Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There are associated costs with playing an 11th game, even if it is at home. The biggest one would be having to back up the start of training camp, which means the football program has to pay the university to house and feed 80-100 players for another week. That's costly. I would imagine most, if not all, PSAC programs have to do this.

If you add an 11th game but don't start your camp a week earlier than you would have before, you're playing with fire. For most teams, more than half the roster will be freshmen who have never played a college game, and so training camp this year takes on an even greater importance.

I would think for most teams, since zero revenue was brought in from ticket sales in 2020, adding expenses isn't something they want to do, which means an 11th game on the road seems like a questionable idea.

Having said that, in 2017 and 2018, IUP played (and beat) a very good Ashland team. In 2017, it helped IUP get the No. 1 playoff seed because they were 11-0 and Shepherd was 10-0. So playing a good team was irrelevant. Just getting the win was the difference. In 2018, because IUP lost to SRU and Cal in the middle of the season, they were not even in the regional rankings at the end of the season, when they mailed it in against Shippensburg. So their win over Ashland that year meant nothing.

TL;DR ... You can't predict the value of an 11th game. And if I'm a coach, this year there are more negatives than positives to playing one.
    http://www.indianagazette.com
    www.twitter.com/MattBurglund

Comment

• Remember tomorrow is the Day of Giving.

Tort needs some transfers. Get those checkbooks out.

Comment

• Why is not playing an 11th game only an issue when it's IUP?

I mean Shepherd played a 10 game schedule year after year...rolled through their cupcake WVIAC/MEC schedule and was always vying for the top seed...and nobody even noticed.

The Home Office In Lock Haven could literally make it a non issue by having a fourth cross over and just be done with it. Why bother dealing with the other conferences in the region?

That's not going to happen though.

I'd like to see IUP develop a rivalry with an OOC school and just make that an annual tradition. IUP-New Haven was always a good game. The games with Ashland worked well too.

Why bring schools into The Cig that the fans don't care about? Could you imagine if they brought in St. Elsewhere from the NE10? It's like why bother.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPNation View Post
          Why is not playing an 11th game only an issue when it's IUP?

I mean Shepherd played a 10 game schedule year after year...rolled through their cupcake WVIAC/MEC schedule and was always vying for the top seed...and nobody even noticed.

The Home Office In Lock Haven could literally make it a non issue by having a fourth cross over and just be done with it. Why bother dealing with the other conferences in the region?

That's not going to happen though.

I'd like to see IUP develop a rivalry with an OOC school and just make that an annual tradition. IUP-New Haven was always a good game. The games with Ashland worked well too.

Why bring schools into The Cig that the fans don't care about? Could you imagine if they brought in St. Elsewhere from the NE10? It's like why bother.
          Fourth crossover solves all the problems -- on the surface anyway. We almost never get 'big time' non-conference games. It's always our powers playing meatballs from other conferences. The IUP vs. Ashland series was one of few exceptions.

One advantage of having 500 schools in our league is you don't need OOC games. Nice? Sometimes. Rarely, actually.

Goodness I remember when IUP talked St. Augustine's in to coming up here. That was a classic over-report on attendance that day. I think they counted every human within 3 blocks of Miller.

Ashland at Miller on a Thursday night? Fantastic. Big-time crowd and atmosphere. Imagine if IUP played more night games? I'm not going down that path again ... please the early bird special crowd. I get it by now.

Frank was famous for playing those big non-con games. That era is gone at this level. Money this. Money that. Is what it is. Seems the simple solution is an extra crossover.

As it is they can play 10 or 11. Tort wants 10 so be it. The haters can kick sand. Some years (like this one upcoming) they don't need SOS help. Other years it has and will backfire. That decision isn't made by us message board hacks.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
            Remember tomorrow is the Day of Giving.

Tort needs some transfers. Get those checkbooks out.
            I just made my donation for Foosball.

Come on people...pony up and lets help IUP take back the Pee Sack and be IUP again.

Comment

Fourth crossover solves all the problems -- on the surface anyway. We almost never get 'big time' non-conference games. It's always our powers playing meatballs from other conferences. The IUP vs. Ashland series was one of few exceptions.

One advantage of having 500 schools in our league is you don't need OOC games. Nice? Sometimes. Rarely, actually.

Goodness I remember when IUP talked St. Augustine's in to coming up here. That was a classic over-report on attendance that day. I think they counted every human within 3 blocks of Miller.

Ashland at Miller on a Thursday night? Fantastic. Big-time crowd and atmosphere. Imagine if IUP played more night games? I'm not going down that path again ... please the early bird special crowd. I get it by now.

Frank was famous for playing those big non-con games. That era is gone at this level. Money this. Money that. Is what it is. Seems the simple solution is an extra crossover.

As it is they can play 10 or 11. Tort wants 10 so be it. The haters can kick sand. Some years (like this one upcoming) they don't need SOS help. Other years it has and will backfire. That decision isn't made by us message board hacks.
              It does solve the problem. It would also help avoid you getting all of the East's bottom feeders in one season that usually kills IUP's SOS. Then each school can get two home and two away cross over games.

Do you think anyone in The Home Office in Lock Haven will figure this out?

Comment

• So far only $3100 raised for IUP Athletics....

Comment

I just made my donation for Foosball.

Come on people...pony up and lets help IUP take back the Pee Sack and be IUP again.
                  I support basketball

Comment

So far only $3100 raised for IUP Athletics....
                    Hopefully $2,500 of it is for baseball :D

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

I support basketball
                      I want a foosball National Title. It makes me want to puke that Slimey Pebble has a temporary advantage over us. That's not right.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

Hopefully $2,500 of it is for baseball :D
                        The web site is not showing the breakdown under athletics...just the total amount donated.

I gave $200 for foosball. I wish I could give a hell of a lot more but I ain't hit the lottery yet.

Comment

The web site is not showing the breakdown under athletics...just the total amount donated.

I gave $200 for foosball. I wish I could give a hell of a lot more but I ain't hit the lottery yet.
                          $200 at one time is difficult. $20 a month is a lot easier to swallow and adds up to $240. Something to consider. That's how I give to Edinboro football.

Comment

• Per today's Indiana Gazette:

* IUP was scheduled to scrimmage St. Francis this Friday but it has been cancelled. Seems IUP has been hit with Covid issues and has 15 players sidelined.

* Drake Puffenbarger is no longer on the team.

* Tort doesn't seem to be giving a glowing endorsement to either QB right now ... at least that's how I'm reading his comments.

Comment

Per today's Indiana Gazette:

* IUP was scheduled to scrimmage St. Francis this Friday but it has been cancelled. Seems IUP has been hit with Covid issues and has 15 players sidelined.

* Drake Puffenbarger is no longer on the team.

* Tort doesn't seem to be giving a glowing endorsement to either QB right now ... at least that's how I'm reading his comments.
                              How could we lost the best name on the team?

Getting everyone vaccinated can't come soon enough. I get my second dose in two weeks.

Comment

• IG article below. I guess losing Puffenbarger makes it more important to pick up a DL transfer, unless they think incoming freshmen are up to the task.

https://www.indianagazette.com/sport...b8387ca00.html

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X