X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fightingscot82
    replied
    Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

In the interest of PASSHE and those of you who are alumni of the PennWest schools, I hope they can make it, but yeah, it sounds as if they need a cohesive vision. With some good leadership we seem to have stopped the bleeding for now at Ship, but the situation is certainly not as robust as we'd like and I don't think the schools caught in the middle of all this can afford a drain on the PASSHE system much longer.
    I do think that 5 straight years of frozen tuition helps quite a bit. The state funding increases have eaten up most of the annual expense increases and inflation. The privates that were chipping away at our target population can't discount much further. The average discount on private college tuition in Pennsylvania is 51% off the sticker price.

Leave a comment:

• Ship69
    replied
    Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

They say there's a plan but its taking too long. I know they all have jobs to do but this was rushed from the start. The Edinboro faculty union president's argument is that if they rush into the process as usual they'll get the same results: a president that leaves too soon. He argues that they need to finalize the plan and show success to sell. There are very, very few people truly qualified to run a university like this and some stakeholders are going to have to accept that its probably not the traditional track of someone who had a career as a professor then chair then dean then provost.

Wholesale changes like what you describe would require additional layoffs that will be fought til the end by the unions. It will be ugly and I don't think the legislature will go for it.
    In the interest of PASSHE and those of you who are alumni of the PennWest schools, I hope they can make it, but yeah, it sounds as if they need a cohesive vision. With some good leadership we seem to have stopped the bleeding for now at Ship, but the situation is certainly not as robust as we'd like and I don't think the schools caught in the middle of all this can afford a drain on the PASSHE system much longer.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied
    Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

Also, IMHO, they have no real unified school It's just an association of 3 former failing schools. What you are describing is directionlessness with no goals. The new entity has to figure out who it is and what it is.

PennWest should ultimately be split up as feeder schools to SRU and IUP. Maybe even get Ship to join in. Create a Western PA/SW PA system that is efficient and has a chance at actually working.

Commonwealth was always destined to work better because it meshes with the NE/NC region of PA much better.
    They say there's a plan but its taking too long. I know they all have jobs to do but this was rushed from the start. The Edinboro faculty union president's argument is that if they rush into the process as usual they'll get the same results: a president that leaves too soon. He argues that they need to finalize the plan and show success to sell. There are very, very few people truly qualified to run a university like this and some stakeholders are going to have to accept that its probably not the traditional track of someone who had a career as a professor then chair then dean then provost.

Wholesale changes like what you describe would require additional layoffs that will be fought til the end by the unions. It will be ugly and I don't think the legislature will go for it.

Leave a comment:

• iupgroundhog
    replied
    PennWest trustees met in Edinboro on Friday. The faculty union president from Edinboro ripped them a new one (watch it - its on YouTube). There is no plan for transition, which is ludicrous. I think the problem is that they have no real president. They have no real provost (VP of academics). Most other executive level people either aren't qualified or don't want it. Makes me worried there is some sort of secret plan that's not yet announced.
    Also, IMHO, they have no real unified school It's just an association of 3 former failing schools. What you are describing is directionlessness with no goals. The new entity has to figure out who it is and what it is.

PennWest should ultimately be split up as feeder schools to SRU and IUP. Maybe even get Ship to join in. Create a Western PA/SW PA system that is efficient and has a chance at actually working.

Commonwealth was always destined to work better because it meshes with the NE/NC region of PA much better.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied
    PennWest trustees met in Edinboro on Friday. The faculty union president from Edinboro ripped them a new one (watch it - its on YouTube). There is no plan for transition, which is ludicrous. I think the problem is that they have no real president. They have no real provost (VP of academics). Most other executive level people either aren't qualified or don't want it. Makes me worried there is some sort of secret plan that's not yet announced.

Leave a comment:

• SecretlySavage
    replied
    Originally posted by Horror Child View Post

Did you even read the article? She's had a 27-year career at West Chester, most recently as the provost. She was effectively on loan to PennWest. West Chester formed a search committee less than two months after the current president announced his retirement, whereas PennWest has done nothing towards identifying a permanent president even though the interim is only committed through June 30, 2024.

Please elaborate how this is poaching.
    Its not poaching, its more of a loaner president who is supposed to get the school back on track. The problem is that I don't think they've done a good job of that. I know they cut inquiry classes at Clarion even though it was statistically helping to retain students. Professors brought this up and met with leadership, but they seemingly told the professors to f off and not stick their noses in PASSHE business. I think its ridiculous that PennWest doesn't have their own president committed to helping the school.

Leave a comment:

• Horror Child
    replied
    Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post

West Chester attempting to poach an interim president from another PASSHE institution... yeah, that kinda shows where the power is in PASSHE at the moment.
    Did you even read the article? She's had a 27-year career at West Chester, most recently as the provost. She was effectively on loan to PennWest. West Chester formed a search committee less than two months after the current president announced his retirement, whereas PennWest has done nothing towards identifying a permanent president even though the interim is only committed through June 30, 2024.

Please elaborate how this is poaching.

Leave a comment:

• IUPNation
    replied
    Originally posted by ironmaniup View Post
    Looks like IUP's enrollment went up. Lots of caveats, but its a start. New Science building ribbon cutting is Nov 2 , this should help recruiting this spring as well. https://www.post-gazette.com/news/ed...s/202309280116
    We are coming back!!!

:-)

Leave a comment:

• ironmaniup
    replied
    Looks like IUP's enrollment went up. Lots of caveats, but its a start. New Science building ribbon cutting is Nov 2 , this should help recruiting this spring as well. https://www.post-gazette.com/news/ed...s/202309280116

Leave a comment:

• Ship69
    replied

West Chester attempting to poach an interim president from another PASSHE institution... yeah, that kinda shows where the power is in PASSHE at the moment.
    We got former Mansfield president Charles Patterson when his job went away as they formed Commonwealth University. We couldn't be more pleased with him. He's been fantastic.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied
    Emporium the hometown of PSAC commissioner Steve Murray. Also 2004 PSAC West DPOY Seth Fragale. And Kentucky men's basketball legend Nate Sestina.

Leave a comment:

• iupgroundhog
    replied

Emporia, PA is the Cameron County seat.
    Rabs, I think you missed the point here, FWIW. Emporium is in PA. Emporia is, in fact, in Kansas.

Leave a comment:

• ctrabs74
    replied

Emporia is in Kansas.
    Emporia, PA is the Cameron County seat.

Leave a comment:

• ctrabs74
    replied
    Pennsylvania Sh*t Show of Higher Education

https://triblive.com/local/regional/...-yet-to-begin/

Leave a comment:

• IUPNation
    replied

Ironically, an emporium is a place where they have anything you'd want to buy. I guess they did in the logging days. Also, ironically, I knew an African-American woman from Philly who married a white guy from a small community near Emporium, They eventually moved to that small town. I looked up the Census statistics for the town and on the ethnicity pie chart there was a thin line for African-American. I told her that I could see her on the graph.
    HA!!

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X