Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post
    I think the writer could have expressed herself more clearly but I can understand her frustration.

It's not like she's one of these right-wing Roseanna Roseanna Danna's spewing incoherent nonsense like other letters to the editor.
    Well said!

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
      Late addition to the class:

Matthew Nelson (Indiana High).

6'3", 275 lbs ... played G, NG and DE at IHS.

No idea if this is a PWO or what.

This kid was a good player on a pretty bad team ... could be a sleeper. Potential to be a 'program guy' and develop over time.
      His tape not bad ( https://www.hudl.com/video/3/1099520...f9bd0688857096 ). But I would guess this would be a PWO/WO player. IUP is probably saving some scholarships for the Transfer Portal.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post

I haven't watched any film of him but he is an athlete from everything that I have read about him. He may be in the mold of Mike Pietropola who played a bevy of positions at IUP.

He is interested in majoring in Homeland Security while being enrolled in the ROTC program. He wants to be an officer in one of the combat arms branches of the army. There is the very real possibility that he could end up dead before he is 25.
        Watching his film, not all 19 mins of his senior highlights ( https://www.hudl.com/video/3/9774177...50b10818844a1c ), I believe he may play defense and special teams. He is a pretty good athlete.

Comment

For all the bigger Indiana is it's kind of a strange dynamic living here. The campus is basically its own world. The two sides don't intersect a whole lot.

With the enrollment down and the hotel-like housing on campus now, there are less and less students living outside of that campus direct area. Outside of football or basketball games, I don't think many venture over there very often during the school year. There used be a handful of student houses on the 'townie' side of Philly, but they are pretty much all gone now - turned back in to residential housing by the flippers. The slumlord industry is really hurting right now.

They really wanted 7th Street cleaned up and that's pretty much been accomplished over the past decade. The sewer frat houses are almost all gone. I think two remain but they at least look nice. I don't know where they all relocated but they are spread out now which was the goal. There's basically a small city of apartments behind Regency mall now. A lot of students live up there. It's very secluded from town.

For the most part aside from IUPatties the two sides seem to be at peace most of the year.

Sign of the times is even the once-mighty Lazor Brothers housing empire near campus has cooled off. What were shiny new places in the 90s have become old and out-dated. Several of the larger units have gone up for sale over the past couple years.

It's amazing what the kids call 'dorms' now. They aren't anything like the 14' x 14' prison cells many of us knew. These are palaces compared to the 80s and 90s.

They still can't get a tenant in the Giant Eagle building near campus. That strip of Wayne has probably become the worst part of campus the past couple years in the eyes of the po-po.
          The only downside of living on campus if you are 21 is you can't drink. Does anyone still live in Oakland Hall? That was my home from September 1985 to May 1988. I never moved out of my room. They let me keep my stuff in there even when I wasn't taking classes. I did Pre and Main in the summer of 86 and 87 because it was the only way to get done in four years. I so moved in once and moved out once. I had my own room.....and nobody there gave a damn if you had booze.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

The only downside of living on campus if you are 21 is you can't drink. Does anyone still live in Oakland Hall? That was my home from September 1985 to May 1988. I never moved out of my room. They let me keep my stuff in there even when I wasn't taking classes. I did Pre and Main in the summer of 86 and 87 because it was the only way to get done in four years. I so moved in once and moved out once. I had my own room.....and nobody there gave a damn if you had booze.
            IUP has gotta get with the times. 21+ can drink in their rooms at Edinboro

Comment

• Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

That's an interesting observation.

I think the dorm situation is a microcosm of American society itself and how it's changed. Forty years ago, when I lived in one of those cinderblock rooms it was perfectly fine. At that age, I didn't need or even want more. And I had had my own room since the age of 8 when my big sister moved out. Then, regardless of your own sense of individuality you just accepted the standard issue. You were content with it

Typically, you ate food at mealtimes. Maybe you had a small snack throughout the day. Today, you eat food whenever you want. We have become a fat society. I mean that literally and figuratively.
              Esch Hall wasn't bad in the rooms. It and Wallace were the only two dorms on campus where nothing was bolted to the walls so we could configure our rooms to our liking. I had my wardrobe and my dresser set up facing outward and had my bed behind them so I had privacy to sleep and my desk being the third wall. They were only 14 year old buidings when I moved in there in 1984. However...hot water for a shower was always a 50/50 chance.

