Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PASSHE with a video about honoring history and traditions.

https://youtu.be/n7RTWXzaWJk

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
      PASSHE annual debt payments per school.

Comment

• There were a few things that happened:

1) PA provided a cash infusion partly to extinguish a lawsuit over racial discrimination in Cheyney funding over the years. This is starting to happen in other states right now. PA paid for some facilities upgrades and provided some one-time cash.

2) West Chester is just a few miles down the road and agreed to take on some administrative functions, particularly ones that had put Cheyney in hot water with the feds over lack of proper oversight. This allowed Cheyney to outsource administration costs at no expense.

3) Cheyney was borrowing money just to pay the bills. PASSHE agreed to eliminate the debt if Cheyney could create a balanced budget. It all happened successfully - but only with the proper help mentioned in #1 and #2. Harris is correct.

Cheyney also eliminated athletics. This is a dumb move because they lost all that tuition money and any from students who don't want to attend a school without athletics or really free things to do in the evening or on a weekend. Especially given their isolated location. Literally nothing to walk to from campus. 3 mile walk to the closest Wawa on West Chester Pike. Can you imagine being from an urban neighborhood or really any walkable town and having nothing to walk to? If I recall correctly, the road from WC Pike to Cheyney is through a wooded area without shoulders. Scary for some I bet.

Comment

There were a few things that happened:

1) PA provided a cash infusion partly to extinguish a lawsuit over racial discrimination in Cheyney funding over the years. This is starting to happen in other states right now. PA paid for some facilities upgrades and provided some one-time cash.

2) West Chester is just a few miles down the road and agreed to take on some administrative functions, particularly ones that had put Cheyney in hot water with the feds over lack of proper oversight. This allowed Cheyney to outsource administration costs at no expense.

3) Cheyney was borrowing money just to pay the bills. PASSHE agreed to eliminate the debt if Cheyney could create a balanced budget. It all happened successfully - but only with the proper help mentioned in #1 and #2. Harris is correct.

Cheyney also eliminated athletics. This is a dumb move because they lost all that tuition money and any from students who don't want to attend a school without athletics or really free things to do in the evening or on a weekend. Especially given their isolated location. Literally nothing to walk to from campus. 3 mile walk to the closest Wawa on West Chester Pike. Can you imagine being from an urban neighborhood or really any walkable town and having nothing to walk to? If I recall correctly, the road from WC Pike to Cheyney is through a wooded area without shoulders. Scary for some I bet.
          Yeah. What is beyond scary is that Rep. Harris had to correct the record on Cheyney. Clearly, for top decision-makers to be making the references to Cheyney's "success" that they did is complete incompetence.

As far as athletics at the new Cheyney, as I understand their new mission that is not part of the direction of the school. It's all about academics.

Comment

• Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

Yeah. What is beyond scary is that Rep. Harris had to correct the record on Cheyney. Clearly, for top decision-makers to be making the references to Cheyney's "success" that they did is complete incompetence.

As far as athletics at the new Cheyney, as I understand their new mission that is not part of the direction of the school. It's all about academics.
            I wonder what they're doing with the facilities. Maybe IUPNation can do a drive by and give us a conditions update on the football field? It may be in its best shape yet haha

Comment

• Think you've stumbled on to IUP's new ad campaign slogan!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

That he said that is pretty shocking. It's disrespectful. It's dismissive of the views of the general public. Don't be manipulated by this guy.

The purpose of a comment period is to get feedback from the public, AKA "opinions." The purpose of that 60 day comment period is NOT to obtain actionable policy ideas from the public. that's the job of the policymakers. Hello?

What he's doing now is distraction. What is germane about the comments is how many support the plan and how many oppose it, or question it. He doesn't want to address that. He's not going to confront the idea that it's unpopular. That would mean his defeat and put a crimp in his career objectives.

It's apparent that this guy is going to try to jam this down the throats of Pennsylvanians, regardless of anything anybody else says.

For beginners, the whole thing is no good without a decision fro the NCAA and I don't think that is forthcoming. I really do think it is going to be a disaster. With the money and energy already spent on it, it already is a disaster. Especially for the schools in the West.
                I agree that being dismissive of the views expressed in the public comment period is not a good look. But more concerning is that only 299 people felt the issue important enough to comment at all! Heck, a township probably generates more comments if they propose increasing the fine for unleashed dogs by $5!! Seems like very few people care what happens to the PASSHE and the two 3-school triumverats.

Comment

• West Chester wants to build more student housing: https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...t-housing.html

More on the public merger meetings: https://www.penncapital-star.com/blo...blic-meetings/

Comment

There were a few things that happened:

Last edited by IUPNation; 06-02-2021, 01:32 PM.

Comment

I wonder what they're doing with the facilities. Maybe IUPNation can do a drive by and give us a conditions update on the football field? It may be in its best shape yet haha
                      I can do that one day soon.

Comment

• Well, the 4 public comment Zoom meetings have happened. I listened to most of them. I think 1 person was in support of this and everyone else against.

It got fiery at times. Sometimes people even cried. People pleaded to stop the Integration or atleast pause it.

And, people were calling the Chancellor out as well as some of the President's for texting, eating, and not paying attention during the Zoom. <-- That was a really bad optic. It looks like they didn't care. They basically sat there expressionless for most of it and occasionally when they presumably received a text would crack a slight smile.

Comment

• Originally posted by complaint_hopeful View Post
                          Well, the 4 public comment Zoom meetings have happened. I listened to most of them. I think 1 person was in support of this and everyone else against.

It got fiery at times. Sometimes people even cried. People pleaded to stop the Integration or atleast pause it.

And, people were calling the Chancellor out as well as some of the President's for texting, eating, and not paying attention during the Zoom. <-- That was a really bad optic. It looks like they didn't care. They basically sat there expressionless for most of it and occasionally when they presumably received a text would crack a slight smile.

This was a necessary evil for them. They don't give two you-know-whats as to what was being said.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

This was a necessary evil for them. They don't give two you-know-whats as to what was being said.
                            That seemed to be what people were saying too. They'll likely go forward despite all the public outcry.

Comment

• Originally posted by complaint_hopeful View Post

That seemed to be what people were saying too. They'll likely go forward despite all the public outcry.
                              Is this guy just a puppet for the useless GQP hacks in Harrisburg?

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X