Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ironmaniup View Post

Yes, that is part of it. But the SATs were re-calibrated since the last huge classes 10-15 years ago. So, it might not seems as if they lowered test score requirements, but they didn't raise them to account for the score inflation that has taken place. bottom line is that more kids are qualified to get into Pitt/PSU. Also, some programs at these schools, particularly science programs have higher standards than the basic entrance score requirement, because of the competitive admissions. once there were fewer students, lower performing students were now qualified.
    Students are better prepared for the SAT than ever before. The last couple generations were brought up on standardized testing and a lot of schools within the last 20 years started incorporating SAT prep into their curriculum. When the SAT flirted with a written exam, students still did as predicted based on where they attended. Average score is up ~50 points from the 90s.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

It places greater emphasis on their high school transcript. Its meant to reduce the cost to applicants. High school GPA is a more reliable metric for predicting student success than SAT score. Kids from lower income communities (rural & urban) also have less access to SAT prep or retaking the exam to achieve a high score. I was a B student in high school who did well on the SAT. My wife was an A student in high school who did very poorly on the SAT. One of us went to an upper middle class suburban high school, the other a small town high school. I took the PSAT and the SAT twice. If I wanted to I could have taken SAT prep courses after school. My wife's high school didn't give the PSAT and there was just one SAT date - the morning after a playoff basketball game and she was a cheerleader.

Comment

• Here's one reason IUP is struggling. Check out the two cheapest PASSHE schools.

Comment

• That's interesting. So, I guess the question is whether IUP can realign itself to the rest of the system cost-wise. Is there a reason IUP can't lower costs?

Comment

• Two big things driving this for IUP: only charging per-credit tuition (no flat rate for full time) and increased housing/dining costs. The tuition model hurts students who take 15-18 credits per semester (funny because you need to earn 15/semester to graduate in 4 years) and limited writing on it suggests it doesn't really change student scheduling behavior. Until now it probably helped put off some cuts and layoffs. IUP has also heavily invested in housing and dining facilities - traditionally those costs are pushed back on students by increasing fees.

Comment

• Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post
              That's interesting. So, I guess the question is whether IUP can realign itself to the rest of the system cost-wise. Is there a reason IUP can't lower costs?
              See question above. What I'm asking is whether IUP can lower their costs of attendance and gain enrollment as a result. For example, based on the info above, if they decreased costs by ~10% and it resulted in a 10% enrollment increase they would be at the same place. If it resulted in more than 10% they would be better off. So, it would seem that they have room to cut costs. Then we would know if price sensitivity is the cause of dropping enrollment.
              Last edited by iupgroundhog; 03-23-2021, 11:04 AM.

Comment

• The two universities doing the best, are the least expensive. Location probably is the bigger influence. Otherwise it's a draw, with the mergers affecting three universities above the average cost and three below.

Comment

Two big things driving this for IUP: only charging per-credit tuition (no flat rate for full time) and increased housing/dining costs. The tuition model hurts students who take 15-18 credits per semester (funny because you need to earn 15/semester to graduate in 4 years) and limited writing on it suggests it doesn't really change student scheduling behavior. Until now it probably helped put off some cuts and layoffs. IUP has also heavily invested in housing and dining facilities - traditionally those costs are pushed back on students by increasing fees.
                  I'm trying to think back on who it was on here that used to gloat that "West Chester is wAy behind IUP in the on campus housing replacement"

Comment

• I suspect that many schools would have built much less housing if they had it to do over. Many built, built, built at the peak of enrollment.

Comment

• The real winner in the Integration...consultants:

Everspring Selected by Pennsylvania State System of Higher Education (PASSHE) to Support Digital Growth Across System Universities (prnewswire.com)

There were consultants used for other parts too.

Comment

• Originally posted by complaint_hopeful View Post
                        The real winner in the Integration...consultants:

Everspring Selected by Pennsylvania State System of Higher Education (PASSHE) to Support Digital Growth Across System Universities (prnewswire.com)

There were consultants used for other parts too.
                        Correct. The two hours I spent with consultants today talking about what to name the new western university is time I can't get back.

Comment

Correct. The two hours I spent with consultants today talking about what to name the new western university is time I can't get back.
                          Hummmm...University of Intertech? Were the consultants named Bob and Bob??

Comment

• Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

Greenstein Western? Greenstein Northeastern? Who needs consultants?

Comment

• Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

Oh...there are a bunch of different consultant firms working on different aspects of this.

I like the Office Space reference!

Comment

• Originally posted by Horror Child View Post
                                I'm trying to think back on who it was on here that used to gloat that "West Chester is wAy behind IUP in the on campus housing replacement"
                                Last edited by IUPNation; 03-24-2021, 09:31 AM.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X