Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

We haven't seen them near full strength yet. Hopefully we will at some point. They had some massive players out last week -- RB Houser, DL Wallace, WR Daquon Green, DB Washington, LB Kelly, QB Harry Football (dressed but only in case of emergency). Duane and Dauberman left in that dreadful third quarter. How different do things look if Harry started the season? Who knows. Kelly was a huge absence at LB.

So, now we may get some guys back but lose some others (Duane with the shoulder and Dauberman with the foot are both questionable). Obviously the schedule is lighter for the next three weeks. But, as mentioned above, IUP has had some fits with some of these teams over the years. When you're the 'hated' program, you're going to get everybody's best shot.

I don't believe in the old Mike Tomlin 'next man up' stuff. With our rosters and depth, 'next man up' is usually a significant downgrade. If it is true that about 40 percent isn't vaccinated, they will continue to have failed tests weekly. We might as well get used to that.

Injuries will happen every game. That's football. They are just piled up right now at key spots.

We've seen IUP teams bounce back from weeks like we just saw and we've seen some go in the tank. We will start to get that answer on Saturday.

IUP has basically played from behind in 7 of 8 quarters this year. That has to change.
    I expect this season to take a lot of turns. It's amazing how high IUP fans were after the Kutztown game and how low they were after Shepherd. I'm very hopeful about this season. Yes, a major factor emerging is health. Concerning Brown, a "sprained" shoulder can cover a wide range of injuries. Hopefully, he will be fine.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ram040506 View Post

I was reading that you guys were also without that DE from Clarion who was a much hyped transfer. That's a big one against a passing team on a hot day where you should be rotating DL throughout the game. I've said it a few times, but I think part 2 is in the cards between Shep/IUP later this year.

Also, curious to hear what you guys think on your 2 DT's. Call me crazy, but I think both of those 2 fellas need to lose 30-40 lbs. Other than obviously being plugs in the middle for run support, they didn't offer anything in that game against that Opponent. If the goal is strictly no running up the gut, but forget the pass rush - mission accomplished.
      I see a lot of linemen who look as if they're carrying too much weight these days, and it starts at the high school level. Unless you have a lot of depth, it's usually going to tell in the second half against spread offenses, especially when summer temperatures carry over into the fall as they do nowadays. Not only are some of these guys carrying 30-40 pounds of unhealthy weight, but it can get out of control when they stop playing, but continue to eat as they did in their playing days.

Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

I expect this season to take a lot of turns. It's amazing how high IUP fans were after the Kutztown game and how low they were after Shepherd. I'm very hopeful about this season. Yes, a major factor emerging is health. Concerning Brown, a "sprained" shoulder can cover a wide range of injuries. Hopefully, he will be fine.
          When the schedule was first announced, a lot of people on here felt that IUP being 1-1 after the first two games was acceptable. Obviously bigger pieces were added since then and poor play versus Shepherd are valid reasons to be upset. But I think there's still a lot of football to play and it is still possible for IUP to go 9-1 (probably with a rematch of either KU or Shep in the state game).

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

When the schedule was first announced, a lot of people on here felt that IUP being 1-1 after the first two games was acceptable. Obviously bigger pieces were added since then and poor play versus Shepherd are valid reasons to be upset. But I think there's still a lot of football to play and it is still possible for IUP to go 9-1 (probably with a rematch of either KU or Shep in the state game).
            Part of it -- my opinion -- was the frustration of having so many guys out. I'm not talking role players ... they had some major studs not dressed for that game. Starting WR, RB, LB, DL, S, etc. That adds up quick. I get this isn't D1 and we're not going to get the information prior to warm-ups. Kelly and Wallace are arguably two of IUP's best defensive players. Their absence was massive.

Then we were watching the same run get stuffed on first down over and over again all afternoon. Defensively, I'm not sure Bagent even got touched all day. The last ray of hope to stay in the game we botched that reverse. Was that a pretty risky call in that spot? Of course it was risky when it loses you 14 yards.

They still should have been up at halftime -- or, at worst, tied. We had the dropped TD and then the other drive stall at the 10. Settling for those FGs was huge. Then, of course, the third quarter was just ... as Tort said 'one of the ugliest quarters he's ever seen at IUP'. Not many other ways to say it.

