Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post

You're not in the spirit of the forum-----$tockett was money. He actually was a good QB but he did nothing but regress and regress under Curt's tutelege. He was a big arm mobile QB who played like Big Ben. His McKeesport tape bears this out. He did impress greatly with his physical skills in the first spring scrimmage in 2014.Curt seemed to want to restrict him to being a system QB which was not what he was about. He needed freedom to improvise. Think of what happened to Kordell Stewart and how he regressed when the Stillers brought in Ray Sherman as OC to make him a pocket QB. It was not his game and the results were an utter disaster. $tockett started later on at Urbana and did well enough there. He at least had the physical prowess to play the position.

Regarding the WCU game in 2014----it was imperative that Curt give $tockett that opportunity. The other guy had clearly flamed out rather badly and it was quite obvious that IUP had absolutely no future with him. A few things that you are not taking into account are that $tockett faced a top 20 defense in regular mode. Okay, he did not do great but he also did not turn the ball over either which was the trademark of the other guy. IUP remained in the game as a result of that. I believe that a special teams breakdown (PR) broke the game open for a very good Rams team. The other guy came in more in garbage time when WCU was in more prevent and he had that crazy pinball completion that bounced off of an IUP WR and a WCU DB or two before being caught by Salath on the other side of the field. A play or two later was the customary INT and that was when I left, never to come back. I had seen enough. The other guy was clearly not IUP QB material and was only there because of his rich alum father who paid for his spot on the team with a large donation. But hey, look on the bright side----maybe that money helped pay for Lenny's scholarship. The other guy should have played for Lock Haven or Seton Hill. He probably would have done well enough there. It wasn't fair for him to be placed in that situation to begin with.

Well, looking back that was certainly the most heated QB debate I can ever remember at IUP -- certainly on this board. It was messy on a lot of levels. That's probably the easiest way to sum it up 6-7 years later.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Well, looking back that was certainly the most heated QB debate I can ever remember at IUP -- certainly on this board. It was messy on a lot of levels. That's probably the easiest way to sum it up 6-7 years later.
      It was a pretty super-charged issue and oddly the feelings and emotions are still rather raw nearly seven years later. There were a lot of hard feelings over that whole episode. And they still reside. I suppose the whole affair was rendered academic a season later when Lenny came to town and took the QB position back to where it needed to be.

Probably the only other IUP QB debate that I can think of off the top of my head was IIRC Ken Ferguson and Steve Russell. The latter man had been in the IUP system for several years and seemed the heir apparent after Scott Woods left town. But Ferguson was a long tall Texan transfer from Pitt who had an absolute howitzer for an arm. I had no problem with him starting. He did take IUP to the national semifinals in his first year at the helm in 1994.

Comment

It also leaves out the local kid, Logan Weaver - who ended up transferring. to Mercyhurst if I remember, and I think he played briefly against IUP one year. Bottom line was that Hazlett, Weaver and $tockett under performed expectations by quite a bit - but what else were you going to do in 2014 ? The supposed dig on Stockett was the mental game, and I believe he left IUP due to grades anyway. I suppose it might have helped to have him in 2016, when Lenny got hurt. Mike P did OK, but a regular QB might have been better.

Anyway, With any luck, we'll avoid another debate this year.

It's hard to tell since we have only ever seen Davis during mop up time.

Comment

• Originally posted by ironmaniup View Post

It also leaves out the local kid, Logan Weaver - who ended up transferring. to Mercyhurst if I remember, and I think he played briefly against IUP one year. Bottom line was that Hazlett, Weaver and $tockett under performed expectations by quite a bit - but what else were you going to do in 2014 ? The supposed dig on Stockett was the mental game, and I believe he left IUP due to grades anyway. I suppose it might have helped to have him in 2016, when Lenny got hurt. Mike P did OK, but a regular QB might have been better.

Anyway, With any luck, we'll avoid another debate this year.

It's hard to tell since we have only ever seen Davis during mop up time.

Davis got a few snaps a couple years ago. I didn't realize it but he played for the Big Red -- of notorious Steubenville fame. He was younger when all that went down. But, he's had a pretty big (perceived) pedigree since they signed him.

It's actually a pretty interesting QB battle. From what I'm told they both have pretty different skill sets ... meaning the offense would likely get tweaked depending upon whom is taking the snaps.

Unlike other years it doesn't seem like many posters are attending any spring practices so not much information out there on eithers performance.

