Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

That's great. There was just no convincing 17 year old me that it was a good idea (I'm a 'challenge the process' person). And that was years before 9-11 and military service meant a probable trip to the desert.
    Understood...A term in the military is not for everyone. But I do get a kick from people that complain about student loan debt while absolutely ignoring a way to make it go largely away! And the military is not the ONLY government student loan forgiveness/payment program. Millitary too..."military?" Join the Peace Corp...They have a student loan repayment program. "Can't" hold off on starting your career? Become a government employee for almost any agency. Almost all have some sort of student loan repayment plan. But we don't seem to have many people that think that way...we want to work were we want to work and for whom we want to work for and have the government pick up our student loan tab!!!

As for being a "challenge the process" person, yea, me too. My TI convinced me in about 3 seconds that that wasn't going to work for him and more importantly, ME!! As they say now, my TI used it as a "Teachable Moment" for the rest of my Basic Training Flight as I banged out 100 push-ups!!

Comment

Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post

Not a parent, but I do recall that the things my parents had "already decided" for their children at age 9 didn't go over so well when those children reached age 18. Just sayin' !!
      Pretty much NOTHING a parent says to an 18 year old goes over very well! I remember each of my children looking at me with total distaine and borderline hatred when I told them ANYTHING when they were 18...even if I was telling them that dinner was ready!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post

Give a kid a lawnmower and let him cut the grass at the city park for a couple years - just do something to contribute to the community. Rack up those hours and get reduced, or even free tuition.

If we had something like that, a kid could go to a JUCO to get a trade diploma, work a PT job, and graduate with money in his bank account and a $40k-$50k/yr job easily. It would fix so many issues almost immediately. A lot of kids would take advantage too.
        I'd never knock Juco's and the programs they have, but for a lot of the trades, the clearest path is through an apprenticeship. My brother was a Steamfitter before he passed. He said that all a HS graduate had to do was show-up at the union hall and say you wanted to enter the Steamfitter apprenticeship and you were working the next day. Now granted, it's not easy work particularly the first couple of years, but you were working and making a decent wage (about 50K according to my brother). When you completed the program and became an actual Steamfitter, you'd make well above 100K per year without OT (which my brother said was plentiful).

I think as a society, we still look down our noses at people who work with their hands for a living...sort of like they are beneath us. I remember a politician recently said that he could teach anyone to be a farmer. All you have to do is put a seed in the ground, cover it with dirt, water it and corn pops up!!! I cringed at how condisending, elitist and stupid a person could be on one sentence. And he wanted to be president!

Comment

Originally posted by WarriorVoice View Post

I'm all for national service being compulsory for graduation from high school and college. Community service is extremely important in many different ways...Builds character and a sense of ownership.
          Good man.
          I served and with my interactions of among other nations, many countries have 2yr mandatory service. Its a good way for some to learn discipline, to grow up and for others a chance to see what career path is best for them.
          My son served US Secret Service
          My daughter volunteered US Air Force Nurse

Comment

Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post

Give a kid a lawnmower and let him cut the grass at the city park for a couple years - just do something to contribute to the community. Rack up those hours and get reduced, or even free tuition.

If we had something like that, a kid could go to a JUCO to get a trade diploma, work a PT job, and graduate with money in his bank account and a $40k-$50k/yr job easily. It would fix so many issues almost immediately. A lot of kids would take advantage too.
            Might not be a bad idea except the unions would strike bec students are taking their park lawn mowing jobs. I was suggest maybe a voucher program for seniors to cut their lawns, shovel snow from walks and or small odd jobs

Comment

Originally posted by Sec10-A-14 View Post

Might not be a bad idea except the unions would strike bec students are taking their park lawn mowing jobs. I was suggest maybe a voucher program for seniors to cut their lawns, shovel snow from walks and or small odd jobs
              I'm also a fan of unions...

Comment

Edinboro announces 100 jobs cut. Mostly housekeeping https://www.goerie.com/news/20200724...-than-100-jobs

Comment

Edinboro announces 100 jobs cut. Mostly housekeeping https://www.goerie.com/news/20200724...-than-100-jobs How nice. sit around with nothing to do and get paid for a yr. Its no wonder pa state education costs so much. And they keep crying for more money. Get rid of the fat )
                  Not a really accurate characterization.

