Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

IUP positions itself somewhere in the middle - or in both worlds. Low grade imitation? Perhaps.

However, this doesn't apply to IUP in the same way. IUP has a lot of students involved in research. Plus, the graduate school is keeping IUP afloat.
    This fall, the graduate school is keeping prodigal son Slippery Rock afloat too.

Comment

• The population cliff meets Covid cocktail is hurting beyond Pennsylvania. I just saw that Ithaca College, a private liberal arts college with a national reputation and a $350M endowment, is eliminating 130 full time faculty jobs and cutting dozens of programs. Rough time to be a young college professor.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
        The population cliff meets Covid cocktail is hurting beyond Pennsylvania. I just saw that Ithaca College, a private liberal arts college with a national reputation and a $350M endowment, is eliminating 130 full time faculty jobs and cutting dozens of programs. Rough time to be a young college professor.
        Interesting. Ithaca is a great school. I wonder if they have a similar geography problem as some of the PASSHE. Ithaca is pretty remote and it's not Cornell.

Comment

• So Chancellor Dan went in front of the PA House today for a hearing on the Integrations. I caught some of it.

Seemed like a lot of pro-Union questions questioning layoffs/class sizes/community impact. Also, there were a couple questions concerned that these integrations will steal enrollment from community colleges. ie They don't want other areas they provide state support to hurt.

They asked Dan about how the Institutions will work as far as leadership. He said 1 President for 3 schools. The rest of the Leadership structure is tbd.

I guess he's going to have to report quarterly on this stuff.

Video should be archived here:
          http://www.pahousegop.com/Video/LatestVideo

Comment

• Originally posted by complaint_hopeful View Post
            So Chancellor Dan went in front of the PA House today for a hearing on the Integrations. I caught some of it.

Seemed like a lot of pro-Union questions questioning layoffs/class sizes/community impact. Also, there were a couple questions concerned that these integrations will steal enrollment from community colleges. ie They don't want other areas they provide state support to hurt.

They asked Dan about how the Institutions will work as far as leadership. He said 1 President for 3 schools. The rest of the Leadership structure is tbd.

I guess he's going to have to report quarterly on this stuff.

Video should be archived here:
            http://www.pahousegop.com/Video/LatestVideo
            Thanks,

The Bloodbath is beginning at IUP, and I assume the other schools losing faculty. When the cuts at the merging schools are announced, it will be easier to tell how the mergers will work.

Comment

• Yeah, it doesn't sound like the legislators are supportive of this idea.

https://www.pennlive.com/news/2020/1...-into-two.html

Comment

• The combination of Edinboro, Clarion and California could see $12 million in administrative savings beginning in the fiscal year 2023-24.The combination of Bloomsburg, Lock Haven and Mansfield would see almost $11 million in administrative savings that year, according to projections from the State System of Higher Education.

Estimates from the system show that despite an expected $120 million in stimulus funding, the State System universities still expect to take an $85 million financial hit due to lost revenue from having to close their campuses.
                https://www.tribdem.com/news/state-s...a4fcffcd7.html

Comment

• Originally posted by Bart View Post
                  The combination of Edinboro, Clarion and California could see $12 million in administrative savings beginning in the fiscal year 2023-24.The combination of Bloomsburg, Lock Haven and Mansfield would see almost $11 million in administrative savings that year, according to projections from the State System of Higher Education.

https://www.tribdem.com/news/state-s...a4fcffcd7.html
                  Interesting. If combining six universities into two is projected to save $23M, I wonder how much would be saved if ALL the PASSHE schools were combined into one school with "regional" campuses at the current locations of the universities?? Call it the University of Pennsylvania with each campus keeping their "name"...UP-Indiana, UP-Edinboro, UP-Cheyney, etc.

Comment

• Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
                    Interesting. If combining six universities into two is projected to save $23M, I wonder how much would be saved if ALL the PASSHE schools were combined into one school with "regional" campuses at the current locations of the universities?? Call it the University of Pennsylvania with each campus keeping their "name"...UP-Indiana, UP-Edinboro, UP-Cheyney, etc.
                    Unfortunately UP and PSU logos are taken which leaves PU which .....it really stinks !!

Comment

I think Penn will have an issue with that....

Comment

• Edinboro announced their program cuts. Nothing surprising except maybe history, but it says there are just 9 majors out of 4,400 students. Nothing to the fine arts as was the scuttlebutt.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

I think Penn will have an issue with that....
                          OK...Call it State University of Pennsylvania (SUP) or maybe Keystone State University (KSU).

Comment

OK...Call it State University of Pennsylvania (SUP) or maybe Keystone State University (KSU).
                            IUP was supposed to be The Western Pennsylvania State University when it assumed its role as the Flagship but became IUP instead.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

IUP was supposed to be The Western Pennsylvania State University when it assumed its role as the Flagship but became IUP instead.
                              Pitt still held rights under their original name, Western University of Pennsylvania. Everything I've read suggests that somehow Pitt objected to the name change. I can't find it in writing anywhere, but a higher ed professor I know suggested that in 1965 while the Pitt and Temple bailouts were in negotiation and IUP became a university, a proposed model had now PASSHE schools divided into three regions with a state related leading that region, so IUP would have been under Pitt.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

Pitt still held rights under their original name, Western University of Pennsylvania. Everything I've read suggests that somehow Pitt objected to the name change. I can't find it in writing anywhere, but a higher ed professor I know suggested that in 1965 while the Pitt and Temple bailouts were in negotiation and IUP became a university, a proposed model had now PASSHE schools divided into three regions with a state related leading that region, so IUP would have been under Pitt.
                                I've heard the local pols insisted on keeping Indiana in the name because they didn't want to lose identity. Imagine that..

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X