Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The 2019 US Defense budget was somewhere around $686 Billion...That might be a good place to get $250 Mill...

Comment

Originally posted by Horror Child View Post

Source? Surely this value varies widely for each institution, but some quick self-reported information:
      Bloomsburg 42% of students live in college owned, operated or affiliated housing
      Clarion 30% of students live on campus
      Mansfield 57% of full-time undergraduates live on campus
      Millersville 32% of students live in college owned, operated or affiliated housing
      West Chester 40% of all undergraduates live on campus
      Maybe it's 2 in 5 then. I can't recall where I saw that.

Comment

Originally posted by WarriorVoice View Post
        The 2019 US Defense budget was somewhere around $686 Billion...That might be a good place to get $250 Mill...
        I suggest they enlist for 4 yrs then the "GI BILL " will pay for their education plus housing.

Explain how having a degree in basket weaving will help if you're living under Chinese Communist rule.

Comment

Originally posted by Sec10-A-14 View Post

I suggest they enlist for 4 yrs then the "GI BILL " will pay for their education plus housing.

Explain how having a degree in basket weaving will help if you're living under Chinese Communist rule.
          I'm all for national service being compulsory for graduation from high school and college. Community service is extremely important in many different ways...Builds character and a sense of ownership.

Comment

Originally posted by WarriorVoice View Post

I'm all for national service being compulsory for graduation from high school and college. Community service is extremely important in many different ways...Builds character and a sense of ownership.
            The high school I graduated from offered volunteering as an elective. It was simple - find an opportunity, do the paperwork for credit, and work the same amount of hours as you'd otherwise spend in class. The supervisor would report the hours to the teacher. I don't believe there were any assignments - maybe I had to write a paper or something. I'd fallen behind a few credits in school and wasn't eligible to graduate on time - so they allowed me to spend part of the summer working for a thrift store for credit. It was actually the first real work experience I had. I remember we had a heat wave that summer too - I had to unload a trailer in close to 110 degrees. I finished high school by the end of that summer and the rest is history.

Actually, it would be cool if there was a federal program that allowed people to collect community service hours and "cash them in" on reduced, or even free, college tuition. Give something to get something. Certain jobs could be incentivized over others to form a meritocracy, and there could also be incentives for choosing to attend community/technical colleges and in-state public universities. The more you put in, the more you get out.

The military is a very noble choice - but it's not for everyone, so some kind of opportunity to serve the community in other ways would be nice.

Comment

Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post

The high school I graduated from offered volunteering as an elective. It was simple - find an opportunity, do the paperwork for credit, and work the same amount of hours as you'd otherwise spend in class. The supervisor would report the hours to the teacher. I don't believe there were any assignments - maybe I had to write a paper or something. I'd fallen behind a few credits in school and wasn't eligible to graduate on time - so they allowed me to spend part of the summer working for a thrift store for credit. It was actually the first real work experience I had. I remember we had a heat wave that summer too - I had to unload a trailer in close to 110 degrees. I finished high school by the end of that summer and the rest is history.

Actually, it would be cool if there was a federal program that allowed people to collect community service hours and "cash them in" on reduced, or even free, college tuition. Give something to get something. Certain jobs could be incentivized over others to form a meritocracy, and there could also be incentives for choosing to attend community/technical colleges and in-state public universities. The more you put in, the more you get out.

The military is a very noble choice - but it's not for everyone, so some kind of opportunity to serve the community in other ways would be nice.
              I forget who the Dem presidential candidate was - maybe Pete Buttigieg - but someone proposed tying federal service to college student aid. I'm all for it. Loan forgiveness in exchange for service in the military, guard, Peace Corps, Americorps, etc. Hell bring back the CCC, CWA, WPA, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

I forget who the Dem presidential candidate was - maybe Pete Buttigieg - but someone proposed tying federal service to college student aid. I'm all for it. Loan forgiveness in exchange for service in the military, guard, Peace Corps, Americorps, etc. Hell bring back the CCC, CWA, WPA, etc.
                Give a kid a lawnmower and let him cut the grass at the city park for a couple years - just do something to contribute to the community. Rack up those hours and get reduced, or even free tuition.

