Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
    The plan is already changing. Announcements coming Monday.

Comment

• That's all I know. There are some rumors of the school collaborations changing.

Comment

That's all I know. There are some rumors of the school collaborations changing.
        We kind of look at it as what "should" PASSHE do and what we would like to see them do. Unfortunately, what I am starting to realize now is that with almost certain draconian budget cuts looming in the coming years the future will be dictated by a much smaller state appropriation.

Say goodbye to some of these schools. Might not be a choice. Just downsizing. I don't understand the labor contracts. Can't faculty and staff be terminated? That's going to have to happen, one way or another. FS82, can you explain how PASSHE can meet the need to reduce staff by, say, 30%?

Comment

• Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

We kind of look at it as what "should" PASSHE do and what we would like to see them do. Unfortunately, what I am starting to realize now is that with almost certain draconian budget cuts looming in the coming years the future will be dictated by a much smaller state appropriation.

Say goodbye to some of these schools. Might not be a choice. Just downsizing. I don't understand the labor contracts. Can't faculty and staff be terminated? That's going to have to happen, one way or another. FS82, can you explain how PASSHE can meet the need to reduce staff by, say, 30%?
          It's my understanding that process has already begun. A year ago all faculty were offered an early retirement incentive. It was clearly communicated that savings would decrease the need to retrench faculty. A similar program was introduced in the spring to all full time employees systemwide. After all of that, 10 of 14 schools notified the faculty union of possible retrenchment in June 2021. Every school is also required to identify low enrollment majors and minors for elimination. Its safe to assume that faculty cuts come with the program cuts. You can employ faculty to teach gen ed American government classes but won't need faculty to teach upper level comparative government.

I can speak specifically to Edinboro. Older faculty making top of the scale retired over the summer. By the end of the summer, staff and management followed suit. Duties are being consolidated. The VP of Advancement retired in August. The AVP retired in June. The major gifts officer is leaving at the end of this month. None are being replaced. The university marketing & PR office took over the SID duties when he retired in June. They're outsourcing custodial services. Academic programs are up for elimination based on low enrollment or declining enrollment trends.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPNation View Post
            If the Pennsylvania state system is in trouble....I can't imagine West Virginia small public colleges will be in great shape....they most likely face closure too. A smaller Pee Sack might have to take in what is left of the MEC.
            Undergraduate enrollment at WVHEC schools was up .2% from 2015-2019. Among WV DII schools (roughly equiviient to PASSHE), enrollment was up 2%:

Top Performers:
            WV State +49%
            WLU +3.6%

Bottom Feeders:
            Concord -22%
            Shepherd -13%

Comment

• SRU is out. New partnership is Cal, Clarion, and Edinboro.

https://www.clarion.edu/news/2020/se...rtnership.html

Comment

SRU is out. New partnership is Cal, Clarion, and Edinboro.

It hasn't been presented yet, but can we expect that the three schools will retain their individual identities or should we expect a rebranded Pa Western University?

Comment

• Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post

It hasn't been presented yet, but can we expect that the three schools will retain their individual identities or should we expect a rebranded Pa Western University?
                  I don't have much inside info. As I understand it, right now the plan is that on the ground level identity will be very much the same. But everything is on the table including a consolidated name change. Western PA University was mentioned to me.

Comment

Big picture-wise, I see this as a little troubling. Weeks after the PASSHE laid out the plan it is being changed substantially.

To me, this reflects a power struggle between the central office (PASSHE/Greenstein) and the individual institutions. In other words - politics and tribalism.

As far as Cal/Boro/Clarion goes, will integrating 3 struggling institutions result in a greater product? If so, how? Are these schools complementary to an extent that combined they end up greater than the sum of their individual parts?

The online program was already in place for 2 of the schools so they have just added a 3rd to the mix. Plus, that is a test program with the idea that it could be expanded to include the entire system, so it isn't something that belongs to the three schools.

Who balked at the initial realignment? Did SRU feel that they have a good thing going and not want to get involved with Boro? Or something else?