I never really ate a lot either. I never went to breakfast despite it being part of my meal plan. I never ate breakfast until I was 30. Now I can't function without eating in the morning. It was basically lunch and dinner and that's why I was so thin then. I kept a dorm fridge in my room in Oakland Hall but I never had anything in it. Maybe a few sodas...there wasn't a grocery store over there in the 80's...just Hills and Montgomery Ward in Regency Mall. I wasn't shlepping all the over to the Giant Iggle for anything. There wasn't even a Sheetz on that part of town. Just the Mister Donut in front of Oakland Hall.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

Maybe IUP does...I thought every campus was dry per the orders of the tools in Harrisburg.

Comment

Yikes. This is clearly a bunch of bologna but holy jeez what a load of accusations.

https://www.indianagazette.com/opini...f792828d8.html
                  If I was pursuing an acting career and was going to get a degree...I certainly wouldn't pick a state system school. I mean you go to Carnegie-Mellon for that...

Comment

• Originally posted by ShoNuff View Post

Watching his film, not all 19 mins of his senior highlights ( https://www.hudl.com/video/3/9774177...50b10818844a1c ), I believe he may play defense and special teams. He is a pretty good athlete.
                    Thank you for sharing this. I really enjoyed watching that and did watch the whole thing. I agree that he is a very wonderful athlete. I had read a lot about him over the past several years but never had seen him play. I think that I would parallel him a bit to someone like a Mike Pietropola, who played at a smaller school but his tape bore out that he was special and did have the ability to play the game at a higher level.

Okay, I think that most of us would agree that in terms of the level of competition the local little Heritage is a trash conference. But here and there special athletes do show up from time to time. And of course they get a bad rap or just plain ignored most of the time. I would be curious what his 40 time is? He is a little on the small side from most of the traditional types of QBs that IUP had over the years (some of the athletic running QBs were smaller but very, very fast). I do like his deep ball. He throws that very well. But he probably has a little too much air underneath his throws that may not work for the next level. I didn't see a lot of intermediate throws on the tape. But he is an athlete to be sure.

Where would I project him to play? I'm not exactly sure. Maybe take the Pietropola route and try him at several different ones. Maybe QB. Maybe safety if he has the required speed. Certainly could play special teams I am sure.

One interesting sidenote to the tape for historians of local sports is that the WR he is often throwing to #14 Drew Kochman is the son of former Penns Manor wideout Adam Kochman who has a bit of a famous claim to area grid history by being one part of the pass-catching trio that Matt Gates threw to in 1991 to the tune of a then (and long-lasting) area record of 25 TDs.

Comment

Lol the most fun time to drink was being under 21 in the dorms.

Maybe times have changed but that was the least enforced rule in the dorms in the 90s. Granted, some would get the John Wayne wannabe R.A.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

Esch Hall wasn't bad in the rooms. It and Wallace were the only two dorms on campus where nothing was bolted to the walls so we could configure our rooms to our liking. I had my wardrobe and my dresser set up facing outward and had my bed behind them so I had privacy to sleep and my desk being the third wall. They were only 14 year old buidings when I moved in there in 1984. However...hot water for a shower was always a 50/50 chance.

I never really ate a lot either. I never went to breakfast despite it being part of my meal plan. I never ate breakfast until I was 30. Now I can't function without eating in the morning. It was basically lunch and dinner and that's why I was so thin then. I kept a dorm fridge in my room in Oakland Hall but I never had anything in it. Maybe a few sodas...there wasn't a grocery store over there in the 80's...just Hills and Montgomery Ward in Regency Mall. I wasn't shlepping all the over to the Giant Iggle for anything. There wasn't even a Sheetz on that part of town. Just the Mister Donut in front of Oakland Hall.
                        I'm also an Esch Hall alumni. I was sad seeing the basketball courts come down with the buildings.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post

Thank you for sharing this. I really enjoyed watching that and did watch the whole thing. I agree that he is a very wonderful athlete. I had read a lot about him over the past several years but never had seen him play. I think that I would parallel him a bit to someone like a Mike Pietropola, who played at a smaller school but his tape bore out that he was special and did have the ability to play the game at a higher level.

