Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

Yea...And not every Trump supporter is a racist...and not every cop is out to executing blacks...and not every conservative white male is a homophobe...etc... But if you watch certain national cable news outlets and Social Media "influencers," you might be inclined to reach a different conclusion.
    If you only ingest news talk and not news reporting, you're only ingesting somebody else's opinion. And VERY little news reporting is being ingested. Newspaper readership is plummeting. National news reporting broadcasts are suffering huge ratings declines. But news talk is a HUGE money maker. They make ratings by generating viewership - not for winning awards on accuracy or fairness. We got rid of cable almost 10 years ago and I'm better for it. We watch local news in the morning and CBS This Morning a little after. They do a pretty good job of reporting and along with some analysis. But its not one person spouting off opinion with a guest who confirms the host's bias.

The narrative that the media is the enemy of the people is dangerous. It means that a lot of people won't trust the truth even when its presented to them. If things don't settle down, we're headed for crisis.

Comment

Here's a question. If you had the choice between:

A. Your college stays the same with sinking enrollment and all the other problems, and a very real chance of completely closing in 5 years BUT they keep their name and full slate of athletics, OR

B. They merge with two other schools which increases dramatically the chance that there will be a functioning college in its current town BUT they have to sacrifice their name and most if not all athletics.

Which do you choose??
      It's a great question. My heart wants A in hope that they turn around but B is the logical choice.

Several PASSHE schools were already in recovery mode heading into the spring before Covid hit. Edinboro was on track for its largest and highest achieving freshman class in several years only to lose almost 10% when they announced they were doing an online fall semester. I'd love to know where those students went.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

It's a great question. My heart wants A in hope that they turn around but B is the logical choice.

Several PASSHE schools were already in recovery mode heading into the spring before Covid hit. Edinboro was on track for its largest and highest achieving freshman class in several years only to lose almost 10% when they announced they were doing an online fall semester. I'd love to know where those students went.
        Yeah, but this is the realization of what we've been talking about for the last several years. Now people are sorry it's happening.

The recent positive numbers at Edinboro also apply to LHU. But who knows if it is the beginning of a longer-term trend?

Plus, COVID has changed everything. Is there any doubt that future state appropriations will be lower than the already declining ones? The system is better served by making changes now in advance of the aftermath of this pandemic.

None of this is good. It won't be the way it was. Unfortunately.
        Last edited by iupgroundhog; 09-28-2020, 10:22 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

Yeah, but this is the realization of what we've been talking about for the last several years. Now people are sorry it's happening.

The recent positive numbers at Edinboro also apply to LHU. But who knows if it is the beginning of a longer-term trend?

Plus, COVID has changed everything. Is there any doubt that future state appropriations will be lower than the already declining ones? The system is better served by making changes now in advance of the aftermath of this pandemic.

I agree. It's not the innovation I hoped this chancellor would bring but I also don't think its foolish. Outside of West Chester, the PASSHE schools don't have much in terms of reserves. It used to be something schools used for rainy day building projects or unexpected expenses, but lately they've been chipping away each year to plug budget deficits. To me, that's the most attractive byproduct of the staff reductions - some financial flexibility. If COVID doesn't go away, or infections spike again, I don't know how long the system can bail out schools who need money to refund fees. Those fees pay for things (and people) who can't just be discarded.

Comment

Here's a question. If you had the choice between:

A. Your college stays the same with sinking enrollment and all the other problems, and a very real chance of completely closing in 5 years BUT they keep their name and full slate of athletics, OR

B. They merge with two other schools which increases dramatically the chance that there will be a functioning college in its current town BUT they have to sacrifice their name and most if not all athletics.

Which do you choose??
            The Chancellor talked about how in the business world, they look at mergers much sooner when businesses aren't doing well. In higher ed, it's almost like schools want to go out of business before they make changes.

He also talked about how the costs of closing a school could be in the $100+ million range. So closing 1 could really hurt the entire system. It sounds like they absolutely don't want to close schools.

