Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

It's doomed. IUP and SRU will use this to their advantage to grow in the West. Perhaps not publicly but certainly in recruiting they will use it as a put-down. Who wants a glorified branch campus? How much smaller can these schools actually get and still keep the lights on?

This all sounds like drawing up a Hail Mary play ... sort of a last-ditch prayer.
    It's hard to say. I think the Triads want to get their price down too. Until the details are presented, it's so hard to say.

Comment

It's doomed. IUP and SRU will use this to their advantage to grow in the West. Perhaps not publicly but certainly in recruiting they will use it as a put-down. Who wants a glorified branch campus? How much smaller can these schools actually get and still keep the lights on?

This all sounds like drawing up a Hail Mary play ... sort of a last-ditch prayer.
      I think the new brand is the biggest dooming factor. Consumers want to buy products they know from companies they trust. The whole disband passhe thing hurt that trust. And a new school has no brand.

I don't know that creating a new school but keeping old names will work. I think they're trying to please everyone, but it will be confusing.

Plus, there will be growing pains I'm sure. Ie Things won't be seamless for years. Hundreds of people are working on these in silos...that tends to lead to fragmentation.

Comment

Maybe that's the point...slowly kill three schools.

Again...Harrisburg is going about this the wrong way. The problem isn't the system itself. The problem is that the Harrisburg is being ****ty towards funding education thanks to rural Qpublicans who don't want educated people because they wind up voting Democrat...and this State System vs State Related. Why are you funding schools that you don't own? The Commonwealth of Pennsylvania does not own The Centre County Community College, The Oakland Remedial Academy and Temple. The reform has to be the way Harrisburg funds the schools they own and then find way to save costs. Either the State Related become State Owned Schools or cut the cord. They have 8.0 billion dollars in endowment between the three of them (most of it not Temple's). Who can justify the 400 million a year The Centre County Community College receives from Harrisburg when they have almost 4 billion sitting in their endowment?

Jesus Christ the revenue the Nits bring in for foosball alone could cover Cheyney's operating costs for a year.

Why is there no common sense about this. Stop ****ing protecting state related schools that don't need help and put the ones you own in a better position to educate students who can't or don't want to go in hock for a college education.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

I assumed the statistics being pushed by PASSHE this week were newer than 2015. If there is a new report, I'm working on finding it.
          So what you meant to say was "PASSHE released a tweet" and not the "state released a report".

Comment

• Originally posted by complaint_hopeful View Post

To me, that's where this discussion starts and ends. IF the state kept increasing the allocations equivalent to inflation...PASSHE would be thriving. We're 47th in funding! IF you put any of the 46 school systems above us at their 2000 funding numbers, I'd guess A LOT would struggle.

That said, no matter what statistics on ROI PASSHE puts out...I doubt the funding increases enough to help. The Integrations are what is proposed and that's the path I think they'll be pushed down to try to save this. I'd be curious how the ROI was calculated too. Like was it so high because the state contribution as a percentage is so low? Ie where if the state paid more, ROI decreased?
            You've posted this several times. Can you provide the reference so all of us can get angry?

Comment

• Originally posted by Horror Child View Post

You've posted this several times. Can you provide the reference so all of us can get angry?
              Does this suit your needs?

https://www.abc27.com/news/local/har...er%20education.

Comment

https://www.thecentersquare.com/penn...1cfd5e8fb.htmlhttps://www.inquirer.com/business/st...-20191127.html

Comment

So what you meant to say was "PASSHE released a tweet" and not the "state released a report".
                  Here's the newest PASSHE Appropriations request. In it, they have this:

Economic impact
                  According to a study conducted by Baker Tilly Virchow
                  Krause, LLP in 2015, State System universities contributed $4.4 billion in economic impact to Pennsylvania, representing $10.61 for every one dollar of public funds expended on the State System that year.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...=1617841364181

Comment

From the current Appropriations request linked to in previous post:

At this funding level, Pennsylvania ranks 48
                    th of 50 states in terms of educational appropriation per student Full Time Equivalent (FTE), representing a decline from FY 2018, where Pennsylvania was ranked 47th (Figure 19). Additional data from the State
                    Higher Education Executive Officers Association (SHEEO) lists Pennsylvania as ranked 47th in net tuition per FTE, spending $3,719 per student less than the 50-state average.

Comment

• https://www.mcall.com/opinion/mc-opi...nhy-story.html

Comment

• Interesting points. I think we won't know until the presentation to the board just how much of this is the Chancellors/Consultants plan vs how much is the committees.

Looks like this won't be presented to the board until the 28th:
                        Board of Governors Meeting Information | PA State System of Higher Education (passhe.edu)

Comment

Interesting points. I think we won't know until the presentation to the board just how much of this is the Chancellors/Consultants plan vs how much is the committees.

Looks like this won't be presented to the board until the 28th:
                          Board of Governors Meeting Information | PA State System of Higher Education (passhe.edu)
                          Some highlights of the April 15 system BOG agenda:
                          - Millersville is borrowing $140M+ to buy housing from an auxiliary.
                          - Mansfield is borrower $7M to stay afloat this year. This means Mansfield is running a big deficit this year and is out of reserves (savings). YIKES

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

Some highlights of the April 15 system BOG agenda:
                            - Millersville is borrowing $140M+ to buy housing from an auxiliary.
                            - Mansfield is borrower $7M to stay afloat this year. This means Mansfield is running a big deficit this year and is out of reserves (savings). YIKES
                            Interesting. Will Mansfield just evolve/devolve into a music academy where you can also study other things, but only online?

Comment

• Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

Interesting. Will Mansfield just evolve/devolve into a music academy where you can also study other things, but only online?
                              That's where the Integration comes in. It's 1 budget for 3 schools. That should enable them to offer a variety of classes...

Of course, until they deplete the reserves of the Triad. Hopefully that doesn't happen. I have no clue what Bloom and LH's finances look like.

Comment

That's where the Integration comes in. It's 1 budget for 3 schools. That should enable them to offer a variety of classes...

Of course, until they deplete the reserves of the Triad. Hopefully that doesn't happen. I have no clue what Bloom and LH's finances look like.
                                LHU recently claimed to have $45-50M cash reserves. This article from October 2020 has reserve totals for the system as of June 2019. I can't find anything newer.

https://www.post-gazette.com/news/ed...s/202010080115

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X