Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

Probably staffing. I've heard similar issues from other schools.
    I'd guess a combination of staffing and the fact they simply don't need all those places open. Not enough bodies to justify the expense.

Word also is two of the fancy new(ish) dorms are not going to open for the 22-23 school year. They are going to cut cost and put them on the shelf for a year.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
      Former IUP QB Javon Davis has landed at Wheeling.
      Wish he had waited another week... Bagent said 2 weeks in the portal, Davis would have been a nice consolation to bridge the gap to whoever the next QB would be if Bagent does leave.

Good for him though! Wheeling stinks, but they could certainly climb the standings in the MEC and finish in the top 3rd with steadier QB play.

Comment

Probably staffing. I've heard similar issues from other schools.
        Crazy, now they'll have to deal with larger crowds!

Comment

I'd guess a combination of staffing and the fact they simply don't need all those places open. Not enough bodies to justify the expense.

Word also is two of the fancy new(ish) dorms are not going to open for the 22-23 school year. They are going to cut cost and put them on the shelf for a year.
          Yep, all cost cutting. there have been a number of admin layoffs as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

Crazy, now they'll have to deal with larger crowds!
            Food service is one of those areas that colleges never really consult the needs or desires of students, which is really foolish. More often it's the contracted vendor convincing a group of 50 and 60 somethings what to do (in the best interest of the vendor). Students now will wait in line for 20 minutes for a custom made grab & go meal than go through the traditional cafeteria style sit down meal, even if the latter saves time. They also don't want all you can eat, which every food service vendor pushes.

What's going on now is everyone uses a big national conglomerate for food service, Aramark, Sodexho, Chartwells, etc. that is trying to pay as little as possible to maximize profit. Student satisfaction be damned. But we've seen a big wage bump in entry level retail that's stealing workers from elsewhere. Minimum wage is $7.25 but Sheetz is paying $13 plus scholarships if you average 20 hours a week. Add on top of that supply chain issues.

SRU has a Quaker Steak & Lube on campus so you can imagine what wing supply issues have done to that food option.

Comment

Food service is one of those areas that colleges never really consult the needs or desires of students, which is really foolish. More often it's the contracted vendor convincing a group of 50 and 60 somethings what to do (in the best interest of the vendor). Students now will wait in line for 20 minutes for a custom made grab & go meal than go through the traditional cafeteria style sit down meal, even if the latter saves time. They also don't want all you can eat, which every food service vendor pushes.

What's going on now is everyone uses a big national conglomerate for food service, Aramark, Sodexho, Chartwells, etc. that is trying to pay as little as possible to maximize profit. Student satisfaction be damned. But we've seen a big wage bump in entry level retail that's stealing workers from elsewhere. Minimum wage is $7.25 but Sheetz is paying $13 plus scholarships if you average 20 hours a week. Add on top of that supply chain issues.

SRU has a Quaker Steak & Lube on campus so you can imagine what wing supply issues have done to that food option.
              I don't know when you attended school, but those of us attending Ship in the '60s would've killed for the food options Ship students have now.

Comment

• So is there any word on Spring transfers, they should be hitting campus now. Haven't heard anything spectacular, just a few guys from other D2 programs and Lower level FCS. Someone has to play QB in the Spring,

Comment

• Originally posted by ironmaniup View Post
                  So is there any word on Spring transfers, they should be hitting campus now. Haven't heard anything spectacular, just a few guys from other D2 programs and Lower level FCS. Someone has to play QB in the Spring,
                  Gotta spend some major time on punt protection, too, this Spring. Just sayin'

Transfer-wise ... haven't seen too much. They are doing a good job keeping this stuff close to the vest.

I sure hope they found their QB and he's here for the Spring. Going through the whole session with the remaining (deep) backups doesn't seem like it would be real productive.

Sometimes those 'lower level' FCS guys are pretty good. Look at Harry Football. They dug him out of the basement of FCS.

Comment

Gotta spend some major time on punt protection, too, this Spring. Just sayin'

Transfer-wise ... haven't seen too much. They are doing a good job keeping this stuff close to the vest.

I sure hope they found their QB and he's here for the Spring. Going through the whole session with the remaining (deep) backups doesn't seem like it would be real productive.

Sometimes those 'lower level' FCS guys are pretty good. Look at Harry Football. They dug him out of the basement of FCS.
                    Can we completely disregard the guys we recruited out of high school? If so, then what is the point?

There are 3 highly touted guys listed as quarterbacks. I know the guy from Homer City was moved around to other positions but I would like to hear some points of view, or better yet, inside information.

Comment

• Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

Can we completely disregard the guys we recruited out of high school? If so, then what is the point?

There are 3 highly touted guys listed as quarterbacks. I know the guy from Homer City was moved around to other positions but I would like to hear some points of view, or better yet, inside information.
                      Well, to be frank, yes, we can probably disregard those guys in regard to the starting QB role.

It's abundantly clear they are bringing in a QB. It's just a matter if he's here for Spring Ball or not.

It's been a long time since IUP rolled with a high school recruited QB. Long time.

Comment

Well, to be frank, yes, we can probably disregard those guys in regard to the starting QB role.

It's abundantly clear they are bringing in a QB. It's just a matter if he's here for Spring Ball or not.

It's been a long time since IUP rolled with a high school recruited QB. Long time.
                        A longer time than Shepherd, for example. There are other successful QB's in the PSAC and D2 that were recruited from HS and developed within the program.

I'm sort of playing devil's advocate here because I want IUP to have a really good QB. They have to. But, at the same time, relegating HS recruits to a bench role (e.g. Davis) does have some problems.
                        Last edited by iupgroundhog; 01-12-2022, 02:09 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

A longer time than Shepherd, for example. There are other successful QB's in the PSAC and D2 that were recruited from HS and developed within the program.

I'm sort of playing devil's advocate here because I want IUP to have a really good QB. They have to. But, at the same time, delegating HS recruits to a bench role (e.g. Davis) does have some problems.
                          It seems like once you start down this transfer QB path ... it's hard to break away from it.

I'm 100% sure other schools are using that against IUP in recruiting high school QBs. Sure, they keep signing a couple here and there, but I know they lost out on several of their top targets the past couple years.

At the same time, IUP has had a pretty good run with QB imports. I think we'd all agree we'd like to get at least two years out of these guys. Sometimes there's a one-year guy that is just too good to pass.

This coming year, ... they return an abundance of talent and experienced players. They have to get a stud out of the portal who is ready to go on Day 1.

Keep in mind I think Davis was seen as more of the next Lenny ... similar size, skill set, etc. The year with Maxwell seemed to open their eyes to a big, big arm QB ... and the offense changed dramatically. Davis' skill set just didn't really fit with what they were trying to do. He didn't have a big arm, etc. And, remember, Davis allegedly won the job out of Spring last year but the word was nobody felt real warm and fuzzy about it. He caught Kutztown (and all of us) off guard when he started the first game. Once there was a game of film on him, Shepherd crushed him. They knew he couldn't throw deep and just hammered the short stuff.

Comment

• Word on the street is LB Connor Kelly is staying for another year. That's big.

Comment

• IUP has offered Central Daughin East QB Tony Powell (6'4", 210 lbs).

Comment

• They also offered his high school teammate, CB Tyrell Ford.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X