole lot.

With the enrollment down and the hotel-like housing on campus now, there are less and less students living outside of that campus direct area. Outside of football or basketball games, I don't think many venture over there very often during the school year. There used be a handful of student houses on the 'townie' side of Philly, but they are pretty much all gone now - turned back in to residential housing by the flippers. The slumlord industry is really hurting right now.

They really wanted 7th Street cleaned up and that's pretty much been accomplished over the past decade. The sewer frat houses are almost all gone. I think two remain but they at least look nice. I don't know where they all relocated but they are spread out now which was the goal. There's basically a small city of apartments behind Regency mall now. A lot of students live up there. It's very secluded from town.

For the most part aside from IUPatties the two sides seem to be at peace most of the year.

Sign of the times is even the once-mighty Lazor Brothers housing empire near campus has cooled off. What were shiny new places in the 90s have become old and out-dated. Several of the larger units have gone up for sale over the past couple years.

It's amazing what the kids call 'dorms' now. They aren't anything like the 14' x 14' prison cells many of us knew. These are palaces compared to the 80s and 90s.

They still can't get a tenant in the Giant Eagle building near campus. That strip of Wayne has probably become the worst part of campus the past couple years in the eyes of the po-po.

Comment

For all the bigger Indiana is it's kind of a strange dynamic living here. The campus is basically its own world. The two sides don't intersect a whole lot.

With the enrollment down and the hotel-like housing on campus now, there are less and less students living outside of that campus direct area. Outside of football or basketball games, I don't think many venture over there very often during the school year. There used be a handful of student houses on the 'townie' side of Philly, but they are pretty much all gone now - turned back in to residential housing by the flippers. The slumlord industry is really hurting right now.

They really wanted 7th Street cleaned up and that's pretty much been accomplished over the past decade. The sewer frat houses are almost all gone. I think two remain but they at least look nice. I don't know where they all relocated but they are spread out now which was the goal. There's basically a small city of apartments behind Regency mall now. A lot of students live up there. It's very secluded from town.

For the most part aside from IUPatties the two sides seem to be at peace most of the year.

Sign of the times is even the once-mighty Lazor Brothers housing empire near campus has cooled off. What were shiny new places in the 90s have become old and out-dated. Several of the larger units have gone up for sale over the past couple years.

It's amazing what the kids call 'dorms' now. They aren't anything like the 14' x 14' prison cells many of us knew. These are palaces compared to the 80s and 90s.

They still can't get a tenant in the Giant Eagle building near campus. That strip of Wayne has probably become the worst part of campus the past couple years in the eyes of the po-po.
                  Surprises me that the Giant Eagle Express didn't take off. The Get Go Markets (similar) do pretty well around Pittsburgh. But I guess if you live off campus you most likely have a car and its easier to just drive to a full store than walk to the little store. You can add on a stop to the Starbucks drive-thru.

For dorms, remember that since its rare that families have more than 2 kids, these kids have never shared a bedroom and in some cases never shared a bathroom. Having to share personal space with a stranger let alone use a community bathroom is a tough sell. Generations of kids are the product of the generation that raised them. The only schools that can get away with this are so attractive students put up with it.

Comment

For dorms, remember that since its rare that families have more than 2 kids, these kids have never shared a bedroom and in some cases never shared a bathroom. Having to share personal space with a stranger let alone use a community bathroom is a tough sell. Generations of kids are the product of the generation that raised them. The only schools that can get away with this are so attractive students put up with it.
                    That's an interesting observation.

I think the dorm situation is a microcosm of American society itself and how it's changed. Forty years ago, when I lived in one of those cinderblock rooms it was perfectly fine. At that age, I didn't need or even want more. And I had had my own room since the age of 8 when my big sister moved out. Then, regardless of your own sense of individuality you just accepted the standard issue. You were content with it

Typically, you ate food at mealtimes. Maybe you had a small snack throughout the day. Today, you eat food whenever you want. We have become a fat society. I mean that literally and figuratively.

Comment

Surprises me that the Giant Eagle Express didn't take off. The Get Go Markets (similar) do pretty well around Pittsburgh. But I guess if you live off campus you most likely have a car and its easier to just drive to a full store than walk to the little store. You can add on a stop to the Starbucks drive-thru.

That Giant Eagle Express Market that was basically on campus was extremely nice. It was one of two prototype stores. The 'backfire' was it was too nice for its location.

That used to be a regular Giant Eagle and then they basically completely renovated it. The building is very nice. They've been trying to lease it to a new customer now for about 3-4 years. They want about $28,000/month for it -- which explains why it's still sitting there vacant. It would be a prime spot for a Buffalo Wild Wings or something along those lines. When it moved in there and got an alcohol license, it killed the campus-favorite Uncle Sudzies, which had been a campus beer staple for decades.

Yeah, looking back, those old-school dorms were pretty nuts. But, those were some fun days.

Comment

• Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

That's an interesting observation.

I think the dorm situation is a microcosm of American society itself and how it's changed. Forty years ago, when I lived in one of those cinderblock rooms it was perfectly fine. At that age, I didn't need or even want more. And I had had my own room since the age of 8 when my big sister moved out. Then, regardless of your own sense of individuality you just accepted the standard issue. You were content with it

Typically, you ate food at mealtimes. Maybe you had a small snack throughout the day. Today, you eat food whenever you want. We have become a fat society. I mean that literally and figuratively.
                        I'm with you. I grew up the only son so I looked forward to sharing a room with another guy plus I had that tiny bedroom every 3 BR 1950s house had so size didn't bother me. I too tend to eat meals at common times. I think the only similarity my freshman year 20 years ago had to now was that it was the first year everyone could get cable & high speed internet in their rooms. Wifi wasn't a thing yet but with that Ethernet cable wow could I download music!

Comment

I'm with you. I grew up the only son so I looked forward to sharing a room with another guy plus I had that tiny bedroom every 3 BR 1950s house had so size didn't bother me. I too tend to eat meals at common times. I think the only similarity my freshman year 20 years ago had to now was that it was the first year everyone could get cable & high speed internet in their rooms. Wifi wasn't a thing yet but with that Ethernet cable wow could I download music!
                          Back in the day, we had really expensive stereos and "record albums."

Everybody would congregate in the guy's room who had the best stereo. Dorms then were kind of communal, which would be opening another can of worms.

Comment

• LATE ADDITION

QB Ben Schmidt

Homer-Center High School

6'0, 205 lbs

Big stats in the Heritage Conference.

Comment

LATE ADDITION

QB Ben Schmidt

Homer-Center High School

6'0, 205 lbs

Big stats in the Heritage Conference.
                              I haven't watched any film of him but he is an athlete from everything that I have read about him. He may be in the mold of Mike Pietropola who played a bevy of positions at IUP.

He is interested in majoring in Homeland Security while being enrolled in the ROTC program. He wants to be an officer in one of the combat arms branches of the army. There is the very real possibility that he could end up dead before he is 25.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post
                                There is the very real possibility that he could end up dead before he is 25.
                                Would you say that to his face?
                                http://www.indianagazette.com
                                www.twitter.com/MattBurglund

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X