Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

How do they rank the sports? I assume a title is worth so many points, etc.

Baseball is now 2-31 after getting swept by Clarion. They'll likely lose all four to SRU this weekend to end it and finish at 2-35.

The PSAC Track championships are this week.

The three titles we have so far this year are a great start. I just question how big of an anchor we have on the diamond.
    In normal years, I believe they take a specific number of sports, 13 or 14 sticks in my mind. So, a school can leave some out e.g. IUP Baseball.

I have no idea how they would do it this year with no fall or winter sports seasons. Or, if they will do it.

If they award it just based on sports that had a championship I think IUP would be in a good position.

Ironically, IUP is usually in a good position after fall and winter sports and then gets knocked down with the spring sports. I think Golf is usually a fall sport now, isn't it?

Comment

• Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

In normal years, I believe they take a specific number of sports, 13 or 14 sticks in my mind. So, a school can leave some out e.g. IUP Baseball.

I have no idea how they would do it this year with no fall or winter sports seasons. Or, if they will do it.

If they award it just based on sports that had a championship I think IUP would be in a good position.

Ironically, IUP is usually in a good position after fall and winter sports and then gets knocked down with the spring sports. I think Golf is usually a fall sport now, isn't it?
      I looked it up. It used to be based on each school's top 6 men's and top 6 women's teams but they changed in 2012-13 to make it based on an average of all sports.

https://psacsports.org/sports/2008/7...xontrophy.aspx

Comment

• Dorian Woody ... a name some may recall ... has signed with IUP.

Comment

Dorian Woody ... a name some may recall ... has signed with IUP.
          Transfer from Edinboro. Honestly, surprised that IUP would go for a 5-8 running back unless he is switching spots.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

Transfer from Edinboro. Honestly, surprised that IUP would go for a 5-8 running back unless he is switching spots.
            Seems like an odd signing at first glance -- especially with all the RBs already here.

Looks like he'll have 3 years' eligibility.

Justice Evans is about the same size. He's done quite well. As long as you have a bruiser to go with them they can work well at our level.

Comment

How do they rank the sports? I assume a title is worth so many points, etc.

Baseball is now 2-31 after getting swept by Clarion. They'll likely lose all four to SRU this weekend to end it and finish at 2-35.

The PSAC Track championships are this week.

The three titles we have so far this year are a great start. I just question how big of an anchor we have on the diamond.

Comment

The Rocket was about 5' 8" and he ran wild on the PSAC in 2012 and 2013. If a RB has speed, quickness, and vision he will put up some yards and make an impact.

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt Burglund View Post

Over the years, I've talked with Tom Kennedy, Jeff Ditch, and Rabbi, and not one of them said that. In fact, they talked about the difficulty signing a player when they have little scholarship money to offer him compounded with the fact he usually wants to leave home to see what else is beyond Indiana County.

There's not a coach in America who would ignore an obviously talented player because the player is local and the coach thinks local players can't play. That's like saying "I don't want to win."
                  Matt, I respect your opinion, but I also have people that I've talked to. Players that have played baseball for other PSAC programs and had recruiting conversations with the IUP staff. Players who have played at Cal, SRU, etc. - that I know pretty well - who were told by IUP's staff that they typically don't recruit locally. That's all I can tell you.

Their recruiting philosophy, at least under Ditch, was highly restrictive and selective. Not just in location, but in the specific type of player, size of player, etc., that they were after. When you're Seton Hill or Mercyhurst, I get it. When you're IUP, just find guys who can play and coach/develop those players. Win some games and hope that attracts better players. Certainly easier said than done, I know.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP24 View Post

Matt, I respect your opinion, but I also have people that I've talked to. Players that have played baseball for other PSAC programs and had recruiting conversations with the IUP staff. Players who have played at Cal, SRU, etc. - that I know pretty well - who were told by IUP's staff that they typically don't recruit locally. That's all I can tell you.

Their recruiting philosophy, at least under Ditch, was highly restrictive and selective. Not just in location, but in the specific type of player, size of player, etc., that they were after. When you're Seton Hill or Mercyhurst, I get it. When you're IUP, just find guys who can play and coach/develop those players. Win some games and hope that attracts better players. Certainly easier said than done, I know.
                    If they get swept this weekend (I'd say highly likely) they will probably have the distinction of the worst record in school history (perhaps any sport).

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP24 View Post

Just so we're on the same page, what do you define as "local"? I am basically talking about the Heritage Conference (Blairsville, Homer-Center, Marion Center, Northern Cambria, Penns Manor, Purchase Line, Saltsburg, United, West Shamokin) plus Indiana High School.
                      http://www.indianagazette.com
                      www.twitter.com/MattBurglund

Comment

• IUP tweeted some pics of track athletes at today's meets in their caps and gowns. Today is graduation.

Doesn't sit real well with me. They shouldn't have to miss graduation..

Comment

IUP tweeted some pics of track athletes at today's meets in their caps and gowns. Today is graduation.

Doesn't sit real well with me. They shouldn't have to miss graduation..
                          Happens all the time unfortunately. Upside is that if they continue on their college career is extended. Most others are done today.

Comment

Happens all the time unfortunately. Upside is that if they continue on their college career is extended. Most others are done today.
                            I get it. That just sucks. Graduation is a big moment. Family moment.

Comment

• The IUP ladies will play in tomorrow's regional tennis final. They knocked off Slippery Rock today.

Comment

• Looks like IUP has offered a (non-P5) D1 grad transfer WR. Burner type.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X