Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

LHU Virtual Town Hall on the 30th. This is all under the microscope so Greenstein's plan better be good. It better be great.

https://www.sungazette.com/news/top-...ual-town-hall/
    The Universities have no leverage in this. They think they do...but these schools have been failing financially for so long that some will be bankrupt within a few years if this Integration doesn't happen. In some cases, it's their only hope of survival. I'd say probably 4 schools fall into that category atleast especially with covid. Then, once some fail...the entire system will collapse.

That said, the Integration itself meaning the plan is a concern. As has been pointed out, not many details have been released. And the plan is going to have to be very good to work. There will be a price tag that is pretty high initially and we'll see how it gets funded. With that price tag, savings are going to be tough to come by early.

So instead of fighting this for political reasons, groups need to see this as a means of survival and help develop the plan..

There is a huge misconception that this is the Chancellors plan..It isn't. He's letting each triad develop it.
    Last edited by complaint_hopeful; 03-05-2021, 05:42 PM.

Comment

• Ok, so this is pretty earth-shaking. Dishes are falling off the shelf out in Mifflinburg.

I guess the benefit to Bloom is that they will get to have more administrators stay in town.

Hey, let's hope the NCAA allows for the schools to keep their full complements of intercollegiate sports. If they don't, what then?

At least LHU will likely get to keep all of their sports management and athletic training majors so that would be good for athletics. I still think LHU should drop d2 football.

Could my prognostication come true that these schools go to sprint football? The league could be called the integrated/consolidated athletic association ... of Pennsylvania

Bloom should get to keep the Supply Chain Management track.

All of these releases are coming out of LH. Does anybody in Bloomsburg care (beyond Bart)?

Comment

So it explains why that is. It's a matter of convenience. Upon further reflection, they are all accredited so why would the most recent matter?
        Doesn't accreditation last a while too? Not like it expires soon.

Interestingly that the 2 most recent accredited schools are also the largest in the triads. In the West, Californias Pres isn't the Pres of the triad.

Comment

• While the athletics may still have some steps to go to be formally set in stone...every indication I've heard is that they plan to keep their individual teams. I feel like that's one of the things that been more defined in this.

Comment

• That's just poor research. There are several examples. University of Southern Illinois is one. Fairleigh Dickinson University is another. Long Island University ran two athletic departments until recently.

Comment

Perhaps we have been overlooking one important postulate:

To integrate requires integration.

- Lao-Tzu groundhog
              Well it is time to buy our school's apparel with our favorite logos. Its name-what passes not away; Laozi

Comment

• Originally posted by complaint_hopeful View Post

The Universities have no leverage in this. They think they do...but these schools have been failing financially for so long that some will be bankrupt within a few years if this Integration doesn't happen. In some cases, it's their only hope of survival. I'd say probably 4 schools fall into that category atleast especially with covid.

That said, the Integration itself is a concern. And the plan is going to have to be very good to work. There will be a price tag that is pretty high and we'll see how it gets funded. With that price tag, savings are going to be tough to come by early.

So instead of fighting this for political reasons, groups need to see this as a means of survival and help develop the plan..

There is a huge misconception that this is the Chancellors plan..It isn't. He's letting each triad develop it.
                Funny thing is, there's no way for the schools to be truly bankrupt. Cheyney was allowed to run on a deficit for years and ended up accumulating operational debt of twice its operating budget. Only the legislature can close a University. But... with this plan a campus can be closed. But they won't.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

That's just poor research. There are several examples. University of Southern Illinois is one. Fairleigh Dickinson University is another. Long Island University ran two athletic departments until recently.
                  Do those schools have separate accreditations or is it a unified accreditation?

Why would the NCAA not approve keeping individual athletic programs? Conflict of interest? Seriously. Why is it an issue?

Comment

Ok, so this is pretty earth-shaking. Dishes are falling off the shelf out in Mifflinburg.

I guess the benefit to Bloom is that they will get to have more administrators stay in town.

Hey, let's hope the NCAA allows for the schools to keep their full complements of intercollegiate sports. If they don't, what then?

At least LHU will likely get to keep all of their sports management and athletic training majors so that would be good for athletics. I still think LHU should drop d2 football.

Could my prognostication come true that these schools go to sprint football? The league could be called the integrated/consolidated athletic association ... of Pennsylvania

Bloom should get to keep the Supply Chain Management track.

All of these releases are coming out of LH. Does anybody in Bloomsburg care (beyond Bart)?
                    The whole this school keeps that program, etc...you mean in person? Because there will be 1 school when this is done. 1 budget. 1 bank account presumably.

So say Program A is offered in person on campus 1. Students at Campus 2 and Campus 3 would likely be able to enroll in that program via hybrid or online classes in some cases. Maybe it's successful and they expand it in person at the other 2? So ability to take classes at the other schools should increase.

I know it's tough to see this now...but Integration means campuses exist, but it's 1 school. Not 3 separate. And profits or losses are shared.

Comment

That's just poor research. There are several examples. University of Southern Illinois is one. Fairleigh Dickinson University is another. Long Island University ran two athletic departments until recently.
                      Yes! I would say Athletics is one of the easier parts of this Integration atleast initially. Now over time, they may decide to consolidate some teams depending on costs. But not initially.

I'd be more worried about how the funding gets distributed for sports when it's 1 budget. Like for football, will they balance scholarships or allow 1 school to have more.

Like in the West. Cal generally has a better football team than Edinboro and Clarion. Will that balance out? Will more resources go to Clarion?

Comment

Funny thing is, there's no way for the schools to be truly bankrupt. Cheyney was allowed to run on a deficit for years and ended up accumulating operational debt of twice its operating budget. Only the legislature can close a University. But... with this plan a campus can be closed. But they won't.
                        Yes - Well until the passhe acct is depleted which supposedly can happen. At that point, the system collapses.

Comment

Why would the NCAA not approve keeping individual athletic programs? Conflict of interest? Seriously. Why is it an issue?
                          I think the goal initially was 1 accreditation. I don't know if that changed after talking to middle states.

I think the ncaa will allow it.

Comment

The whole this school keeps that program, etc...you mean in person? Because there will be 1 school when this is done. 1 budget. 1 bank account presumably.

So say Program A is offered in person on campus 1. Students at Campus 2 and Campus 3 would likely be able to enroll in that program via hybrid or online classes in some cases. Maybe it's successful and they expand it in person at the other 2? So ability to take classes at the other schools should increase.

I know it's tough to see this now...but Integration means campuses exist, but it's 1 school. Not 3 separate. And profits or losses are shared.
                            I was being facetious (at least trying to be). It's esoteric. No problem.

Comment

Unsure. I think the only thing the NCAA would deny is one campus having multiple athletic departments.

Comment

Yes! I would say Athletics is one of the easier parts of this Integration atleast initially. Now over time, they may decide to consolidate some teams depending on costs. But not initially.

I'd be more worried about how the funding gets distributed for sports when it's 1 budget. Like for football, will they balance scholarships or allow 1 school to have more.

Like in the West. Cal generally has a better football team than Edinboro and Clarion. Will that balance out? Will more resources go to Clarion?
                                I think an upside is that maybe Cal has a superior way of managing and funding athletics and the other two adjust for the better.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X