X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• iupgroundhog
    replied
    Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
    Notre Dame College in talks to merge with Cleveland State. That's a new one - a public absorbing a private.

Notre Dame has lost half its enrollment since 2014.
    I wonder if that means Cleveland State might get a football team and play at ND's stadium. Cleveland State is getting pretty big.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Notre Dame College in talks to merge with Cleveland State. That's a new one - a public absorbing a private.

It's basically become what was Urbana. Athletics are the only thing keeping the lights on (for now).

Leave a comment:

• IUPNation
    replied

Maybe they should have sent out an SOS to Real Notre Dame and ask to be a branch campus.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied

Leave a comment:

• iupgroundhog
    replied
    Here is an article from the IG regarding Shapiro's higher ed plan. Hopefully, you can navigate the paywall

https://www.indianagazette.com/news/shapiro-proposes-bringing-together-passhe-community-colleges/article_d32a05ef-4bf3-5bac-aff4-f7f39683fe34.html#tncms-source=login

The reactions from the state rep from Indiana and the other Republicans blow me away. They simply never grasp that spending for education is an investment. If the PA economy needs anything, it needs this. The PA Republicans thinking is so disappointing and misguided.

Having grown up in Lock Haven and attending college in Indiana, I read these local papers online. All you ever see on the pages is about some organization receiving a government grant for this or that and they are so happy. Yet, this grant money to help bad local economies like Lock Haven and Indiana is made possible by Democrats. The locals still vote Republican. Go figure.

Sorry for the politics but it is too intertwined with the topic to ignore.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied
    Enrollment & budget woes are now hitting the next ring of schools: the large, public schools mostly with D1 sports who have the enrollment to cover for small financial swings but the combination of enrollment fluctuations, state funding changes, and operating cost inflation have forced them to trim. UNC campuses like Charlotte and Greensboro are trimming. University of New Hampshire is looking to cut 75 jobs.

Penn State is looking to cut $100 million. A 1.5% cut from the main campus but 15% from the branches annual operating budgets. Plus $30 million a year less in administrative & operating costs (unsure how that differs).

Leave a comment:

• IUPNation
    replied

Now that SAT is optional you could have started in August and rolled the dice on your success.
    It was September in those days! Nobody should be in a class room before Labor Day!

I was about a B plus student in high school..and It was just about that at IUP. I rarely got grades below 85 in high school ( Philly Catholic High Schools grades in 0-100 scale) but I did get more C’s than I was used to at IUP..mainly my science classes because it’s boring to me and I was a bigger social butterfly…

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

I was Summer/January because I didn’t do SAT tests well but I had above average grades in high school. I was better off not answering the questions on the SAT which was not logical to me.
    Now that SAT is optional you could have started in August and rolled the dice on your success.

Leave a comment:

• IUPNation
    replied

No, and anymore schools don't even do early start for students on the cusp (which is stupid). They'll bring them in with everyone else in August but make them take remedial courses that don't count toward their degree. If the student doesn't pass the remedial classes, they have to retake and it screws up the spring schedule (and further delays degree completion). But those early arrival programs make faculty work in the summer and cost more than the remedial classes. Not an IUP thing - it’s a national trend for those of us accepting kids academically unprepared for college level math and English.
    I was Summer/January because I didn’t do SAT tests well but I had above average grades in high school. I was better off not answering the questions on the SAT which was not logical to me.
    Last edited by IUPNation; 01-24-2024, 12:31 PM.

Leave a comment:

• iupgroundhog
    replied

No, and anymore schools don't even do early start for students on the cusp (which is stupid). They'll bring them in with everyone else in August but make them take remedial courses that don't count toward their degree. If the student doesn't pass the remedial classes, they have to retake and it screws up the spring schedule (and further delays degree completion). But those early arrival programs make faculty work in the summer and cost more than the remedial classes. Not an IUP thing - its a national trend for those of us accepting kids academically unprepared for college level math and English.
    Who needs math and English when you have AI?

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

No, and anymore schools don't even do early start for students on the cusp (which is stupid). They'll bring them in with everyone else in August but make them take remedial courses that don't count toward their degree. If the student doesn't pass the remedial classes, they have to retake and it screws up the spring schedule (and further delays degree completion). But those early arrival programs make faculty work in the summer and cost more than the remedial classes. Not an IUP thing - its a national trend for those of us accepting kids academically unprepared for college level math and English.
    Those are the students who always get stuck with that one math professor who treats freshman College Algebra like some sort of NASA high-level course.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied

It was either Kitty U for a year or Summer/Jan for me in 84. I went Summer/January. Now I doubt they even do Summer/January.

Leave a comment:

• IUPNation
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

IUP was a different world. It's so calm now. Lol. Night and day different from the 80s and 90s.
    They didn’t have space for everyone then. Now they have too much..

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

It was either Kitty U for a year or Summer/Jan for me in 84. I went Summer/January. Now I doubt they even do Summer/January.
    IUP was a different world. It's so calm now. Lol. Night and day different from the 80s and 90s.

Leave a comment:

• IUPNation
    replied
    Montgomery County Community College has over 12000 students.

Just sayin…

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X