Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Bart View Post

In the real world there is uncontrolled debt, corporate crime and scandals, 69 Fortune 500 companies that pay no taxes, Covid, death, etc. Colleges and universities are already part of this real world.
    Quite a few schools with uncontrolled debt, executive scandal, excessive salaries among their executive employees and the majority of public and private colleges/universities pay no taxes (corporate, income OR property).

Comment

• Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

Quite a few schools with uncontrolled debt, executive scandal, excessive salaries among their executive employees and the majority of public and private colleges/universities pay no taxes (corporate, income OR property).
      That's the point-the real world is everywhere. There are no bubbles where people get out of this world unscathed and alive, so you'll see when you grow up and get out in the real world isn't the answer.

Comment

If every SSHE school is going to lose jobs anyway, why have mergers to prop up some schools? Bloom just happens to be in the wrong geographical location and tool close to LHU and Mansfield. Bloom would survive without them.
        Right but the other two hit the iceberg. Somebody has to play life boat.

Comment

That's the point-the real world is everywhere. There are no bubbles where people get out of this world unscathed and alive, so you'll see when you grow up and get out in the real world isn't the answer.
          Big dIfference between the college as a business entity and the on-campus life of a student. Does the "real world" infringe from time to time? Sure, but not very often.

Comment

Big dIfference between the college as a business entity and the on-campus life of a student. Does the "real world" infringe from time to time? Sure, but not very often.
            Some say the same about the prison business where many people make very good money to do little, and inmates watch tv and lift weights all day.

Comment

Some say the same about the prison business where many people make very good money to do little, and inmates watch tv and lift weights all day.
              Prisons are the backbone of the rural economy.
              Prisons are the new plantations.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

Prisons are the backbone of the rural economy.
                Prisons are the new plantations.
                Don't want to go to jail, don't break the law.

Comment

Colleges are like prisons??

Comment

Colleges are like prisons??
                    In the sense that both make money by creating a product. In college the student learns job skills and becomes enlightened. In prison the goal is to take a criminal and rehabilitate him into a law abiding citizen. Is this real life or just a fantasy? Either way we buy the promises they sell.

Comment

In the sense that both make money by creating a product. In college the student learns job skills and becomes enlightened. In prison the goal is to take a criminal and rehabilitate him into a law abiding citizen. Is this real life or just a fantasy? Either way we buy the promises they sell.
                      And they both provide good paying jobs in otherwise sleepy rural areas, so any potential closing is fought tooth and nail.

Comment

Don't want to go to jail, don't break the law.
                        You can break the law and not go to jail Or only go for a few months if you are white with money or connections and vote Republican. See Brock Taylor.

Also cops who break the law rarely go to jail.
                        Last edited by IUPNation; 09-18-2020, 07:09 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

You can break the law and not go to jail Or only go for a few months if you are white with money or connections and vote Republican. See Brock Taylor.

Also cops who break the law rarely go to jail.
                          100% of the people in jail have been found to have broken the law. You don't want to go to jail, don't break the law. Or cut a deal...See Ray Lewis.

Cops don't go to prison?? I refer you to this: https://www.ranker.com/list/ex-cops-...n/ranker-crime But I'm sure you will dismiss it as irrelevent and then call me a white police racist. Facts are just sooo very inconvenient!

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

And they both provide good paying jobs in otherwise sleepy rural areas, so any potential closing is fought tooth and nail.
                            I see what you did there! Keeping with the theme, if "enrollment" were down 50%, I would say close it and send the inmates to another instutution.

Comment

I see what you did there! Keeping with the theme, if "enrollment" were down 50%, I would say close it and send the inmates to another instutution.
                              Typically I agree, but I bring it up because similarly any job loss will be fought tooth and nail.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

Typically I agree, but I bring it up because similarly any job loss will be fought tooth and nail.
                                Yep...Anytime there is a "makework" project that an area has become dependent on, people (and the politicians that represent them) will argue that it not be shut down. But just because an area depends on it for work doesn't mean it should remain open,,,be it a prison or a local university.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X