X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Bart View Post

Sing "Nearer, my God, to Thee"
    The iceberg's on the starboard bow
    I actually think this is a good thing. Bloom hasn't experienced the enrollment challenges of the other two, but geographically speaking, they can collaborate and adjust to best serve that region. As was mentioned in the Lock Haven article, these schools don't have a lot of unrestricted assets to shift for market trends. Maybe its possible to pool limited funds on collaborative projects.

If the state was truly creative, they would have made the NWPA group Edinboro, Clarion, Penn State Behrend, and Pitt-Bradford then create a SWPA group that is Cal, Pitt Johnstown, and Penn State branches. Force Penn State Shenango and Beaver to work with Slippery Rock. Maybe even a South Central PA team of Shippensburg, Millersville, and Penn State Harrisburg. Maybe even Penn State Altoona. No use funding competing systems and that are comprised of competing entities. Unfortunately just like the "systems" there's nobody in the PDE with authority and capacity to make such a move. If there were, we probably would have seen more strategy years ago.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

I actually think this is a good thing. Bloom hasn't experienced the enrollment challenges of the other two, but geographically speaking, they can collaborate and adjust to best serve that region. As was mentioned in the Lock Haven article, these schools don't have a lot of unrestricted assets to shift for market trends. Maybe its possible to pool limited funds on collaborative projects.

If the state was truly creative, they would have made the NWPA group Edinboro, Clarion, Penn State Behrend, and Pitt-Bradford then create a SWPA group that is Cal, Pitt Johnstown, and Penn State branches. Force Penn State Shenango and Beaver to work with Slippery Rock. Maybe even a South Central PA team of Shippensburg, Millersville, and Penn State Harrisburg. Maybe even Penn State Altoona. No use funding competing systems and that are comprised of competing entities. Unfortunately just like the "systems" there's nobody in the PDE with authority and capacity to make such a move. If there were, we probably would have seen more strategy years ago.
      It may be good for the region, but I don't see how it benefits Bloom. Bloom is the 4th largest school in the conference, and has been doing just fine. If this goes through the process, they will lose something, maybe some majors. Bloom's president has been under fire, and there is a petition for his firing. He will cave to keep his job at the expense of the school.

Comment

It may be good for the region, but I don't see how it benefits Bloom. Bloom is the 4th largest school in the conference, and has been doing just fine. If this goes through the process, they will lose something, maybe some majors. Bloom's president has been under fire, and there is a petition for his firing. He will cave to keep his job at the expense of the school.
        I don't see where Bloomsburg is losing anything from the arrangement as it is presently being discussed. I think there is a fear of losing identity but nobody knows how it all plays out yet.

As far as the Bloom President I don't know anything about him. However, I read his statement after the COVID outbreak and found it a little strange. There was too much emphasis on "Go Huskies" considering the seriousness of the situation. What he said seemed inappropriate to me.

Comment

• Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

I don't see where Bloomsburg is losing anything from the arrangement as it is presently being discussed. I think there is a fear of losing identity but nobody knows how it all plays out yet.

As far as the Bloom President I don't know anything about him. However, I read his statement after the COVID outbreak and found it a little strange. There was too much emphasis on "Go Huskies" considering the seriousness of the situation. What he said seemed inappropriate to me.
          Bloom could lose jobs in a merger per discussions. As for Hanna, Covid is only part of his problem. He brought a lot of baggage with him.

Comment

Bloom could lose jobs in a merger per discussions. As for Hanna, Covid is only part of his problem. He brought a lot of baggage with him.
            Yes, but they're going to lose jobs anyway as part of the system mandate to increase the student to faculty ratio and eliminate underenrolled programs. At this point, I think we have to reluctantly embrace shedding jobs to help the longterm prospects of our schools.

Comment

Yes, but they're going to lose jobs anyway as part of the system mandate to increase the student to faculty ratio and eliminate underenrolled programs. At this point, I think we have to reluctantly embrace shedding jobs to help the longterm prospects of our schools.
              That sounds like how the real world works.

Comment

Not going to happen for any number of reasons, but hypothetically, what would stop PASSHE from selling Edinboro, Clarion, Cal, LHU and Mansfield to either Penn State or Pitt? Probably have to be a package deal and they might have to sell them at a fire sale price but at least that would shift the problem from PASSHE which would let PASSHE focus it's efforts on its best performing institutions

Comment

• Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
                  Not going to happen for any number of reasons, but hypothetically, what would stop PASSHE from selling Edinboro, Clarion, Cal, LHU and Mansfield to either Penn State or Pitt? Probably have to be a package deal and they might have to sell them at a fire sale price but at least that would shift the problem from PASSHE which would let PASSHE focus it's efforts on its best performing institutions
                  The PASSHE is the governing body. It is the schools themselves. The Commonwealth of Pennsylvania owns them. So, it is the state that would have to sell them.