Okay, I think that most of us would agree that in terms of the level of competition the local little Heritage is a trash conference. But here and there special athletes do show up from time to time. And of course they get a bad rap or just plain ignored most of the time. I would be curious what his 40 time is? He is a little on the small side from most of the traditional types of QBs that IUP had over the years (some of the athletic running QBs were smaller but very, very fast). I do like his deep ball. He throws that very well. But he probably has a little too much air underneath his throws that may not work for the next level. I didn't see a lot of intermediate throws on the tape. But he is an athlete to be sure.

Where would I project him to play? I'm not exactly sure. Maybe take the Pietropola route and try him at several different ones. Maybe QB. Maybe safety if he has the required speed. Certainly could play special teams I am sure.

One interesting sidenote to the tape for historians of local sports is that the WR he is often throwing to #14 Drew Kochman is the son of former Penns Manor wideout Adam Kochman who has a bit of a famous claim to area grid history by being one part of the pass-catching trio that Matt Gates threw to in 1991 to the tune of a then (and long-lasting) area record of 25 TDs.
                          When Ligonier Valley left I'd agree the Hetitage took an even further street cred hit. But, there are some players in there. You just have to find them and develop them. If you have the ability to redshirt players, you may get some results.

It's actually a really fun basketball league. I used to go to a couple games a year at Saltsburg. Oddly, they have quite the little program there. Saltsburg is such a small town and school and yet it somehow produces good teams year after year. When you drive in there you look around for Norman Dale's car.

Comment

When Ligonier Valley left I'd agree the Hetitage took an even further street cred hit. But, there are some players in there. You just have to find them and develop them. If you have the ability to redshirt players, you may get some results.

It's actually a really fun basketball league. I used to go to a couple games a year at Saltsburg. Oddly, they have quite the little program there. Saltsburg is such a small town and school and yet it somehow produces good teams year after year. When you drive in there you look around for Norman Dale's car.
                            Rural PA high school sports is great. Good community support. Agree that it's diamond mining country. These kids don't have the money to spend their summers attending every prospect camp or doing AAU basketball. Lots of inexperienced coaches too. Qualifications usually include talking points like attended the same school and was a PWO QB at Penn State behind Kerry Collins.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShoNuff View Post

It's hard to say but Schmidt looks like a good pickup to me. He's got decent size and he looks pretty quick. He was obviously dominant on that level in HS.

Comment

The biggest problem that I see with the local high school athletes is their lack of elite competition. You just simply do not get that in these parts. Let me give an example of what I mean here. When I was younger I played a lot of summer basketball against local athletes who were quite good for this area. These were guys who were all-county or maybe a few that were all-district and guys who won conference and district titles. They were good ball players to be sure. A few names you may recognize would be Indiana County Judge Tom Bianco, Ligonier Valley coach Roger Beitel, and Penns Manor coach Billy Packer.

Then in the winter I would play on Saturday evenings down at the Memorial Field House if there was no IUP game that night or over at Zink Hall. The competition level was usually really amped up quite a bit. There were a lot of guys who played their high school ball in city league or quad A. Most of them were not overly huge guys but the biggest thing that I noticed about them was that they were much more used to playing MUCH faster and quicker than what the local players offered. It was a BIG difference to be honest. Unless you play in that sort of fast lane of athletic competition it can be very daunting to acclimate yourself to it. Just a completely different game and a different breed of athlete that is produced in it. That is one of the biggest things that local athletes face. Plus, in years past the coaching they received usually was not up to par of what their more urban counterparts would get. I still recall a local football player who came to IUP from Purchase Line some years back and he was baffled at how very little he knew of the game---I guess I didn't know anything he said.

Saltsburg had a lot of lean years on the gridiron before some recent success. Their 1981 and 1991 teams were pretty epic.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X