Does this open the door to a much stronger combo between IUP and SRU? IUP and SRU have greater strengths, respectively than the other western schools and they complement each other more.

As I've said before, the academic cooperation between IUP and SRU goes way back. At a certain point, they became "sister schools." They have cooperated much more in terms of academics than any other part of the system. IUP/SRU would have the potential to be a really strong entity. In the future, if there is a name change for IUP that might be a good thing. Of course, SRU's name seems to be a strength. (and, no, I wouldn't want to become an alumnus of Slippery Rock in the future if that's what you're thinking, lol.)

Ultimately, I think this all is better coordinated centrally and I would hate to see the progress Greenstein seemed to be making derailed.
                    Last edited by iupgroundhog; 09-14-2020, 10:27 AM.

Comment

Makes more sense.

Comment

• Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

Big picture-wise, I see this as a little troubling. Weeks after the PASSHE laid out the plan it is being changed substantially.

To me, this reflects a power struggle between the central office (PASSHE/Greenstein) and the individual institutions. In other words - politics and tribalism.

As far as Cal/Boro/Clarion goes, will integrating 3 struggling institutions result in a greater product? If so, how? Are these schools complementary to an extent that combined they end up greater than the sum of their individual parts?

The online program was already in place for 2 of the schools so they have just added a 3rd to the mix. Plus, that is a test program with the idea that it could be expanded to include the entire system, so it isn't something that belongs to the three schools.

Who balked at the initial realignment? Did SRU feel that they have a good thing going and not want to get involved with Boro? Or something else?

Does this open the door to a much stronger combo between IUP and SRU? IUP and SRU have greater strengths, respectively than the other western schools and they complement each other more.

As I've said before, the academic cooperation between IUP and SRU goes way back. At a certain point, they became "sister schools." They have cooperated much more in terms of academics than any other part of the system. IUP/SRU would have the potential to be a really strong entity. In the future, if there is a name change for IUP that might be a good thing. Of course, SRU's name seems to be a strength. (and, no, I wouldn't want to become an alumnus of Slippery Rock in the future if that's what you're thinking, lol.)

Ultimately, I think this all is better coordinated centrally and I would hate to see the progress Greenstein seemed to be making derailed.
                        Slimey Pebble would be a branch campus of IUP.

Comment

I don't have much inside info. As I understand it, right now the plan is that on the ground level identity will be very much the same. But everything is on the table including a consolidated name change. Western PA University was mentioned to me.
                          Please let it be PENNSYLVANIA WESTERN UNIVERSITY. WPU isn't good as an abbreviation and Western PA says sad rust belt loud and clear. I've never been to BORO or CU. How do their athletic facilities compare to CAL ?

Comment

• Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post

Please let it be PENNSYLVANIA WESTERN UNIVERSITY. WPU isn't good as an abbreviation and Western PA says sad rust belt loud and clear. I've never been to BORO or CU. How do their athletic facilities compare to CAL ?
                            The empty Angelo Dome is obviously the nicest hoops facility of the three. Tippin (Clarion) had that mega renovation last year and it's much nicer that it was. Boro's gym reminds me of Hamer Hall.

I'd probably say the football stadiums are close to a wash. If I had to pick one I'd pick Adamson.

Comment

• Any word on the changes for the eastern schools?

Comment

• They should have done this in the first place!

Clarion, California and Edinboro universities are forming a partnership that could change the face of higher education in western Pennsylvania.expand high-quality educational opportunities for students throughout the region and beyond, position themselves for growth, and create greater efficienciesprovide great opportunitiessupporting our traditional and legacytruly uniquecould hold greater promisewelcome contributorenhance opportunities for students in Pennsylvania and beyond. The three universities already share successful academic programscreate a powerhouseserve our region even better, meeting the needs of all who will benefit from access to affordable, high quality educationa good fit for all three universities, given their histories of serving students with diverse economic backgrounds and offering them transformative experiences that lead them to places they may never have imaginedxcited about the possibilities

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X