Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
    Transportation-wise, the setup in PA is somewhat similar to higher ed. You have PennDOT which oversees tens of thousands of miles of roads. Then you have the Turnpike Commission, a state agency like PASSHE that can kind of set its own rules. So there's two competing roads organizations. The Turnpike Commission is notoriously poorly managed with crazy debt service that is getting in their way of keeping up their roads.
    This whole state needs a total reorganization.

I will say the Turnpike is kept better than the roads PennDot oversee around here. The shoulders on the Turnpike are always debris free. The fix the potholes faster too. Maybe that's why they charge us more, I just want to know why I go through my EZPass balance faster than people further west.

US 202 from King of Prussia to West Chester...which has been rebuilt over the past 20 years...has so much debris on the shoulders. The potholes that open up take forever to fill.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

Well Democrats want a 15 dollar an hour minimum wage but Qpublicans claim it will kill jobs. The minimum wage should have tied to inflation years ago and be adjusted yearly. Funny how Qpublicans in Congress and in State Houses raise their pay for doing nothing but they sneezed at someone flipping burgers for wanting to make more than $7.25 an hour.

So why does the working class kerp voting Qpublican? Because hating on people seems to Trump ( pun intended) their economic well being.

These same people are now losing their **** over A toy potato losing its gender not that it had genitals to begin with and even if they did his parts were interchangeable...making him Transgender.
      I think it depends on the industry. Somewhere like McDonald's or a grocery store that pays employees $10 an hour that then has to pay the same worker to do the same work $15 will likely either have to lay some people off or cut hours.

Now somewhere like Walmart absolutely could pay $15 an hour to workers. It will just cut into their massive profits somewhat.

So not a 1 size fits all.

I was reading about how the gov manipulates interest rates to make the economy look better. Which is one of the reason stocks are rising. But, interest rates are near 0% now and they printed a lot of money to put out there.

So lowering interest rates and printing money generally helps wealthier people and hurts poorer and middle class people. In general.

Now, these conditions also setup conditions for hyperinflation. Couple that with rising cost of goods when companies have to pay everyone $15 and some interesting market forces might happen. Really bad ones.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
        Transportation-wise, the setup in PA is somewhat similar to higher ed. You have PennDOT which oversees tens of thousands of miles of roads. Then you have the Turnpike Commission, a state agency like PASSHE that can kind of set its own rules. So there's two competing roads organizations. The Turnpike Commission is notoriously poorly managed with crazy debt service that is getting in their way of keeping up their roads.
        Ha! That's a good comparision. And look at all the bridges in the state in disrepair.

Then, the colleges are townships and boroughs who kind of do what they want with their roads.

Comment

This whole state needs a total reorganization.

I will say the Turnpike is kept better than the roads PennDot oversee around here. The shoulders on the Turnpike are always debris free. The fix the potholes faster too. Maybe that's why they charge us more, I just want to know why I go through my EZPass balance faster than people further west.

US 202 from King of Prussia to West Chester...which has been rebuilt over the past 20 years...has so much debris on the shoulders. The potholes that open up take forever to fill.
          Yes! Really...what part of government operates well?

The entire pandemic was basically people saying 'The federal gov can't tell me what to do! My party does things better.' But, really...both sides were a mess.

I read people saying, look at all the doses of vaccine being produced! We'll be vaccinated by <insert date>. But, some states are doing a terrible job of distribution.

Look at the post office. Look at roads like you pointed out. Look at how messed up the welfare system is. Look how bad the unemployment system was for those that needed it and had to wait weeks and weeks.

Comment

• Originally posted by complaint_hopeful View Post

I think it depends on the industry. Somewhere like McDonald's or a grocery store that pays employees $10 an hour that then has to pay the same worker to do the same work $15 will likely either have to lay some people off or cut hours.

Now somewhere like Walmart absolutely could pay $15 an hour to workers. It will just cut into their massive profits somewhat.

So not a 1 size fits all.

I was reading about how the gov manipulates interest rates to make the economy look better. Which is one of the reason stocks are rising. But, interest rates are near 0% now and they printed a lot of money to put out there.

So lowering interest rates and printing money generally helps wealthier people and hurts poorer and middle class people. In general.

Now, these conditions also setup conditions for hyperinflation. Couple that with rising cost of goods when companies have to pay everyone $15 and some interesting market forces might happen. Really bad ones.
            Costco starts at $16 an hour plus they offer pretty solid benefits for hourly retail. Nationally, in-store employees actually average $24/hour. It doesn't affect their prices. Their founders also aren't billionaires. My local Costco closed an hour earlier one day and every employee was given a free flu shot out of the pharmacy. Walmart isn't doing that. I think it comes down to what the corporate focus is on: maximizing customer value or maximizing wealth. In all likelihood retail has been able to keep wages low by employing a young workforce. A 30 year old with a family isn't going to take a $11/hr retail job but an 18 year old will. Retail probably could have survived the internet and pandemic shopping trends better if they had employed a smaller workforce of higher-paid full-time employees who probably stick around longer and care more about their work than someone earning a paycheck to blow on their days off.

Comment

Well Democrats want a 15 dollar an hour minimum wage but Qpublicans claim it will kill jobs. The minimum wage should have tied to inflation years ago and be adjusted yearly. Funny how Qpublicans in Congress and in State Houses raise their pay for doing nothing but they sneezed at someone flipping burgers for wanting to make more than $7.25 an hour.

