Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    The season is rapidly approaching. What are the expectations based on this daunting schedule? Good news is 3 of the 4 big ones are in Miller Stadium -- whatever that's actually worth. The other one will be a full-blown circus.

Tort enters Year 4 with a 31-6 record. Diving deeper into that number, he's got a .500 record against Cal/SRU (2-1 vs Cal and 1-2 vs SRU). He's gone 3-0 in non-conference (swept Ashland and beat New Haven). Downside is he's lost two home playoff games and ended the other season with that infamous Shippensburg debacle.

That said, I think this is a big year for the program. No coach ever wants to lose 3 straight to its rival. They have to stop that bleeding this year. Three in a row becomes a change of power. I really want to see IUP come out different against SRU this year. Last two games we've got curb stomped in the first half. Great comebacks in both, sure, but let's get the first half fixed.

At a bare minimum they have to split these first two games. Kutztown returns a ton. Shepherd is Shepherd. Winning both likely propels them for the rest of the year and gets them a Top 5 national ranking. Losing both is essentially hitting the ice berg.

Hard to make any predictions until we see the results of Tort's summer shopping spree. I sure hope some DL show up in Indiana pretty soon.

SRU is also breaking in a new QB but is otherwise loaded.

I still wish IUP was playing a cupcake game prior to Kutztown. Camp scrimmages only go so far.

Looking back at that 31-6 record ... some of those losses are painful to this day.

- Shepherd on a bomb with seconds to play
    - SRU loss No. 1 IUP came all the way back, had the lead and couldn't close it out
    - SRU loss No. 2 was eerily similar
    - The awful ending in Adamson (the endzone Pick 6 as IUP was driving to win it)
    - Shippensburg to end the '18 season was just a forgettable game on so many levels
    - West Florida ... great comeback after being down 24-0 but ended up losing 27-17

So, what are our esteemed message board hacks predicting?

10-0
    9-1
    8-2
    7-3
    Worse
    Sorry for being late to the party.

But I think its still very difficult to determine how any of the schools may fare. Just not sure how any team will play after basically being away from competitive football for a season, and whether former contributing players can afford to attend school. I think someone earlier pointed out that most of IUP's alleged "tough games" are at home, so I do like that. With all that being said, I am thinking 8-2, but hope I am wrong.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post
      Alright IUP football fans let's get focused on the upcoming 2021 season with another fun installment of buying or selling about some comments about the team and their fortunes. Buying of course means that you agree and selling means that you disagree. Let's jump right in. We will call this one the offensive edition.

1. Javon Davis will be the opening day starter at QB?

2. Justice Evans will be a 1,000 yard rusher?

3. Touchdown Duane Brown will be a serious Harlon Hill contender?

4. Irv Charles will prove that he is indeed a real person and will play in an actual game for IUP this season?

5. The IUP offensive line will be dominant this season?

6. IUP will win the entire PSAC?

7. (on the lighter side) Indiana Gazette IUP football beat writer Matt Burglund will have a complete meltdown before the end of the season?

It will be interesting to hear what our esteemed roundtable has to say on these matters. It will be good to get back to IUP football.

Support Pat Dougherty for Indiana County Judge!
      1. Javon Davis will be the opening day starter at QB?
      Buy - Davis has more experience with the offense, so he will be at least the opening day starter. Ramart could take the job if Davis is unable to consistently connect with his talented WRs

2. Justice Evans will be a 1,000 yard rusher?
      Sell - Too many talented skilled playmakers on the team for Evans to rush for 1000 yards. In fact, I think former All PSAC West Malik Anderson (if not moved to the WR) Adam Houser and Dayjure Stewart will steal enough reps to keep him from the 1000 yard mark.

3. Touchdown Duane Brown will be a serious Harlon Hill contender?
      Sell - If WR Charles Irvin is as good as advertised, and if Tort allow other players such as Qashah Carter, Malik Anderson, Nazir Streeter and Kyeer Geisinger handle kickoff/punt return duties, then I do not believe Brown will have the huge numbers to be a serious Marlon Hill candidate.

4. Irv Charles will prove that he is indeed a real person and will play in an actual game for IUP this season?
      Buy - And only because someone practically guaranteed he will be playing.

5. The IUP offensive line will be dominant this season?
      Push - I am not sure about this one. They do return 3 players that started for a period of time. But I have not heard much about the OL. I really want to lean towards "Sell", but we will see is Tort can bring in some 1-year mercenaries to enhance the line.

6. IUP will win the entire PSAC?
      Push - On paper, IUP looks like a team that "should" win the PSAC. But a ton depends on the play at the QB position. Also, that QB is still at Shepherd And I am not even sure what transfers are coming in to Shepherstown for the fall season. Gonna say "Push" for now.