It also seemed clear Shepherd wasn't real worried about Javon's arm nor the IUP run game. They seemed OK if Irv got his deep ball but they were hell bent on taking away the dink/dunk stuff that ripped up Kutztown pretty good the week prior. Said dink/dunk is even less effective when every drives starts 2-and-10 or 2nd-and-12. The secondary was just a mess. No other way to say it. Tort mentioned all the blown coverages, missed tackles, etc.

Tort said last night he doesn't know who will start at QB but pretty much said both are playing. So, we'll see how long that lasts. It may work.

Let's hope Duane and Dauberman aren't real serious.

What summed that game up well was when IUP finally got Shepherd to punt (on their last possession of the half), the Shepherd punter botches it and skies it directly in to the wind. It hangs up there forever but doesn't go very far ... then hits and bounces about 25 yards down field. It was that kind of day.

The final score read they lost by 16, but it really wasn't that close. It got out of hand in the third quarter.

But, hey, I saw SRU clock IUP in the 1999 regular season and then IUP went up there and beat them in the playoffs. So, you never know what may happen. But, they have to get healthy -- and start praying they pass the Wednesday part of the week.

Comment

• Well I live rent free in your mind. The WiFi connection up there could be better though. Can you work on that?

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Part of it -- my opinion -- was the frustration of having so many guys out. I'm not talking role players ... they had some major studs not dressed for that game. Starting WR, RB, LB, DL, S, etc. That adds up quick. I get this isn't D1 and we're not going to get the information prior to warm-ups. Kelly and Wallace are arguably two of IUP's best defensive players. Their absence was massive.

Then we were watching the same run get stuffed on first down over and over again all afternoon. Defensively, I'm not sure Bagent even got touched all day. The last ray of hope to stay in the game we botched that reverse. Was that a pretty risky call in that spot? Of course it was risky when it loses you 14 yards.

They still should have been up at halftime -- or, at worst, tied. We had the dropped TD and then the other drive stall at the 10. Settling for those FGs was huge. Then, of course, the third quarter was just ... as Tort said 'one of the ugliest quarters he's ever seen at IUP'. Not many other ways to say it.

It also seemed clear Shepherd wasn't real worried about Javon's arm nor the IUP run game. They seemed OK if Irv got his deep ball but they were hell bent on taking away the dink/dunk stuff that ripped up Kutztown pretty good the week prior. Said dink/dunk is even less effective when every drives starts 2-and-10 or 2nd-and-12. The secondary was just a mess. No other way to say it. Tort mentioned all the blown coverages, missed tackles, etc.

Tort said last night he doesn't know who will start at QB but pretty much said both are playing. So, we'll see how long that lasts. It may work.

Let's hope Duane and Dauberman aren't real serious.

What summed that game up well was when IUP finally got Shepherd to punt (on their last possession of the half), the Shepherd punter botches it and skies it directly in to the wind. It hangs up there forever but doesn't go very far ... then hits and bounces about 25 yards down field. It was that kind of day.

The final score read they lost by 16, but it really wasn't that close. It got out of hand in the third quarter.

But, hey, I saw SRU clock IUP in the 1999 regular season and then IUP went up there and beat them in the playoffs. So, you never know what may happen. But, they have to get healthy -- and start praying they pass the Wednesday part of the week.
                Do you think the coaches will be cracking down on Covid protocol? It surd cost them being sloppy.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

Do you think the coaches will be cracking down on Covid protocol? It surd cost them being sloppy.
                  Hey ... it's their season.

Your best ability is your availability.

The other team doesn't really give a shiz if you got guys out. They prefer it.

Comment

• Is Houser a possibility for this week? I know those high ankle sprains tend to linger.

Comment

• Originally posted by jrshooter View Post
                      Is Houser a possibility for this week? I know those high ankle sprains tend to linger.

Comment

• He spent most of his junior season of high school playing at 80 percent after spraining an ankle in the season opener.

Comment

• Originally posted by jrshooter View Post
                          Is Houser a possibility for this week?
                          He's out.

Duane Brown, Connor Kelly and Randy Washington are questionable. Josh Dauberman and Cole Laney are good to go.
                          http://www.indianagazette.com
                          www.twitter.com/MattBurglund

Comment

• Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by Matt Burglund View Post

He's out.

Duane Brown, Connor Kelly and Randy Washington are questionable. Josh Dauberman and Cole Laney are good to go.
                                Just a guess but I'd think Houser could be back for #LIT-AF. I assume he misses this week and next.

High ankle sprains and RBs are a nightmare. So easy to tweak.

What was the deal with our Florida Gator? Protocol issues?

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X