Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post
    If Aliucci was exonerated of all charges I think he would be in. So, assuming he wasn't cleared of all wrongdoing do you think it's right or wrong to keep him out?

Comment

Michael Vick was inducted into the Va Tech Sports HOF in 2017.

Like Vick, Aliucci made a mistake and he served his time. I guess one question is whether he has redeemed himself since then I think I would vote him into the IUP HOF.

Comment

• The voting doesn't seem to be big on timeliness. I see they are inducting my former Wahr Hall floormate Dan Radakovich 41 years after his graduation. He's been the AD at Clemson since 2012 and before that, he was AD at Georgia Tech for many years. I think he also was the top officer for the national association of AD's for a while.

Comment

• From what I could find in a quick search, it appears he was sentenced (and served) 4 years in prison. So, he did the crime -- and the time.

Truth be told very few souls on Earth would even know about this if IUP were to let him in to the HOF. White collar, non-violent crime and he paid his debt to society ... I guess it wouldn't bother me either way.

We certainly took on a lot of players in that era who had criminal records prior to even playing a snap in Miller. If that's the era of players mainly getting nominated now ... seems to me a little of the pot calling the kettle black.

Comment

Michael Vick was inducted into the Va Tech Sports HOF in 2017.

Like Vick, Aliucci made a mistake and he served his time. I guess one question is whether he has redeemed himself since then I think I would vote him into the IUP HOF.
            Cheating D1 schools have different standards.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
              From what I could find in a quick search, it appears he was sentenced (and served) 4 years in prison. So, he did the crime -- and the time.

Truth be told very few souls on Earth would even know about this if IUP were to let him in to the HOF. White collar, non-violent crime and he paid his debt to society ... I guess it wouldn't bother me either way.

We certainly took on a lot of players in that era who had criminal records prior to even playing a snap in Miller. If that's the era of players mainly getting nominated now ... seems to me a little of the pot calling the kettle black.
              It was about 6 or 7 years ago. We were visiting my wife's cousin in Chadds Ford. When we went to leave, I saw we were close to Cheyney. We stayed at a Hampton Inn - I believe along 322. Took the drive since Cheyney was the only PASSHE campus I'd never visited. Granted it was the summer and most of our campuses look desolate then, but wow did Cheyney seem abandoned.

Comment

If Aliucci was exonerated of all charges I think he would be in. So, assuming he wasn't cleared of all wrongdoing do you think it's right or wrong to keep him out?
                Well, my thoughts are that he was such a very good football player at IUP that he should be in. Took IUP to a national title game and was the runner-up for the Harlon Hill the following year. He was a top five player in IUP football history in my opinion. There is no doubt that he should be in there. I shake my head that he is not. Just yet another thing that I do not see eye to eye with IUP any longer. O.J. is in the NFL HOF and he certainly should be. He was one of the greats. Off the field not so much.

I find Hall of Fames in general as very curios things. As IUPBigIndians says they are indeed very political things. Why do some players or coaches get in and others do not? Even the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame is very odd in how they do things. I look at the Indiana County Sports Hall of Fame and I am simply appalled that guys that I looked up to when i was in seventh grade like Mike Bertness and John Pettina of Indiana High and Greg Greczek of Homer-Center are not included. Half the people in the county HOF would not even be worthy to wipe the sweat off of these guys. All were multi sport standouts and each played a sport very well at IUP. It baffles me beyond belief.

Then there is the debate about if Hines Ward should get into the NFL HOF. Of course he should. He was a gritty and charsimatic player who went to multiple Pro Bowls and was a SB MVP. I say he gets in but he may have to wait awhile. Swann and Stallworth had to wait some time as well.

Comment

Borisenko and Leander going in to IUP HOF.
                  Also standout IUP TE Paul Kovell as well. Very good player. Was in the 1990 national title game.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

It was about 6 or 7 years ago. We were visiting my wife's cousin in Chadds Ford. When we went to leave, I saw we were close to Cheyney. We stayed at a Hampton Inn - I believe along 322. Took the drive since Cheyney was the only PASSHE campus I'd never visited. Granted it was the summer and most of our campuses look desolate then, but wow did Cheyney seem abandoned.

Comment

• Cheyney is a dump. No other way to say it.

Comment

Cheyney is a dump. No other way to say it.
                        But still one of the very few PSAC schools (maybe the only) to win a men's national championship in a major sport (basketball).

Comment

• The malls I've been in recently all seem to be rapidly fading.

Comment

• In 2006, for Lou Tepper's debut with IUP, I covered the game at Cheyney. In the press box before the game, I was talking to someone from Cheyney. Might have been the SID or another administrator, I can't remember. Part of our conversation went something like this:

ME: (sarcastically) I see you guys let the grass grow to slow down IUP.

CHEYNEY: Nope. The lawnmower broke.

ME: Oh, I see. Well, why not just use one of the other mowers?

CHEYNEY: No, you don't get it. The lawnmower broke. It's our only one.

I went outside the pressbox and looked at the campus nearby. Sure enough, every blade of grass I saw was a good 8-10 inches high.
                            http://www.indianagazette.com
                            www.twitter.com/MattBurglund

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post
                              I look at the Indiana County Sports Hall of Fame and I am simply appalled that guys that I looked up to when i was in seventh grade like Mike Bertness and John Pettina of Indiana High and Greg Greczek of Homer-Center are not included. Half the people in the county HOF would not even be worthy to wipe the sweat off of these guys. All were multi sport standouts and each played a sport very well at IUP. It baffles me beyond belief.
                              The Indiana County Sports Hall of Fame takes recommendations for inductees. If you contact a board member and make a pitch, they can put those name(s) on the ballot and make a case for them. I've done it before.
                              http://www.indianagazette.com
                              www.twitter.com/MattBurglund

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt Burglund View Post

In 2006, for Lou Tepper's debut with IUP, I covered the game at Cheyney. In the press box before the game, I was talking to someone from Cheyney. Might have been the SID or another administrator, I can't remember. Part of our conversation went something like this:

ME: (sarcastically) I see you guys let the grass grow to slow down IUP.

CHEYNEY: Nope. The lawnmower broke.

ME: Oh, I see. Well, why not just use one of the other mowers?

CHEYNEY: No, you don't get it. The lawnmower broke. It's our only one.

I went outside the pressbox and looked at the campus nearby. Sure enough, every blade of grass I saw was a good 8-10 inches high.
                                I attended Cheyney for a year and it definitely was eye opening. There is no off campus housing, nothing to do on the weekends if there isn't a campus sanctioned party unless you have a car to travel to WCU for parties. They had fraternities but no Frat houses so the social aspect is pretty lacking. Now without football and basketball I'm sure every weekend the campus is a ghost town, not to mention they're probably not getting kids to buy the higher meal plans since they're not staying on weekends when there isn;'t anything going on lol. It's location is similar to Lincoln, very secluded however Lincoln has managed to keep it's campus grounds maintained as well as keep athletics going and even managed somehow to get a new stadium built for football. Hasn't translated to wins yet but if they keep recruiting in Philly like they did this past offseason they could turn the tide soon.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X