Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    SNL will be must-watch TV tomorrow night.
    SNL hasn't been consistently funny since Beluchi and Radner left.

Comment

• Some people want to argue about other Universities closing, being in debt, etc... BUT if you watched the Senator debate for the 49th district Tuesday night, current Senator Dan Laughlin said Edinboro University is operating in the red and has been for years. Certain people don't want to believe that cuts are coming!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

Consistently, I'd agree. But, it has its moments.

Comment

Consistently, I'd agree. But, it has its moments.
          First few years with the first NRFPTP was just about the funniest thing I had ever seen! From the opening skit to the closing credits just bit after bit o roll on the floor stuff!!

Yea...Some individual bits have been funny. But there have been loooonnnnggg stretches were it has been almost painful to watch. Almost like watching your dad tell a joke he thinks is funny and no one gets it or laughs...you feel uncomfortable and sad at the same time.
          Last edited by boatcapt; 10-02-2020, 01:02 PM.

Comment

• I'm wondering how many TV shows have been on the air for 45 years.

Comment

• https://www.indianagazette.com/news/...a4183a9d6.html

Comment

• After reading this article I have changed my position on what PASSHE is doing.

PASSHE is a system. That's what the second S stands for. It needs to solve the problems as a system. The fact is, cutting all these faculty from schools that have lost enrollment will only make those schools less competitive, thereby accelerating the enrollment declines. Will these "retrenchments" save money or will it just turn it into a downward spiral by decreasing future revenues further?

The article does a good job of comparing the PASSHE to the state-relateds and other private schools in terms of student/faculty ratio.

Maybe the PASSHE member schools should sue the state for not funding them adequately. Any plans coming out of Harrisburg can't cause more harm than good and I think that might be the direction this is going.

A bigger problem than cutting faculty is cutting programs. The plan for Bloomfield Haven cuts academic programs at LH in a way that really guts the school. The end result of that is even lower enrollment and the eventual dissolution of the school. Especially because it is a small school, anyway. IUP might be able to absorb the cuts better and avoid cutting a lot of programs.

When I was an Economics major at IUP, Economics was not a real popular major. Most of my upper-level classes ranged between 8-12 students in a class. It was great - a handful of kids in the class learning from Ivy League-trained economists. Would that program be a candidate for closure due to low enrollment? But that department has produced a large number of students who went on to obtain a Ph.D. in Economics ( I am not one of them). Shouldn't the quality of the program be considered and not just numerical ratios?

Maybe the answer is to break up the system and let each school make it or break it on their own. Then, nobody can blame Harrisburg.
                Last edited by iupgroundhog; 10-02-2020, 04:48 PM.

Comment

• Replying to previous post - A lot of good points. Cuts do save money, but also can reduce quality. And I'm sure some quality has been reduced. And schools get rid of services, software, etc to save money sometimes to not reduce employees. And these schools generally dont look at process maturity and improving efficiency and customer service.

There are some programs at these schools with 5-10 kids apparantly. That's one case. I think it's hard to arbitrarily cut down to a number like passhe is mandating. You might be able to end really low enrollment programs and not hurt quality, but I doubt that eliminates 100 employees. It's really a case by case basis.

I wouldnt be surprised if one day, there were like 1 or 2 English programs in the system. Ie each school didnt have their own. Maybe they have a small number of faculty on each campus for in person.

And, there are a bunch of moving parts. You have the mandate to cut down to 2010 ratios. Then you have the 3 school mergers. Then you have shared services like Purchasing that will serve half the state each. Then the schools are pooling purchasing so that will likely mean buying from big companies and not local vendors...and its debatable if it will save on costs. Then the state lost a lot of revenue from covid. Then you have each school doing sustainability plans that are basically standalone.

Just A LOT of moving parts. And when you integrate several schools and share services, process and procedures and standardizing becomes more important. The schools do things different now in many cases. They use different systems.

The Chsncellor is very smart and motivated and the financial situations basically have forced drastic change for survival. In the absence of more state funding, it's going to be tough though. If anyone can do it, it's the Chancellor though. Sometimes visionaries are the only one to see a vision initially.

Comment

• Originally posted by complaint_hopeful View Post
                    Replying to previous post - A lot of good points. Sometimes visionaries are the only one to see a vision initially.
                    Thanks.

Comment

Yea...reality...Like how MSNBC and CNN continue to insist that the protests are peaceful? Or maybe how BLM insists that cops are targeting unarmed blacks for execution??
                      Fox News is Fake News for bigoted idiots.

Comment

Twenty years ago IUP had its branch campus in Kittanning. Essentially, if you couldn't get in to IUP main campus entering your freshman year (or if they were at capacity), they would offer to start you there for a year. If it worked out, you'd then move to Indiana. I actually had several friends that went to Cal and Clarion rather than spend the year in Kittanning. So, I certainly agree with you there is a bad stigma toward a 'branch campus'.

Granted, that was back when we had, albeit low, academic standards for admission -- but, still some standards (unlike today).
                        Last edited by IUPNation; 10-03-2020, 08:22 AM.

Comment

Then I would postulate that you live in a very odd area! I have conservative white male friend who are homosexuals and many who are anything but homophobes.

Comment

Call me shocked. Not one Debate comment today.
                            I refused to watch it because I knew Coronahontas would be an out of control bully.

But is that who anyone really wants as the leader of the country?

Comment

Comment

• Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X