On B, I'm not so sure they have to sacrifice their name. It's possible they do, but not a certainty. He did talk about 1 accreditation for the 3 schools integrating. What that means? They're still determining the course. So a lot of things are unknown and still to be determined. It sounds like there are certain paths they have to go for accreditation. Like it sounds like they may spin up a new entity and make the schools under that. What that looks like? Stay tuned.

Comment

And these integrations will take several years. So you start now with a target of 2-3 years out. I think what necessitated it is there are about 5 schools that the Chancellor said they're worried about survival for...meaning they won't be able to balance their budget into the future.

Comment

I agree. It's not the innovation I hoped this chancellor would bring but I also don't think its foolish. Outside of West Chester, the PASSHE schools don't have much in terms of reserves. It used to be something schools used for rainy day building projects or unexpected expenses, but lately they've been chipping away each year to plug budget deficits. To me, that's the most attractive byproduct of the staff reductions - some financial flexibility. If COVID doesn't go away, or infections spike again, I don't know how long the system can bail out schools who need money to refund fees. Those fees pay for things (and people) who can't just be discarded.
                Great post! And it sounds like PASSHE has 1 bank account.

As far as innovation, like Henry Ford said...if he listened to the people, he would have built a faster horse. The mergers are ways to cut cost and maybe offer certain programs in areas that don't have them. I don't know that it innovates or really revolutionizes education.

Comment

I was thinking this last week when IUP broke ground on a new $90 million building.

Comment

• Got some additional info from VP level and above folks at a few PASSHE schools.

Deloitte is doing a financial analysis of the 6 schools involved in possible integration along with examining what savings are possible for each partnership. Their findings will be reported to the PASSHE board in October.

Since the details of the integrations aren't worked out, there's concern about having enough time to learn how to market the new configurations. It's possible that the schools will ask that the timeline be bumped back a bit to research if public perception is worth considering.

The model is undecided right now and could look differently from the other integration model. It's possible that a silent integration happens (similar to a corporation owning several distinct brands of similar products) or a full on merger with name changes.

Comment

Yea...And not every Trump supporter is a racist...and not every cop is out to executing blacks...and not every conservative white male is a homophobe...etc... But if you watch certain national cable news outlets and Social Media "influencers," you might be inclined to reach a different conclusion.
                      I've NEVER made any of those claims, although I don't know ANY Conservative white males who AREN'T homophobes...

Comment

Got some additional info from VP level and above folks at a few PASSHE schools.

The model is undecided right now and could look differently from the other integration model. It's possible that a silent integration happens (similar to a corporation owning several distinct brands of similar products) or a full on merger with name changes.
                        I still like Bloomfield Haven. Sounds like a nursing home but at least it's inclusive.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Twenty years ago IUP had its branch campus in Kittanning. Essentially, if you couldn't get in to IUP main campus entering your freshman year (or if they were at capacity), they would offer to start you there for a year. If it worked out, you'd then move to Indiana. I actually had several friends that went to Cal and Clarion rather than spend the year in Kittanning. So, I certainly agree with you there is a bad stigma toward a 'branch campus'.

Granted, that was back when we had, albeit low, academic standards for admission -- but, still some standards (unlike today).
                          When I was at IUP, they had 2 branch campuses. There was one in Punxsutawney where they would send graduate students out to teach.

Comment

I still like Bloomfield Haven. Sounds like a nursing home but at least it's inclusive.
                            You know what would be a kicker? If they combined their athletics departments and bumped up

Comment

I like Bloomsburg University's Haven Campus and Field Campus.

Comment

• Another model that relates to athletics I forgot about is Fairleigh Dickinson. One campus competes at the D1/FCS level, the other at the D3 level. Similar models exist with the Southern Illinois campuses (FBS and FCS) and formerly at LIU (FCS and D2). Could you imagine if Bloomsburg goes D1/FCS and Lock Haven and Mansfield go D3? I wonder if they'd allow Lock Haven to stay D1 in wrestling and pool the Bloom wrestling funds with Lock Haven. That would be something!

But...I don't see how this saves much from the current scenario. Scholarships aren't internally funded and I see APSCUF successfully helping coaches benchmark salaries against their D1 & D2 members rather than the D3 benchmarks.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X