Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by complaint_hopeful View Post
    It's going to be interesting to see what happens to the fall enrollment for these institutions. I suspect the uncertainty will have an impact...which could throw this into chaos.
    I think it hurts. Integration sounds like merger sounds like closing. Nobody wants to attend what sounds like a failing school. Very few targeted students want to pay for an experience that seems to be mostly online when the same price can be paid for a fully in person experience at IUP or Slippery Rock - or as we've shown a little bit more for Pitt Bradford or Robert Morris.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bart View Post

Barletta is a Bloom grad, so there is some allegiance there.
      But is there? Its still early so he doesn't have much policy info out there beyond talking points you'd expect from a Republican looking to grow his national profile. I don't know how he can be pro public schools while also promoting school choice. However, he does say he wants to partner with major employers to keep graduates in PA. Maybe he'll run with Wolf's idea for PASSHE scholarships?

Comment

• I would vote for both of them. Barletta is always in the homecoming parade. I wanted former husky Governor Mark Schweiker to run in the past.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bart View Post

I would vote for both of them. Barletta is always in the homecoming parade. I wanted former husky Governor Mark Schweiker to run in the past.
          I don't have a vote in that one but Barletta has always been and will always be a racist to me.

Comment

• Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

I don't have a vote in that one but Barletta has always been and will always be a racist to me.
            Same.

Comment

• PA Dem Policy Committee having a live hearing on PASSHE Consolidation: https://pahouse.com/PolicyCommittee/events?ID=119739

Comment

• I listened to about an hour. Had to go then. I don't think the 3 anti-consolidation speakers did a great job. The one professor talked about how they waste money at Edinboro...and students don't go to a school because of Admin staff.

Then, the Chancellor came in with his polished presentation. Basically same one he did in Monday or Tuesdays hearing.

The anti-Integration focused on how layoffs are bad for communities. But, once again...layoffs are happening whether the Integration happens or not.

In this call, he indeed said that Edinboro's reserves are depleted. In the last call Clarions. (This call was mainly with people from Erie it seemed.)

Comment

• A good reason that focusing on online isn't a stable business plan: Penn State's world campus loses almost 60% of its students after one year and just 18% graduate in 4 years. That's Penn State.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

I think it hurts. Integration sounds like merger sounds like closing. Nobody wants to attend what sounds like a failing school. Very few targeted students want to pay for an experience that seems to be mostly online when the same price can be paid for a fully in person experience at IUP or Slippery Rock - or as we've shown a little bit more for Pitt Bradford or Robert Morris.
                    I've thought this all along. It should be a huge boom for IUP and SRU. Do you want the JV game or the varsity. I see both IUP and SRU pushing this angle very hard in recruiting -- probably not in official literature but surely on campus tours, etc.

Comment

• I have heard that's happening with recruiting.

Then, when their revenue goes up...they can cross-subsidize the West Triad who has 2 schools with no reserves. I'm sort of joking, but it could play put like that.

Comment

I listened to about an hour. Had to go then. I don't think the 3 anti-consolidation speakers did a great job. The one professor talked about how they waste money at Edinboro...and students don't go to a school because of Admin staff.

Then, the Chancellor came in with his polished presentation. Basically same one he did in Monday or Tuesdays hearing.

The anti-Integration focused on how layoffs are bad for communities. But, once again...layoffs are happening whether the Integration happens or not.

In this call, he indeed said that Edinboro's reserves are depleted. In the last call Clarions. (This call was mainly with people from Erie it seemed.)
                        Sam Claster, the professor at Edinboro who spoke, has a unique perspective. He grew up in Lock Haven, went to Edinboro, teaches at Edinboro, and lives in Edinboro.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

Sam Claster, the professor at Edinboro who spoke, has a unique perspective. He grew up in Lock Haven, went to Edinboro, teaches at Edinboro, and lives in Edinboro.
                          I feel like he does a good job presenting his case.

Comment

I feel like he does a good job presenting his case.
                            Yes. I know all three people who spoke. Sam and I overlapped in our time as Edinboro students but I don't remember him. Met him on the last president search. He totally gets it. Forgot to mention that his wife is an Edinboro professor too. Unsure about their job situations with consolidation. Lydia's dad was the first professor I had at Edinboro. He was famous for learning your name on the first class and being pretty good at remembering it years later. He was something special. MJ was also one of my professors teaching history of education. She's stayed local after retirement and sits on the Foundation board. All good speakers but all flowing through the faculty perspective. I was disappointed in the student speakers - they are ones who have enough regular contact with leadership (who must 100% buy in to consolidation) to take this at face value. I want to hear from student leaders who don't feel pressure to appease leadership - the fraternity council president, the sports team captain, the RA, etc.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

I've thought this all along. It should be a huge boom for IUP and SRU. Do you want the JV game or the varsity. I see both IUP and SRU pushing this angle very hard in recruiting -- probably not in official literature but surely on campus tours, etc.
                              Maybe that is the point of this whole charade..

Comment

• I thought this was well written and spot on. The objections need to be considered as hmm maybe this could be issues later:

https://sethkahn.wordpress.com/2021/...consolidation/

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X