Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Point Park University Launches Smooth Transition Program to Assist PASSHE Transfer Students | Point Park University | Pittsburgh, PA

Point Park University has launched the Smooth Transition program to help students in the Pennsylvania State System of Higher Education who may be impacted by mergers, restructuring and the elimination of majors and programs.

Comment

• Originally posted by complaint_hopeful View Post
      Point Park University Launches Smooth Transition Program to Assist PASSHE Transfer Students | Point Park University | Pittsburgh, PA

Point Park University has launched the Smooth Transition program to help students in the Pennsylvania State System of Higher Education who may be impacted by mergers, restructuring and the elimination of majors and programs.
      Smart move on their part.

Comment

• Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

Smart move on their part.
        Their president is an Edinboro graduate.

But in all seriousness, Point Park is struggling too. They too hit peak enrollment around 2010 and spent a lot on facilities. Their challenge is that they're an urban campus so property is extra expensive. Their enrollment is down 12% in the last decade and have also added niche programs like esports.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

Their president is an Edinboro graduate.

But in all seriousness, Point Park is struggling too. They too hit peak enrollment around 2010 and spent a lot on facilities. Their challenge is that they're an urban campus so property is extra expensive. Their enrollment is down 12% in the last decade and have also added niche programs like esports.
          I know some schools that would LOVE to have that!!!

Comment

I know some schools that would LOVE to have that!!!
            They're in BIG TIME construction debt. Spent most of the last 20 years acquiring and renovating buildings along Boulevard of the Allies. They just spent over $50 million relocating the Pittsburgh playhouse from the Oakland neighborhood to campus. And then Covid hit so nobody is coming to see their ballet and theater shows to help alleviate the burden of that debt. Academically, beyond the dance/ballet program (which is niche to begin with) their only noteworthy program is in journalism, not exactly a field that has attractive job prospects to a 17 year old, a demo that is at a historic low for likeliness to read a newspaper, watch the news, or listen to broadcast radio. All other programs are rather "blah" - plus they're in a part of downtown that is D-E-A-D at night. Commuting costs are expensive due to parking. Commuter pass to many schools is around $250 a semester - at Point Park the cheapest commuter parking is across the river at Station Square, but for daytime you're looking at no less than $250 a month for commuter parking. I have a mentee who worked for PPU in grad school and says that a lot of "commuters" would catch a ride with a parent who worked downtown and mooch their parking lease. It's not attractive to the kid looking to commute from Shaler.

Comment

They're in BIG TIME construction debt. Spent most of the last 20 years acquiring and renovating buildings along Boulevard of the Allies. They just spent over $50 million relocating the Pittsburgh playhouse from the Oakland neighborhood to campus. And then Covid hit so nobody is coming to see their ballet and theater shows to help alleviate the burden of that debt. Academically, beyond the dance/ballet program (which is niche to begin with) their only noteworthy program is in journalism, not exactly a field that has attractive job prospects to a 17 year old, a demo that is at a historic low for likeliness to read a newspaper, watch the news, or listen to broadcast radio. All other programs are rather "blah" - plus they're in a part of downtown that is D-E-A-D at night. Commuting costs are expensive due to parking. Commuter pass to many schools is around $250 a semester - at Point Park the cheapest commuter parking is across the river at Station Square, but for daytime you're looking at no less than $250 a month for commuter parking. I have a mentee who worked for PPU in grad school and says that a lot of "commuters" would catch a ride with a parent who worked downtown and mooch their parking lease. It's not attractive to the kid looking to commute from Shaler.
              All that and I find the tone of that program to be rather crass. I mean, explicitly trying to exploit the PASSHE situation by bribing kids to come to their poorly rated school. And that degree probably isn't worth more than the state schools'. Not to mention the basic premise that the students at the affected PASSHE schools are having their academic lives turned upside down which is not the case at all.

Comment

• Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

All that and I find the tone of that program to be rather crass. I mean, explicitly trying to exploit the PASSHE situation by bribing kids to come to their poorly rated school. And that degree probably isn't worth more than the state schools'. Not to mention the basic premise that the students at the affected PASSHE schools are having their academic lives turned upside down which is not the case at all.
                I remember somthing similar being offered by Mercyhurst and Seton Hill when Wheeling was having problems.

Comment

I remember somthing similar being offered by Mercyhurst and Seton Hill when Wheeling was having problems.
                  Yes. I know some schools went after Art Institute kids when it abruptly closed a few years ago.

Comment

• Comment

One of my friends kids went there for a year ... hated it. It baffles me how they get kids to go there.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

One of my friends kids went there for a year ... hated it. It baffles me how they get kids to go there.
                        My mentee HATED working there. I've met the president a few times - he's a good guy. I think they are in a sh*t sandwich situation and one day will merge with another private independent school around Pittsburgh such as Chatham or RMU. They and RMU had very similar beginnings (business school to junior college to college) but RMU bought an estate in Moon and eventually went all-in on the traditional campus experience while Point Park continued to focus on commuters.

Comment

My mentee HATED working there. I've met the president a few times - he's a good guy. I think they are in a sh*t sandwich situation and one day will merge with another private independent school around Pittsburgh such as Chatham or RMU. They and RMU had very similar beginnings (business school to junior college to college) but RMU bought an estate in Moon and eventually went all-in on the traditional campus experience while Point Park continued to focus on commuters.
                          As you said that's a tough -- and expensive -- commute during the business day.

Comment

• Lock Haven President leaving his position to work for PASSHE.

https://www.lockhaven.com/news/local...n-with-passhe/

Comment

• Originally posted by Bart View Post
                              Lock Haven President leaving his position to work for PASSHE.

No word on who will be the interim. I fully expected to read that the Bloomsburg president would be that person similar to what they did with Edinboro.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bart View Post
                                Lock Haven President leaving his position to work for PASSHE.

I'm not sure what to make of it at this point. Just raises questions.

#1 - doesn't this just add an executive position (salary) when the idea is to go economy?

#2 - is this a promotion for Pignatello? Does it place him in even a more influential position within the system than the Bloom President?

#3 - does he have responsibilities system-wide or is it only for the Bloom-LH-Mansfield group?

#4 - I think Pignatello is definitely deserving - but is this the result of him (or others) forcing Greenstein's hand? The Chancellor seems to be on the defensive a lot.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X