So why does the working class kerp voting Qpublican? Because hating on people seems to Trump ( pun intended) their economic well being.

These same people are now losing their **** over A toy potato losing its gender not that it had genitals to begin with and even if they did his parts were interchangeable...making him Transgender.
              Some would say they are malicious, but maybe they are just uneducated. They are what they were taught. It could be they survive by blaming others for not being strong enough on their own, expressing resentment against those who need help, and gaining recognition and a sense of self-worth by derogatory comments against others. I think most know their own failures, and that they can't count on anyone else to help them. They stay in the region for the same reason people from New York and Philadelphia move there; they know they can't make it anywhere else.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bart View Post

Some would say they are malicious, but maybe they are just uneducated. They are what they were taught. It could be they survive by blaming others for not being strong enough on their own, expressing resentment against those who need help, and gaining recognition and a sense of self-worth by derogatory comments against others. I think most know their own failures, and that they can't count on anyone else to help them. They stay in the region for the same reason people from New York and Philadelphia move there; they know they can't make it anywhere else.
                What always amazes me is the hatred and resentment for people who risk their lives and travel thousands of miles to find work and better their lives and the lives of their families while other people are content to sit on their behinds where they are and expect the work to come to them, regardless of whether where they are is out in the boonies or in the inner city.

Comment

• Originally posted by complaint_hopeful View Post

Yes! Really...what part of government operates well?

The entire pandemic was basically people saying 'The federal gov can't tell me what to do! My party does things better.' But, really...both sides were a mess.

I read people saying, look at all the doses of vaccine being produced! We'll be vaccinated by <insert date>. But, some states are doing a terrible job of distribution.

Look at the post office. Look at roads like you pointed out. Look at how messed up the welfare system is. Look how bad the unemployment system was for those that needed it and had to wait weeks and weeks.
                  Look how the makers of Lysol fared...a year later and supply is still spotty.

Look how electric deregulation fared in Texastan. One cold snap and the whole state collapsed. There are people who still don't have water service.

When one party goes around saying government can't do anything right to get elected and then makes it true by breaking it as fast as they can...they need to be tossed out of office. The Post Office is a mess because the GQP saddled it years ago by making them prepay their pension fund which nobody else in required to do and it s coincided with a drop in what they deliver thanks to email and the internets. Post Offices used to be kept up but since then they all have fallen into disrepair. Then put in DeJoy and it been totally wrecked. If you want to destroy a functioning government...elect a Qpublican.

Comment

How would they know if they never move? Plenty of Yinzers moved to the Philadelphia suburbs during the Yinzer Diaspora of the 80's and found a better life.

Now...because Pittsburgh didn't rest on it's laurels after the Steel mills closed and pivoted on it economy...something Detroit couldn't or wouldn't do....yinzers can actually try to move back and find good jobs in Pittsburgh. They aren't going to find them ever again in a place like Johnstown that can't seem to figure out what to do.....

Comment

How would they know if they never move? Plenty of Yinzers moved to the Philadelphia suburbs during the Yinzer Diaspora of the 80's and found a better life.

Now...because Pittsburgh didn't rest on it's laurels after the Steel mills closed and pivoted on it economy...something Detroit couldn't or wouldn't do....yinzers can actually try to move back and find good jobs in Pittsburgh. They aren't going to find them ever again in a place like Johnstown that can't seem to figure out what to do.....
                      Is it learned helplessness when they cannot fix themselves? Maybe they only have themselves to blame for their failures, but that smacks of self-righteousness. They do live with a lot of contradictions, but I acknowledged how economic inequality produces real suffering, and how the barriers to mobility are real.

Comment

Is it learned helplessness when they cannot fix themselves? Maybe they only have themselves to blame for their failures, but that smacks of self-righteousness. They do live with a lot of contradictions, but I acknowledged how economic inequality produces real suffering, and how the barriers to mobility are real.

I've always thought the freedom of movement is one of the greatest freedoms we have. It's not exercised by a lot of folks.

Lack of financial resources can be a barrier. There are others, of course, but the main barriers to mobility are fear of the unknown and complacency.

BTW, I see you're putting your philosophy degree to good use.

Comment

• Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

I've always thought the freedom of movement is one of the greatest freedoms we have. It's not exercised by a lot of folks.

Lack of financial resources can be a barrier. There are others, of course, but the main barriers to mobility are fear of the unknown and complacency.

BTW, I see you're putting your philosophy degree to good use.
                          I enjoy arguing, but I don't always believe in the side I take. In this case, I am on the side of the people with whom I was raised. I am sensitive to the hypocrisy of liberal elites who advocate for social justice while remaining blind to the casual cruelty inflicted on the people below them on the class ladder, even as I usually would vote for them. Many have turned to more conservative news outlets over the last decade,as the Democrats are perceived to have turned their back on the very people who need their support. Some view working class conservative politics as an obstacle to overcome without trying to understand them. Best to end here, but thanks to all for for participating.

Comment

https://www.cbo.gov/system/files/202...nimum-Wage.pdf

Comment

It should cost the same amount per mile the entire length. If they can explain why that I s I would like to know.
                              Just like a flat tax. Income should be taxed at the same rate per dollar earned, from dollar 1 on up. Awesome that we can find some common ground. Or should we due the "that's different because..."

Comment

• The PA Department of Health reports to the governor. Report your concerns here

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X