The appeal to Davis winning the job is, in theory, it would be his for the next (3) years. Of course, Ramart has two years so it's not like he's a one-and-done guy.

Davis is a tremendous athlete -- bigger version of Lenny in many regards. If they are both here in the Fall (I have my doubts) I'd have to think there is room for both of them to play in some capacity.

Comment

Davis got a few snaps a couple years ago. I didn't realize it but he played for the Big Red -- of notorious Steubenville fame. He was younger when all that went down. But, he's had a pretty big (perceived) pedigree since they signed him.

It's actually a pretty interesting QB battle. From what I'm told they both have pretty different skill sets ... meaning the offense would likely get tweaked depending upon whom is taking the snaps.

Unlike other years it doesn't seem like many posters are attending any spring practices so not much information out there on eithers performance.

The appeal to Davis winning the job is, in theory, it would be his for the next (3) years. Of course, Ramart has two years so it's not like he's a one-and-done guy.

Davis is a tremendous athlete -- bigger version of Lenny in many regards. If they are both here in the Fall (I have my doubts) I'd have to think there is room for both of them to play in some capacity.
            Isn't it possible Davis could graduate from IUP next May? This is his 3rd year at IUP, right?

Eligibility could be deceiving after the free year.

Comment

• Indiana High wrapped up a perfect season last night on the ice and won the Penguins' Cup.

Comment

• It appears, boys and girls, we have a late signing.

Nicholas Morrison (Mechanicsburg) signed with IUP late last week. While he played numerous positions in high school, it appears he will be a kicker at IUP.

Comment

• Here's a bummer:

The almighty powerful IUP golf team just had to withdraw from its own tournament due to health and safety protocols.

Comment

Here's a bummer:

The almighty powerful IUP golf team just had to withdraw from its own tournament due to health and safety protocols.
                    Now that stinks!

Comment

• https://youtu.be/z5Pd0iEseps

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Norris View Post
                        The '99 team is certainly one lost to history when talking about IUP's (and Frank's) best teams.

It's the team that still makes you wonder what could have been had they not played that game against (then 1-AA power) Youngstown State in Week 2. IUP lost, 13-7, but more importantly lost its first two QBs for the season. We all know that luckily true freshman Bryan Eyerman was in waiting -- but he was hardly ready at that point. They were certainly planning to redshirt him that year so he likely took very few meaningful snaps in camp.

During his first days as the starter IUP got blown out on Homecoming by Slippery Rock and the following week lost a 10-9 game to Millersville. But, by the end of the season, however, everything had changed. Eyerman grew up very quickly. IUP won at Slippery Rock and then beat Millersville in the playoffs. The loss to NWMS is still such a terrible memory.

That team was so loaded with stars. Amir Dew and Terrance Wilson at RB. Jon Jones at TE. Mike Howard and Carmelo Ocasio at WR. NFL draft pick Leander Jordan at G. Roger Wilson, Quincy Tisdale, James Tindell, Tim Buffone, Joey Flora on D.

Who knows. Hard to say what Randolph or Yohe may have done if healthy. That season had so many highs and lows ... but, it was a very special year.

Only thing I know for sure is YSU is never scheduling IUP again in football. IUP held YSU to like 170 yards offense for the entire game. Wilson and Dew both went over 100 in that game.

We seem to have developed a nice pipeline for YSU transfers as of late so hopefully that continues.

Comment

• The IUP spring game has been moved from Wednesday to Friday.
                          http://www.indianagazette.com
                          www.twitter.com/MattBurglund

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt Burglund View Post
                            The IUP spring game has been moved from Wednesday to Friday.
                            Good call. The idea of a 'Spring Game' doesn't usually involve 39 degree weather, rain and snow.

Side note: Why in the world would you schedule the Spring Game on a Wednesday to begin with ... pretty much promising empty bleachers? Lordy. Some of the stuff that goes on makes you shake your head.

Comment

Side note: Why in the world would you schedule the Spring Game on a Wednesday to begin with ... pretty much promising empty bleachers? Lordy. Some of the stuff that goes on makes you shake your head.
                              http://www.indianagazette.com
                              www.twitter.com/MattBurglund

Comment

• Sounds like it will be kind of an untraditional Spring Game today.

The starting offense will play against the starting defense. The second team will play against the second team. Rather than a 'game' it will be situational ... i.e. this drive starts at the 20-yard line, etc.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X