Edinboro is outsourcing custodial jobs. I've heard rumblings about grounds staff too. Those are the easiest functions to outsource if any. It gets the school out of the very generous benefits package for those folks. I've worked at a university with both functions outsourced and I can tell you that nobody knows the difference.

Edinboro still has to right-size its teaching faculty with the size of the school. The one-year notice means they tell them that their job won't exist 12 months from today. It gives the faculty member time to job search and possibly bid on similar jobs at other PASSHE campuses. Nobody is sitting around "with nothing to do" and getting paid.

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

Not a really accurate characterization.

Edinboro is outsourcing custodial jobs. I've heard rumblings about grounds staff too. Those are the easiest functions to outsource if any. It gets the school out of the very generous benefits package for those folks. I've worked at a university with both functions outsourced and I can tell you that nobody knows the difference.

Edinboro still has to right-size its teaching faculty with the size of the school. The one-year notice means they tell them that their job won't exist 12 months from today. It gives the faculty member time to job search and possibly bid on similar jobs at other PASSHE campuses. Nobody is sitting around "with nothing to do" and getting paid.
                    It is a nice perk, though, based on the circumstances. When jobs in the business world cut back ... you may get a week. May.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

It is a nice perk, though, based on the circumstances. When jobs in the business world cut back ... you may get a week. May.
                      Sure, but its a benefit negotiated by the union. In business if you're let go with a week's notice that gives management a week to find someone to pick up the slack. When you're solely teaching a 15 week course, that can't really be done.

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

I'd never knock Juco's and the programs they have, but for a lot of the trades, the clearest path is through an apprenticeship. My brother was a Steamfitter before he passed. He said that all a HS graduate had to do was show-up at the union hall and say you wanted to enter the Steamfitter apprenticeship and you were working the next day. Now granted, it's not easy work particularly the first couple of years, but you were working and making a decent wage (about 50K according to my brother). When you completed the program and became an actual Steamfitter, you'd make well above 100K per year without OT (which my brother said was plentiful).

I think as a society, we still look down our noses at people who work with their hands for a living...sort of like they are beneath us. I remember a politician recently said that he could teach anyone to be a farmer. All you have to do is put a seed in the ground, cover it with dirt, water it and corn pops up!!! I cringed at how condisending, elitist and stupid a person could be on one sentence. And he wanted to be president!
                        Absolutely - those are also great opportunities to learn a trade.

The tech schools tend to be the dominant force around here, being as we have some of the best ones in the entire country in our tri-state area. So much so that I couldn't tell you where the nearest union hall is located. The downside is that businesses are becoming more specialized, and the schools can't adapt as quickly - so a lot of them just end up training graduates to some extent anyway, but those graduates are still highly sought after.

Those "dirty jobs" can sometimes be pretty fun and enlightening in their own way. I'll never put somebody down for the job that they do - because it needs to be done. I've often considered learning how to weld and jumping career paths - at least for a few years, so I can make some solid money and have some good job security.

Comment

It was just an example.

Point being, it doesn't have to just be military service - there are many other ways to contribute to the public.

Comment

Edinboro still has to right-size its teaching faculty with the size of the school. The one-year notice means they tell them that their job won't exist 12 months from today. It gives the faculty member time to job search and possibly bid on similar jobs at other PASSHE campuses. Nobody is sitting around "with nothing to do" and getting paid. Well the poor guy getting out sourced doesn't get a yrs pay to do a job search for similar pay. Hit the Bricks

Comment

Edinboro still has to right-size its teaching faculty with the size of the school. The one-year notice means they tell them that their job won't exist 12 months from today. It gives the faculty member time to job search and possibly bid on similar jobs at other PASSHE campuses. Nobody is sitting around "with nothing to do" and getting paid. Well the poor guy getting out sourced doesn't get a yrs pay to do a job search for similar pay. Hit the Bricks
                              It's been in the works for a long time. Openly discussed even, so they've had time to explore the market. Usually in these cases the company who wins the bid offers jobs to those being displaced.

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

I don't look down my nose when anyone charges me $75 just to walk into my house. I usually say, "Damn I'm in the wrong profession..."

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X