7. (on the lighter side) Indiana Gazette IUP football beat writer Matt Burglund will have a complete meltdown before the end of the season?
      Sell - Matt will be just fine. He will be cooler than the other side of the pillow during the season. The expectations are not that high for this team, not like the 2017 team.

Any reason why there were there no Defensive questions?

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

Its why I think the best course of action for Cheyney is to make it a residential 2-year college. A good bit of students are coming out of poorly performing school districts and have cost concerns. Price it accordingly so full Pell covers tuition & fees, full PHEAA covers room & board. The curriculum should be designed to feed transfers to PASSHE schools. The alumni won't like it but they're also not stepping up financially. No athletics and residential only means there are fewer distractions and they'll get the sense of belonging & support needed.
        I too believe converting Cheyney to a 2-year school would work the best for this institution.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP Ebbs View Post

Good post.

I'll caveat my pessimism based on today's roster. Hopefully IUP Football has the "Big Summer" you mentioned, and fills in some of the question marks on the roster. OL, DL, and secondary (Safety) are my focal areas. QB too.

Time will tell and September is not as far away at it may seem.

Transfers have become such a key part of a college programs recruiting effort in the last 2 years. Now, recruiting of Freshman and transfers, is nearly non-stop year round. That can wear out a staff (and empty a football programs scholarship accounts).
          I will Bet the defense is greatly improved. Covid freshman are studs 5 of them on defense. Including monster DL from TJ. Also transfer DE alreadg proven himself in PSAC West. 2 DB's are going to be special players, one from Erie one from out East.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP412 View Post

I will Bet the defense is greatly improved. Covid freshman are studs 5 of them on defense. Including monster DL from TJ. Also transfer DE alreadg proven himself in PSAC West. 2 DB's are going to be special players, one from Erie one from out East.

They are doing a great job of not showing their hand ... but, I have also heard there are some studs in the mix that the public doesn't know about yet. The defense is going to be much, much better than many realize at this point.

Comment

• Went back a bit looking at when IUP only played a 10-game regular season:

2016: 9-1, lost in second round of playoffs (both losses to Cal)
              2015: 8-2, lost in second round of playoffs
              2011: 7-3, missed playoffs
              2008: 8-2, missed playoffs
              2007: 8-2, lost in second round of playoffs
              2006: 8-2, missed playoffs
              2005: 6-4, missed playoffs
              2004: 7-3, missed playoffs
              2001: 9-1, lost in first round of playoffs

So I will admit that my criticism seems somewhat misguided. 4 years made the playoffs anyway out of 9 seasons. But as we've hit a couple dozen times, it leaves IUP with a much lower margin for error, especially when they have such a strong schedule. I do see that their online schedule now says, "Due to the on-going worldwide pandemic, the 2021 schedule is subject to change." Hopefully that means they're still looking for a game.

Comment

They are doing a great job of not showing their hand ... but, I have also heard there are some studs in the mix that the public doesn't know about yet. The defense is going to be much, much better than many realize at this point.
                What does this even mean? Lol

Transfers? Or some guys slept in the gym the last 18 months?

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP24 View Post

What does this even mean? Lol

Transfers? Or some guys slept in the gym the last 18 months?
                  Since they are keeping it quiet on social media I guess we'll have to wait for the roster to post.

There are some nice additions. Put it that way.

Comment

Since they are keeping it quiet on social media I guess we'll have to wait for the roster to post.

There are some nice additions. Put it that way.
                    "Well... We're waiting..."

Comment

Went back a bit looking at when IUP only played a 10-game regular season:

So I will admit that my criticism seems somewhat misguided. 4 years made the playoffs anyway out of 9 seasons. But as we've hit a couple dozen times, it leaves IUP with a much lower margin for error, especially when they have such a strong schedule. I do see that their online schedule now says, "Due to the on-going worldwide pandemic, the 2021 schedule is subject to change." Hopefully that means they're still looking for a game.
                      Everyone played 10 (some 9) in 2001 because of 9/11.
                      http://www.indianagazette.com
                      www.twitter.com/MattBurglund

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt Burglund View Post

Everyone played 10 (some 9) in 2001 because of 9/11.
                        Ahh yes. Thank you for reminding me.

Comment

Went back a bit looking at when IUP only played a 10-game regular season:

Last edited by IUPNation; 06-24-2021, 08:13 AM.

Comment

• I don't know ... that team lost on the road to a sub .500 Millersville. Nail meet coffin.

Comment

I don't know ... that team lost on the road to a sub .500 Millersville. Nail meet coffin.

Comment

• That was an incredible Cal team. Best team (dirty) money could buy.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X