Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheyney University will erase unpaid student bills since the start of the pandemic

Cheyney University will erase unpaid student bills since the start of the pandemic - pennlive.com

Comment

• Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

So by and large, the current PASSHE schools started out as vocational schools and over time expanded their offerings and ultimately became universities. Beyond the timing (PASSHE schools did this in the late 1800's and Penn College is in the process now), how is what Penn College is doing by expanding its offerings into Bachelor programs any different that what the PASSHE schools did?
      Kind of. The normal schools became State Teachers Colleges when a teacher license required a bachelors degree. There is a similar evolution for private universities that started as business & accounting schools with the requirements to become a CPA. Penn College has indeed expanded into business & nursing programs as well as some professional art programs like graphic design & video game design. Those 100% cut into PASSHE and I'm surprised the vocal Lock Haven crowd didn't bring it up. Its possible they don't even know. But Penn College is also open admission and lacks a lot of the expected campus/town experience that you get at Lock Haven or Lycoming. Penn College's campus is oddly isolated even though they use some spaces in town like the old theater.

Comment

• https://www.post-gazette.com/news/ed...s/202108030097

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

Kind of. The normal schools became State Teachers Colleges when a teacher license required a bachelors degree. There is a similar evolution for private universities that started as business & accounting schools with the requirements to become a CPA. Penn College has indeed expanded into business & nursing programs as well as some professional art programs like graphic design & video game design. Those 100% cut into PASSHE and I'm surprised the vocal Lock Haven crowd didn't bring it up. Its possible they don't even know. But Penn College is also open admission and lacks a lot of the expected campus/town experience that you get at Lock Haven or Lycoming. Penn College's campus is oddly isolated even though they use some spaces in town like the old theater.
          As I mentioned a while back Penn College started a Physicians Assistant program which you would expect to cut into LHU's program. Oh, I'm sure they are aware of PCT. As for the locations of campus buildings I guess it is kind of haphazard. Not sure. BTW, I remember when PCT was just WACC. (pron. whack)

Comment

• Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

As I mentioned a while back Penn College started a Physicians Assistant program which you would expect to cut into LHU's program. Oh, I'm sure they are aware of PCT. As for the locations of campus buildings I guess it is kind of haphazard. Not sure. BTW, I remember when PCT was just WACC. (pron. whack)
            Good point. Can you imagine being in programs like PA and BSN that have incredible knowledge requirements when most other students around you are in open admission programs?

Comment

• Originally posted by complaint_hopeful View Post
              Cheyney University will erase unpaid student bills since the start of the pandemic

Cheyney University will erase unpaid student bills since the start of the pandemic - pennlive.com
              A whole lot of HBCUs did the same thing. Good for them. Number one reason kids don't continue is that they run out of money. Erase the balance and it decreases the likelihood they borrow to pay the balance and the likelihood they drop out.

Comment

A whole lot of HBCUs did the same thing. Good for them. Number one reason kids don't continue is that they run out of money. Erase the balance and it decreases the likelihood they borrow to pay the balance and the likelihood they drop out.
                https://digital.olivesoftware.com/Ol...Required=false

Comment

• Ahh Tom. I remember when he used to post on here.

Comment

Ahh Tom. I remember when he used to post on here.
                    He was the SID back when, and later it was David Leisinring, who has now left Bloom for a job outside athletics. Bloom looking for a new SID.

Comment

• Comment

• So I know of one school that was trending around a 20% loss last I heard. Then a couple others that were around a 6 to 7% loss, but I haven't heard updates to those numbers. The one losing 20% was already in really bad shape.

Interesting, it looks like they attribute the pandemic for the loss. Could it be all the bad press from the Integration? I mean, there were students supposed to take a gap year because of the pandemic. Wouldn't that mean you'd get more students now when that gap year ended?

Could it really be all the bad press from the Integration? When you have public meetings, and all but 1 person calls in against something...that's a pretty big message being sent.

But...the pandemic is a pretty convenient fallguy. :-)

Comment

• Comment

• Sounds like they are running out of people to blame ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Bart View Post

He was the SID back when, and later it was David Leisinring, who has now left Bloom for a job outside athletics. Bloom looking for a new SID.
                              Being an SID these days is a tough job. It's not just writing game previews, recaps, and tracking stats.

Comment

• Originally posted by WarriorVoice View Post

Being an SID these days is a tough job. It's not just writing game previews, recaps, and tracking stats.
                                Agree. Its mostly website & social media management and media relations anymore. That's not natural to some folks.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X