Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by IUP24 View Post

That would be my guess. Saw an article boasting about SRU's "football culture" and how no player who would have started last year opted to transfer, graduate, or move on with their life's work. They had a very small high school class. The fallout is you miss out on some guys potentially, and it looks like they missed out on quite a big one.

D1 is a little easier to kind of predict because most are on full rides. It will be unique to see how the scholarship variations in the next couple of years will impact what D2 teams are keeping/bringing in. There's the old saying of for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. Seems like each time a team brings in a player now, there will be a corresponding move.
    SRU football does have a sense of brotherhood. I think that's something cultivated by Mihalek and able to be continued by Lutz with his long tenure. Its something I sense Edinboro used to have in the Hollman-Tepper-Browning years with Browning being the cog similar to Lutz. I bet that camaraderie being developed by Mihalek was a big part of his avoidance of transfers. Too many were using D2 to play ball and salvage their pro prospects.

Comment

• Alderson Broaddus is looking for a Week 1 game. There's the cupcake game if IUP wants a tune-up prior to Kutztown and Shepherd.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

SRU football does have a sense of brotherhood. I think that's something cultivated by Mihalek and able to be continued by Lutz with his long tenure. Its something I sense Edinboro used to have in the Hollman-Tepper-Browning years with Browning being the cog similar to Lutz. I bet that camaraderie being developed by Mihalek was a big part of his avoidance of transfers. Too many were using D2 to play ball and salvage their pro prospects.
        I would argue most teams "have a sense of brotherhood."

Comment

Sure I agree - but I'll acknowledge that SRU seems different. It transcends generations - almost in that old school college fraternity sense. If you know anyone who played at Penn State, I'd compare it to the Letterman Club.

Comment

Surprisingly no. Probably a good majority of the successful teams have it to some degree. Or at least they are able to function together. But a lot of teams out there probably have a disconnect with one another and do not get along very well aside from the little cliques that exist within the unit. Look at the Pitt MBB team this year. A lot of friction, jealousy and strife. It happens more than you think.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
              Alderson Broaddus is looking for a Week 1 game. There's the cupcake game if IUP wants a tune-up prior to Kutztown and Shepherd.
              They only play ten games per season now in the regular season. Seems like policy.

Comment

Gary West, and oil & gas investor in Wheeling. He paid for stadium renovations (seating, turf, lights). Their College of Business is named after him. He's buddies with Bob Nutting.
                The amount of money required to renovate/construct a first-class small college stadium can be astronomical. I know a billionaire who built a first-class business purchased by Walmart. He was the stadium benefactor of a D-III program in Texas that gave in excess of $300 million. Intentionally, I am not identifying the donor or the university.

Comment

Sure I agree - but I'll acknowledge that SRU seems different. It transcends generations - almost in that old school college fraternity sense. If you know anyone who played at Penn State, I'd compare it to the Letterman Club.
                  It exists. IUP men's basketball has that culture.

It's actually hard to find.

Comment

• Originally posted by BADinPA View Post

The amount of money required to renovate/construct a first-class small college stadium can be astronomical. I know a billionaire who built a first-class business purchased by Walmart. He was the stadium benefactor of a D-III program in Texas that gave in excess of $300 million. Intentionally, I am not identifying the donor or the university.
                    Fortunately IUP really just needs a high quality home side - completely new structure with a large set of indoor "boxes" for coordinators, media, and the president. I'd put the cost around $10 million give or take with needs. IUP certainly has donors capable of that - it also takes someone who wants that to be their big gift.

Comment

The 'sense of brotherhood' is also much easier to talk about when things are going well. Lutz is no doubt on a great run right now, but he was also just about run out of town after his first season.

For instance, the 2017 and 2018 IUP football teams could not have been more different. The 2017 group rallied around each other at every turn. You could see it on the sidelines (and hear it from the stands). The following year was a night and day different group. The '18 team lost two nail biters and pretty much threw in the towel. The sidelines were dead most of the season. The '18 team was extremely undisciplined on the field.

Every year is a new team. New leaders emerge -- some for the better, some for the worse.

It only takes a couple bad apples to ruin the batch.

On the basketball side, Joe's had one bad team in that regard (17-18). It was still a very good team but drastically underachieved. You should have seen the 'sense of brotherhood' on some of the infamous Gary Edwards' basketball teams of the late 90s and early 00s. They had more internal fights than most NFL training camps. Granted, that was the mercenary era of IUP basketball.

Comment

• I don't doubt what IUP has going for it any given season - I've witnessed some things that show SRU has a football alumni brotherhood that transcends generations similar to Penn State. No idea how but they've got it.

Comment

I don't doubt what IUP has going for it any given season - I've witnessed some things that show SRU has a football alumni brotherhood that transcends generations similar to Penn State. No idea how but they've got it.
                          I understand what you're saying and why you posted what you posted. I just don't believe that was the reason that nobody chose to transfer, or simply move on. Much like how I don't think IUP basketball's "Hawk Family" culture is the reason none of those guys chose to leave the program.

Comment

• Tort bought his needed LB -- and he looks like a solid acquisition. What do we see coming next via the transfer market? I'd sure like to see an impact DL and also another (perhaps grad transfer) DB.

Comment

• For those not in the Twitter world, April 8 is IUP's Day of Giving (athletics).

From the Tweet:

"When people ask me how we continue to have a championship program year after year, my answer is very simple - our generous donors' continued support allows us to compete nationally every season. Being a perennial playoff team comes with a price. ALL IN."

-- Tort

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                                Tort bought his needed LB -- and he looks like a solid acquisition. What do we see coming next via the transfer market? I'd sure like to see an impact DL and also another (perhaps grad transfer) DB.
                                Youngstown St transfer?

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X