If we had something like that, a kid could go to a JUCO to get a trade diploma, work a PT job, and graduate with money in his bank account and a $40k-$50k/yr job easily. It would fix so many issues almost immediately. A lot of kids would take advantage too.

Comment

Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post

Give a kid a lawnmower and let him cut the grass at the city park for a couple years - just do something to contribute to the community. Rack up those hours and get reduced, or even free tuition.

If we had something like that, a kid could go to a JUCO to get a trade diploma, work a PT job, and graduate with money in his bank account and a $40k-$50k/yr job easily. It would fix so many issues almost immediately. A lot of kids would take advantage too.
                  Absolutely. The percentage of high school students who with a job is at the lowest point in several generations. That's not really a problem until they're learning how to be an employee in a professional role. It also opens up the menu of options for post-high school work to many students who need to know their options. That was part of the problem in Gen X and Millennials - so many assumed college was the best option after high school and other options were stigmatized. Good jobs for recent high school grads don't exist like they did pre-1980s.

I do hope that this pandemic elevates the gap year option. My oldest is only 9 but my wife and I have already decided that our kids will have 12 months from high school graduation to develop a plan of action on their career.

Comment

Absolutely. The percentage of high school students who with a job is at the lowest point in several generations. That's not really a problem until they're learning how to be an employee in a professional role. It also opens up the menu of options for post-high school work to many students who need to know their options. That was part of the problem in Gen X and Millennials - so many assumed college was the best option after high school and other options were stigmatized. Good jobs for recent high school grads don't exist like they did pre-1980s.

I do hope that this pandemic elevates the gap year option. My oldest is only 9 but my wife and I have already decided that our kids will have 12 months from high school graduation to develop a plan of action on their career.
                    Not a parent, but I do recall that the things my parents had "already decided" for their children at age 9 didn't go over so well when those children reached age 18. Just sayin' !!

Comment

Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post

Not a parent, but I do recall that the things my parents had "already decided" for their children at age 9 didn't go over so well when those children reached age 18. Just sayin' !!
                      Oh absolutely. I'm not telling them what they can study or where they must attend but they must develop a plan. But they won't be 20 years old, living at home, still working the same retail job they worked in high school because they don't have any direction.

Comment

Oh absolutely. I'm not telling them what they can study or where they must attend but they must develop a plan. But they won't be 20 years old, living at home, still working the same retail job they worked in high school because they don't have any direction.
                        Of course, they could at that point tell you to F off and move out. It happens.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Of course, they could at that point tell you to F off and move out. It happens.
                          Well sure but I won't bankroll it.

Comment

Bingo. I lived it.

I was told from a very early age that I had to go to college or else I'd be "flipping burgers." That's an incredible amount of pressure to put on a second grader. Turns out I hated school - it was a huge waste of time for me personally. I stumbled out of high school three weeks before my first semester of college was to begin - I had no plan or goal, because I never thought beyond "degree = $$$." It distorted my understanding of what work was worthwhile.

I certainly don't regret getting my degree - well, rather, I don't regret finishing what I started - but hindsight being 20/20, I can't say I would have gone about it the same way.

Comment

You get Student Loan forgiveness in exchange for military service...Active Duty, the Reserves and the NG. You also get tuition assistance for college courses you take while on active duty (100% of the tuition is paid up to $4500/yr) and you get the GI Bill. Non-US Citizens also get a pathway to citizenship for joining.

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

You get Student Loan forgiveness in exchange for military service...Active Duty, the Reserves and the NG. You also get tuition assistance for college courses you take while on active duty (100% of the tuition is paid up to $4500/yr) and you get the GI Bill. Non-US Citizens also get a pathway to citizenship for joining.
                                That's great. There was just no convincing 17 year old me that it was a good idea (I'm a 'challenge the process' person). And that was years before 9-11 and military service meant a probable trip to the desert.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X