I think LHU, being halfway between PSU Main Campus and Penn College would be an asset to PSU. Some of the western schools could benefit Pitt. I think the PASSHE physical plant is superior to Pitt's branch campuses. I don't think anything is out of the question and something like this could happen.

Comment

• Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

The PASSHE is the governing body. It is the schools themselves. The Commonwealth of Pennsylvania owns them. So, it is the state that would have to sell them.

I think LHU, being halfway between PSU Main Campus and Penn College would be an asset to PSU. Some of the western schools could benefit Pitt. I think the PASSHE physical plant is superior to Pitt's branch campuses. I don't think anything is out of the question and something like this could happen.
                    I would imagine that the PASSHE schools would "lose their identity" in such a purchase which apparently is one of the major drivers of this exercise.

Comment

Usually acquisitions improve or diversify the buyer's portfolio. I don't see much benefit to Pitt or Penn State buying any of those campuses.

Edinboro: within the same county as Penn State Behrend, not far from failing Pitt Titusville

Clarion: Geographically close to nothing. Penn State DuBois is 30 minutes away but has no growth pattern at under 600 students.

Cal: annoyingly located if coming from beyond the Mon Valley or WashPa. Very close to struggling Penn State Fayette. Some albatross facilities.

Lock Haven: Williamsport to the East. State College to the South. Whole lotta nothing West or North. Penn College isn't hurting for space.

Mansfield: major facilities issues. Major location issues. Probably the most isolated of the 14 schools.

I actually see Pitt and Penn State closing some of their outlet shops. I get this second and third hand, but some are becoming glorified distance learning centers. PASSHE campuses are mostly in rural small towns. Pitt and Penn State campuses are mostly in declining industrial towns.

Comment

Usually acquisitions improve or diversify the buyer's portfolio. I don't see much benefit to Pitt or Penn State buying any of those campuses.

Edinboro: within the same county as Penn State Behrend, not far from failing Pitt Titusville

Clarion: Geographically close to nothing. Penn State DuBois is 30 minutes away but has no growth pattern at under 600 students.

Cal: annoyingly located if coming from beyond the Mon Valley or WashPa. Very close to struggling Penn State Fayette. Some albatross facilities.

Lock Haven: Williamsport to the East. State College to the South. Whole lotta nothing West or North. Penn College isn't hurting for space.

Mansfield: major facilities issues. Major location issues. Probably the most isolated of the 14 schools.

I actually see Pitt and Penn State closing some of their outlet shops. I get this second and third hand, but some are becoming glorified distance learning centers. PASSHE campuses are mostly in rural small towns. Pitt and Penn State campuses are mostly in declining industrial towns.
                        Then such a purchase makes sense for Penn State and Pitt. It would give them locations with better physical plant and allow them to close some failing "distance learning centers" and consolidate at these new (to them) campuses.

Comment

Good points but I would stick with my earlier post.

Something to think about: Penn College was formerly Williamsport Area Community College. How did it work when PSU acquired WACC? Did they buy it? Was it some kind of "transfer" on the state fiscal balance sheet?

That would be interesting to look at given the current conversation.

P.S. This could also apply to PSU's acquisition of the Dickinson School of Law. What was the process?

P.S. #2: Don't these state-related schools and PSU have some responsibility to the taxpayers of PA in exchange for their own sizeable state subsidies?
                          Last edited by iupgroundhog; 09-17-2020, 11:50 AM.

Comment

You know what PA doesn't have that a lot of other states have? A true Technical college...Not as in a JUCO that teaches "Engineering Technology" or welding, I mean a true technical college that focusing on producting engineers, scientists and other high technology professionals. I wonder if one of the PASSHE colleges could not be converted to the "Pennsylvania Polytechnical Institute" with a sole and intensive focus on producing graduates from STEM programs.
                            Maybe not exactly what you mean, but IUP is breaking ground next week on a new science/math building.
                            Indiana University of Pennsylvania�s Council of Trustees approved the naming of the College of Natural Sciences and Mathematics and the future facility for the sciences in honor of alumni Dr. John and Char Kopchick.
                            http://www.indianagazette.com
                            www.twitter.com/MattBurglund

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

That sounds like how the real world works.
                              In the real world there is uncontrolled debt, corporate crime and scandals, 69 Fortune 500 companies that pay no taxes, Covid, death, etc. Colleges and universities are already part of this real world.

Comment

If every SSHE school is going to lose jobs anyway, why have mergers to prop up some schools? Bloom just happens to be in the wrong geographical location and tool close to LHU and Mansfield. Bloom would survive without them.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X