Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

We know that. But +5% for the city and the region is a big thing after declining from 1950-2010. Plus, when comparing to Phoenix keep in mind that the City of Philadelphia is 145 square miles - very compact city limits. Phoenix is a sprawling 716 square miles. The media seems to also be comparing the 1.6 mil in Philly ( 145 sq. miles) to Allegheny County 's 1.2 mil (745 sq. miles).

BTW, how is Philly a 3rd rate city? In football?
    Last edited by IUPNation; 08-13-2021, 01:42 PM.

Comment

• And if Dormont was as big as Philadelphia, . . . . anyway, People don't like densely populated places, unless there is some redeeming value there. NYC, San Francisco, and Chicago all have great mass transit, Coast line, good highways, good food, great culture and entertainment. Philly does not. I suppose its easy to dunk on Westmoreland county, but so what ? Its like Pitt Bragging about beating Youngstown state.
      Last edited by ironmaniup; 08-13-2021, 04:53 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by ironmaniup View Post

And if Dormont was as big as Philadelphia, . . . . anyway, People don't like densely populated places, unless there is some redeeming value there. NYC, San Francisco, and Chicago all have great mass transit, Coast line, good highways, good food, great culture and entertainment. Philly does not. I suppose its easy to dunk on Westmoreland county, but so what ? Its like Pitt Bragging about beating Youngstown state.
        Last edited by IUPNation; 08-14-2021, 07:06 AM.

Comment

• I saw this headline and thought it is too bad Slippery Rock backed out of the mergers. Rock Haven would have been a cool name for their new university.

Students returning to Rock Haven in Mansfield, Bloomsburg must bring a mask | COVID-19
          https://pennsylvanianewstoday.com/st...vid-19/207205/

Comment

• Originally posted by Bart View Post
            I saw this headline and thought it is too bad Slippery Rock backed out of the mergers. Rock Haven would have been a cool name for their new university.

Students returning to Rock Haven in Mansfield, Bloomsburg must bring a mask | COVID-19
            https://pennsylvanianewstoday.com/st...vid-19/207205/
            Just a stones throw away.

Comment

• Lots of suburban Philly kids still going to PASSHE schools, For most these kids the only difference between a hick town and their life in Philly is that they eat the trash at Sheetz instead of the trash at Wawa, and things cost more and they stand in line longer for everyday stuff in Philly

Comment

• Originally posted by ironmaniup View Post

Lots of suburban Philly kids still going to PASSHE schools, For most these kids the only difference between a hick town and their life in Philly is that they eat the trash at Sheetz instead of the trash at Wawa, and things cost more and they stand in line longer for everyday stuff in Philly
                Last edited by IUPNation; 08-14-2021, 11:32 AM.

Comment

• I loved growing up in the sixties;"the movement for women's rights, civil rights, an increase in tolerance for differences and diversity, and technological breakthroughs, rising unprecedented affluence and social conscience". Not to mention sex, drugs, and rock and roll. The sixties had the best music. JFK was elected in 1960 and there was hope in the air.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bart View Post

I loved growing up in the sixties;"the movement for women's rights, civil rights, an increase in tolerance for differences and diversity, and technological breakthroughs, rising unprecedented affluence and social conscience". Not to mention sex, drugs, and rock and roll. The sixties had the best music. JFK was elected in 1960 and there was hope in the air.
                    It was the sex. Admit it. :-D

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

Might just be a clerical thing. If you open the 2021 schedule and change the year to 2022 or 2023 in the URL they open.

Comment

• I'm fairly sure they won't consolidate sports...atleast initially.

Now if the enrollment situation at these schools continues to fail...and Fall is likely to be rough...then who knows what they'll do to cut costs?

When they submit to the ncaa...the ncaa will basically tell them what they need to do to make it work. Then, they'll adjust the structure.

Comment

• I feel like PASSHE is at an inflection point for other reasons too. The state begrudgingly gave PASSHE more money for these Integrations. The Integration Plans had very lofty expectations that might be unreachable. Like positive enrollment growth for 5 years, etc. I think there is a general consensus that they're going to have all these cost saving measures, etc.

It's easy to see costs in these Plans, but harder to see savings that cover the costs. And it's really hard to see schools that haven't grown a single year for the last decade...starting to grow. I really feel like when they look at what they spent on these Integrations and the actual savings...that if they calculate the savings based of of what you really pay for things and not list price...that it may cost more than it saves when they do a post mortem on this in the future.

So Greenstein and the board unanimously passed this thing, but I feel like it's going to be heavily scrutinized. Well, there are rumblings that Fall enrollment isn't looking good. There are rumblings that the costs of Integrations are way high. With more costs seemingly being identified as time goes on.

As soon as it starts to become apparent that the conditions in these Integration Plans aren't going to be achieved, it will be interesting to see what the legislature does. Will the go nuclear and try to close schools? Will they force the Chancellor and some President's out? Will they keep dumping money into this? It will be interesting.

Of course, enrollment could rise. They could find cost savings. etc. I'm rooting for that.

Comment

• https://www.universityworldnews.com/...21082011023382

Comment

• That is maybe the most disingenuous part of Greenstein's blather. It's a massive rip-off for Lock Haven. According to Greenstein even though these accounts were maintained separately by institution, technically and legally it's all one account so it doesn't belong to LH even if it exists because of their fiscal management. That's an unbelievable scam.

I credit the publication and author for writing about this but it is also stuff pretty much covered in this thread. They are a little bit removed from our reality. For example, they think the former Hammermill plant in Lock Haven made hammers.

Comment

• Yep. So why do Triads? Why not view PASSHE as 1 entity if its 1 bank account anyways?

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X